SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Having trouble running

Help
2004-04-05
2004-04-08
  • Brandon Fritz

Brandon Fritz - 2004-04-05

I get this error trying to run drpython (latest)

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "./drpython.py", line 77, in ?
        from wxPython.wx import *
    ImportError: No module named wxPython.wx

using python 2.3.3
    I installed the wxPython and wxGTK still nothing

• Daniel Pozmanter

Try "import wx".  Does this work?

What OS are you running?  Do you have multiple versions of Python installed on your computer?
      which version of wxPython did you install?  You have to use the version of wxPython which directly corresponds to your Python version (the one that corresponds to 2.3.3 in your case).

From the info provided, I can only guess that either:
      This is something new with wxPython 2.5.1,
      You installed wxPython to an older version of Python than the one you are currently using,
      You are using an olde version of python instead
      of the latest one on your machine,
      You have the incorrect version of wxPython,
      or wxPython hates you.

Cheers,
      Dan

• Daniel Pozmanter

This is a wxPython 2.5.1 thing.  First, make sure you have removed wxPython 2.4.x from your system.

Now wait patiently for DrPython 2.4.0.  :)

Sorry, but I am still working out the kinks.  I will try to get 2.4.0 out as soon as I can.

The plus side is DrPython looks MUCH nicer with wxPython2.5.1 if you use the version built with wxGTK 2.4.  However be aware this causes some extra memory to be used (but what's a couple megs when eye candy is involved?)

• Brandon Fritz

Brandon Fritz - 2004-04-06

Python: 2.3.3
      DrPython: 2.3.5 Latest
      wxPython : Latest (2.5.1?)

I also have python 2.something.something installed but 2.3.3 is the default when called by name (python). I installed wxPython via rpm. called drpython.py, .pyw, .lin and I get that error.  Also whan I installed wxPython there were no files with the ext .wx installed.  Would it be better if I compiled from source (so aggravating)? I don't have any other wxPython version isntalled. I will try uninstalling the older python version.

• Brandon Fritz

Thats RH 9 btw.

• Daniel Pozmanter

the wxPython version is key.  I get this same error
      when running DrPython with 2.5.1.
      If you use an older version of wxPython, stuff should be fine.  In the meantime, I am trying to get DrPython to play nice with wxPython 2.5.1.

At issue is that wxEXEC_ASYNC does not work (wxExecute()), which means the prompt is useless.

there does not need to be a file with the extension ".wx".  That is python syntax.

Again, this really does seem to be an issue with wxPython 2.5.1.
      Try removing wxPython 2.5.1, then
      installing wxPython 2.4.x.  Then all should be well.

DrPython 2.4.0 should support 2.5.1, unless something messy occurs, or I cannot resolve the exExecute() problem.

• Daniel Pozmanter

Update:

If you use the GTK version (NOT GTK2) of 2.5.1 with drpython 2.4.0 (currently in cvs), it should work.

The SYNC problem is in wxPython for GTK2.

Cheers,
      Dan

• Daniel Pozmanter

ARRRGH!  Alright....

wxPython 2.5.1 is seductive, but what the GTK2 version lacks, the GTK version has, while lacking some equally eseential thing the GTK2 version has!

I am going to try to mess around with the GTK2 version,
      and see where that takes me.

In the meantime, wxPython 2.4.x will work with the current release of DrPython.  Check the news when 2.4.0 comes out, to see if it will work with 2.5.1, and which version (GTK or GTK2) works.

Cheers,
      Dan

• Brandon Fritz

Ok one more question.

What packages exactly do I need to install to run it.

OOps my mistake I was using wxPython 2.4.x.  I never download devel versions because I'm not that good at c or c++.  I prefer assembly language. And no that doesn't make me a masochist (humor) anyway do I need to install pygtk or the sorts. I had wxGTK2 and wxPythonGTK2-py2.3 installed. Via rpm.

• Daniel Pozmanter

???
      Kill wxPythonGTK20py2.3.
      Remove it.
      Get <a href="https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10718&package_id=10559&release_id=188259">This</a>.

As of right now, 2.5.1 does not work with DrPython.  The ability to run a sub process without having to wait for it to exit has not yet been implemented, and this is essential to DrPython.

Cheers,
      Dan

• Daniel Pozmanter

Here is that URL again for your clicking pleasure.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10718&package_id=10559&release_id=188259

Again, I'm not sure what is up with wxPython, hopefully the next version will allow wxEXEC_ASYNC as an option for the wonderful wxExecute function.

• Brandon Fritz

Ok i downloaded from the link you posted. and I still get the same error.

• Daniel Pozmanter

try boa constructor or pype.  Do either of those work?

If not, then remove all python, wxpython, from you system.

Do a fresh install of python 2.3, and grab the python 2.3 version of wxPython 2.4.x.

Then make sure wherever your python libs are installed (/usr/lib/python2.3/)
      has a directory "wxPython" in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.

If yes(pype and boa work), then try downloading the cvs version of drpython.  Does that work?

• Brandon Fritz

Brandon Fritz - 2004-04-08

There's a small problem with that.  I can't remove python2.2 because it is dependent on some Redhat apps written in python.  There is a wxPython directory in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages. I will try the cvs version in the next week (hopefully).  I barely get a chance to get on my computer.  Anyway I will post if it works or not.