Menu

Reaction Extents/Components of Air

2017-03-05
2017-03-05
  • Nick Tiwari

Nick Tiwari - 2017-03-05

Hi Everyone,
    I am currently trying to solve a reactor with a specified mole fraction of a reactant (ethylene) in the inlet stream. In the reactor there are two simultaneous reactions, and I am given the selectivity (and thereby the extent of reaction) for both. I've selected a basis for ethylene, and would like for DWSIM to calculate the products based upon the extents for these simultaneous reactions. Is there any way to do this?

Additionally, one of the input streams is air, but only oxygen is involved in the reaction. Is there any way to get DWSIM to calculate the amount of inerts being produced from the intake of the specified volume of oxygen? I've been trying to split up the components of air when creating a new reaction, but it has not worked.

Thanks,
    Nick

• Gregor Reichert

Gregor Reichert - 2017-03-06

Hi Nick,
    you need to use the conversion reactor.
    You have to add two reactions of type "Conversion reaction" to your reaction set.

Instead of the component "Air" you need to use the components "Nitrogen" and "Oxygen".

As an alternative you also could use the equilibrium reactor or the Gibbs reactor (use calculation mode: "Reaction Extend"). In this case the selectivity will be calculated automatically.

Gregor