Menu

Decrypt iso using key from disc?

2022-06-27
2022-06-27
  • Erik Jensen

Erik Jensen - 2022-06-27

I have a disc that has some scratches and copying the files from from the disc with Foobar2000 as I normally would fails. However, I was able to extract a full (encrypted) iso of the disc using ddrescue and two different drives. If I open the disc directly with Foobar2000, the plugin fetches the key from the disc and playback starts successfully. However, unsurprisingly, playing back the iso fails because the tracks are still encrypted and in this case the plugin doesn't have the key.

Is there any way to use the key fetched from the disc to decrypt the files from the rescued iso?

Thanks!

• Erik Jensen

Erik Jensen - 2022-06-27

Naturally I finally found a solution shortly after posting (though please let me know if there's a better one):

1. Extract all of the files from the AUDIO_TS folder in the rescue iso except “DVDAUDIO.MKB” and “DVDAUDIO.BUP” into a new folder.
    2. Open the physical disc with Foobar2000 and stop playback.
    3. Right click a track→File operations→Copy to…
    4. Make sure “Copy entire source folder content” is checked and “File name” is %filename% as usual.
    5. For “Destination”, select the folder containing the files (“AUDIO_TS.IFO”, et cetera) extracted in step 1.
    6. Click “Run”

Foobar2000 will refuse to overwrite the files extracted in step 1, so all but two of the file operations will fail with “Object already exists” and Foobar2000 won't actually try to copy any of those files from the disc. Nevertheless, just “DVDAUDIO.MKB” and “DVDAUDIO.BUP” (which weren't extracted in step 1) being successfully copied in step 6 appears to be sufficient to kick off the plugin's decryption phase, which will then go through and decrypt all of the AOB files extracted from the rescue iso.

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

readme.txt:

If AUDIO_TS follder is copied from protected disc (Right-Click -> File Operations -> Copy to...) it will be automatically decrypted.
    Select "Destination Folder", check "Copy Entire source Folder Content", enter "File Name Pattern" as %filename%, click "Run".
    See console output for operation progress.

After this procedure you should have playable copy of the original disc.

• Erik Jensen

Erik Jensen - 2022-06-27

Yes, that's what I usually do. It didn't work in this case due to scratches on the disc preventing the files from being correctly copied by Foobar2000, hence needing to use ddrescue (and two different optical drives) to successfully create an iso backup of the disc. The trick was figuring out, once I had successfully created the encrypted iso backup and extracted the AUDIO_TS files from it, how to coax the plugin to decrypt those files, using the key from the physical disc, without copying all of the files from the disc again (which would fail due to the scratches).

I tried a few different approaches to get that to happen, sometimes failing to trigger the automatic decryption step and sometimes triggering the decryption step and having it fail, but the steps in my second post are what finally worked for me.

• Maxim V.Anisiutkin

I'm sorry that I've totally missed what you've asked. As far as I remember the procedure of decrypting AUDIO_TS files is:
    1. Put encrypted .AOBs in some folder. .IFOs aren't needed because they're not encrypted.
    2. Do "Copy to..." to this folder, but leave "Copy entire source folder content" unchecked.
    Then foobar copies AUDIO_TS.IFO to this folder and decrypts all encrypted .AOBs.