Clone dual boot.

Help
Francy2007
2024-01-23
2024-02-14
  • Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-23

Hello everyone,
    I have a dual boot with Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon on Hdd. Is it possible with Clonezilla to clone dual boot on SSD and with which command? By connecting the cloned SSD to the PC, would you have grub as the first mask for choosing the operating system at the first startup?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Best regards.

Vincent

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-23

Thank you very much!!!

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-24

I apologize, with the cloned ssd i would have Grub as the first mask for choosing the operating system at first startup?
    Best regards.

Vincent

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2024-01-25

I actually do not understand what your question is. Could you please describe more?

Steven

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-25

Greetings,
    currently when i start the pc i have the screen in the photo, from which i can choose Windows or Linux. Will i get the same screen when i start the pc using the cloned disk?
    Best regards.

Vincent

Last edit: Francy2007 2024-01-25
  • Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2024-01-27

Yes, I believe so.
    BTW, it's recommend to backup important data before using Clonezilla. Just in case.

Steven

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-27

Ok, thank you very much!!!

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-27

Greetings,
    i cloned the dual boot (takes up about 460GB) on a 1TB hdd but i have a problem. I have the initial Grub mask as in the photo already posted but, while Linux works perfectly, if i select Windows its logo appears for a while but the operating system does not start and then the computer restarts. What could it depend on?

Vincent

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-28

In addition to the one reported in the previous post i have another problem. I tried to do another clone (this time on an SSD) but when i choose the sda source disk (which is automatically proposed to me) I get the error "no existing or unmounted disk was found". How can it be solved?

Vincent

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2024-01-28

Which version of Clonezilla live did you use?
      Please give the latest Clonezilla live a try. E.g., 3.1.1-27 or even the testing one, 3.1.2-9 or 20240116-noble a try:
      https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

Steven

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-29

Hi Steven,
    i solved it, dual boot works perfectly. The problem was booting from a cloned disk on an external ssd connected via usb. I cloned it onto a new internal ssd which i then replaced with the internal hdd in the pc and connected via sata. The only problem after cloning: the usb port on the back of the pc, into which i inserted the usb pendrive with Clonezilla, is no longer working. If you can tell me how to solve it, otherwise it doesn't matter since i have several usb ports.
    Best regards.

Vincent

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-01-30

In addition to the previous post, i specify that two usb ports do not work (both on Windows and Linux) when I connect a 500 gb Toshiba ssd, which however is recognized when connected to all the other ports. The strange thing is that the two ports work when I use the 16 gb Lexar pendrive on which Clonezilla is installed.

Vincent

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2024-02-02

Clonezilla has actually cloned the disk for you, so the rest is the restored OS. It seems your hardware driver or something has changed due to the new hardware (hard drive? SSD? NVMe?).
    Hence you have to try to reinstall or re-detect your hardware driver in your MS Windows.
    So please check your hardware manager. Try to remove that and reinstall the drivers.

Steven

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-02-05

Greetings,
      since I have 8 USB ports I will solve the problem by using the 6 that work well. The 2 that do not go with external SSD, instead go with pendrive and DAC and therefore I will use them with the latter.
      However, I wanted to ask one last question. Can cloned dual boot (on SSD) work on a PC other than the original one? If I test on a laptop with Windows 11, booting from the SSD with dual boot, can I cause damage to the PC or Windows 11?
      Best regards.

Vincent

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2024-02-14

If you clone your dual boot systems to an external disk, remember to remove the original source disk if you want to boot from your external disk.
    Put two identical OSes or file systems on a same machine will confuse your OS, and it might damage its booting mechanism.

Steven

• Francy2007

Francy2007 - 2024-02-14

Ok, thank you very much.
    Best regards.

Vincent

👍