Oracle Trigger issue

2004-08-10
2004-08-15
  • Steve Michael

Steve Michael - 2004-08-10

Again, thanks for all the hard work.  But I have hit another small issue. 

When I generate my Oracle DDL it works great until it hits a trigger.  It never puts a "/"  (without the quotes) at the end of the generated DDL.  So my trigger should end like
    create trigger xxx on yyyy for each row
    begin
      blah blah blah
    end;
    /

It does not put the / at the end so the DDL blows up when run.

I have tried to manually put the / at the end but then it adds a ";" after it.  So that doesn't work either.

Thanks again.

P.S. I am on Druid 3.5 build 38

• Andrea Carboni

Andrea Carboni - 2004-08-11

Do you need a / after the ; ? Another user says that the ; is missing and I'm getting confused a bit.

Maybe you have changed the terminating char from ; to / but in this case the normal CREATE TABLE statements should not work. Can you provide a more detailed explanation ?

Cheers,
      Andrea

PS : the build refers to your project not to druid (that is, how many times you save it).

• Steve Michael

Steve Michael - 2004-08-11

I have not changed any default setting in the program.  When I go to create a trigger it automatically puts in a begin and end statement.  That look like:
      BEGIN
      END

I then delete out the ... and put in the following
      SELECT product_pk_seq.nextval INTO :new.product_id FROM dual;

(the sequence is already there and works).

I then generate the DDL and the DDL looks like:

REM ----------------------------------------------------------------------

CREATE TRIGGER Product_PK BEFORE INSERT ON Product
         FOR EACH ROW
      BEGIN
      SELECT product_pk_seq.nextval INTO :new.product_id FROM dual;
      END;

REM ======================================================================

It should have a / after the END; So the last line of code that is not a remark should look like
      END;
      /

Now if I try and put a / in with the trigger the program seems to think it should always append a "';" after my last character so I get something like
      END /;

I then tried to put a ";" after the end and my generated DDL looked like
      END;
      /;

Again when a user tries to enter a new trigger it appears that the program will always add a ";" to the end of their statement.  This is ok, but if it does that, in Oracle it should also add a / after the last ";"  My suggestion would be to drop the ";" adding and force the user to enter it.  Just a suggestion though. 

Thanks again

• Andrea Carboni

Andrea Carboni - 2004-08-15

I got it. Thanks.