Menu

"Failed to clone image file"

Help
2020-06-25
2020-07-04
  • Mystical Atheist

I made a partition image of my system (I surmise) and need to restore it.
    I would like to identify the menu choices I made, but it is too complicated. Eventually I was presented with a file with "IMG" on the end and selected it as the repository. Somewhere in the stream of menus I selected as destination of restored image "sdb2".
    I used "beginner mode"
    I selected "restoredisk", and proceeded through menus until I got a message that it could not be restored. So I started over and selected "restorePartition". This time I was allowed to proceed and I selected a longer-named file with the original partition label embedded (SDB5), and in screen that requests "choose the partition from image to restore to destination" I again selected the one choice I had, "sdb5 disk(sdb) partition(5).
    On next screen I selected ""check image", then selected OK and partclone 0.3.13 checked the images, and it reported that my image could be restored. When it was finished, I was asked if I was sure I wanted to write to my target partition. I approved the write operation , and clonezilla reported "Finished unicast restoring image ... Informing the OS of partition table changes .... done!"
    The very next message was "Failed to restore partition image file .... restoring the image to a different partition, check faq on clonezilla website."
    I looked up the faq and I was told a few things. One was that I do not need to have a formatted partition to restore to. Another was that Clonezilla generally does not restore to a different partition. This faq proceeded to give an elaborate procedure for restoring to a differently labeled partition. I do not know what to believe, but one strategy I may try is to give Clonezilla a blank harddrive, and see if it creates the partition sdb5 so the partition will have the correct label.
    Too bad for me that the original partition has already been reformatted (why I am so desperate to restore the clonezilla backup), and a new system has been installed. So I guess now I am supposed to recreate the harddrive partition arrangement of the original drive, so clonezilla will see a partition with the label it was expecting. I hope it doesn't also look for the identical UUID, too! I hope this plan works, as so many of my other strategies have not.
    If Mr. Shaiu would like to suggest a better, more direct way to recover my data, I would like to hear it.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-07-04

If the image is restorable, then not a big issue. Yes, you can restore that on a blank partition. Or you can try to restore that on a virtual machine (Virtualbox or VMWare WS).

Steven