Understanding DVB-T2 code

Help
Tabinda
2014-06-26
2014-06-26
  • Tabinda

Tabinda - 2014-06-26

Hello!

The white paper "DVB-T2 Common Simulation Platform" (http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP196.pdf) provide a good overview of the code but is there any documentation that can give in-depth understanding of the code (e.g. usage of variables, inter-dependency of different functions etc.)?

Secondly, in one of the help topic a link is given to understand the IQ file i.e. ftp://ftp.kw.bbc.co.uk/pub/t2mi, but the URL doesn't open. Can you help on this too?

• Oliver Haffenden

Sorry, the link should have been ftp://ftp.kw.bbc.co.uk/t2refs/t2mi. I've found and corrected the post.

There isn't any other documentation besides WHP196 (and a section of WHP216). The intention was that the White Paper would explain the overall principles such that somebody with a good knowledge of MATLAB and of DVB-T2 could work out how any given bit of code works by reading the code. Note that this requires an understanding of DVB-T2 itself; the system is specified in ETSI EN 302 755 and explained in detail in TS 102 831. Most of the modules in the "tx" directory correspond directly to sections of the DVB-T2 specification, and the block diagram (figure 2) in WHP196 also shows the signal flow and relates the tx modules to the elements of EN 302 755. Most of the parameters are named either after the corresponding L1 signalling parameters or the symbols used for those parameters in the specification (e.g. C_DATA corresponds to the symbol C subscript data in the specification). By comparing a clause of the specification with the corresponding code, you should be able to see how the code simply implements the equations or diagrams in the specification. There is further guidance in section 4 of WHP196, in which each module is described in turn. Furthermore there are comments in the code which can help to explain it.

If there is a particular part of the code that you don't understand, then please ask here and I will try to help.