Menu

error installing drbl ubuntu, please help!

Help
Adam
2020-10-27
2020-11-01
  • Adam

Adam - 2020-10-27

Hello,

I have:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
    Release: 20.04
    Codename: focal

I installed drbl. When I configure via drblsrv -I at the final stage only I get this errors solution? Please assist to solve this!

Installing kernel for clients... ...
    The kernel for client is copied from server.
    Installing kernel 5.4.0-52-generic for clients...
    It might take several minutes to install this kernel, please be patient... ...done!
    Generating modules.dep and map files for clients... done!
    Preparing the kernel firmware for clients...
    Found /boot/memtest86+.bin in this system, copying the memtest file to DRBL local repository...
    Putting memtest86+ in DRBL package repository /usr/share/drbl/pkg/memtest86+/...
    Memtest86+ version:
    done!
    Package of pxelinux was installed, but pxelinux boot file not found!
    Creating config file for PXE clients...
    Copying pxelinux.0, gpxelinux.0, menu.c32, vesamenu.c32, chain.c32, mboot.c32, sanboot.c32 and memdisk to /tftpboot/nbi_img...
    cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/drbl/pkg/syslinux//VERSION': No such file or directory
    Copying memtest86+ to /tftpboot/nbi_img...
    Copying FreeDOS files to /tftpboot/nbi_img/...
    mv: cannot stat '/tftpboot/nbi_img/bios/
    pxelinux.0': No such file or directory
    Warning! /usr/share/drbl/pkg/syslinux//bios/memdisk NOT found!!! PXE boot does NOT work!!!
    Press "Enter" to continue...

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-10-27

This is weird... Which version of DRBL did yo install?
    BTW, please also give unstable DRBL a try.

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-28

hello steve,

thanks for the reply. i installed ubuntu 18.04 and i didnt get erro there installing drbl.
    The reason i am installing clonezilla because we have an old clonezilla and it is working fine. But recently i have been told that technitians cant backup a machine which have m2 disk.
    So with my new Clonezilla machine with a regular disk we can an error sda not found. please check error.jpeg attached.
    and when we tried to backup m2 disk we different error, see error2.jpeg
    image repository is read only

thanks

Last edit: Adam 2020-10-28
  • Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-10-28

Since the purpose you use DRBL is to use Clonezilla SE, I suggest you can use this mod:
    https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE/use_clonezilla_live_in_drbl.php
    First try to boot Clonezilla live on the destination machine, and if it can detect your device, then use that on the DRBL (Clonezilla SE).
    This is easier for you to update the Clonezilla-related kernel.

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-28

hi steven,

th for trying to assist.

so far we tried on 4 machines

lenovo 520 it have sata disk and we managed to backup
    Lenovo v530 sata disk, it give no input device error, see attachment, any solution?
    Lenovo v15 m2 see m2_disk_error attachment
    ASUS 301 M2 _disk_error_attachment

So you want us to try to check with clonezilla live on thumbk disk, and try to backup and restore from the worksttation machine?

is there any issues with drbl clonezilla with m2 disks? we tried on 2 different models and same error.
    in lenovo 530 we got no input device error with regular sata disk.

hope to try to solve this waiting for your reply

Last edit: Adam 2020-10-28
  • Steven Shiau

This kind of issue is normally releated to the Linux kernel/hardare support problem. Hence you have to use the latest kernel so that the hardware can be detected. For normal DRBL, the Linux kernel used in client is the same as that on server.
    Using the method I mentioned would use the Linux kernel from Clonezilla live, which is normally much newer than that on Ubuntu 18.04.

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-28

ok so i need to try to fix the error on ubuntu 20.04
    Package of pxelinux was installed, but pxelinux boot file not found!

i installed drbl through apt-get install, so can you please explain by what you mean this this?
    give unstable DRBL a try. wherd do i download it from and install? and link guide?

please also give me which exact versions of linux distrubtions i should try to install to try install drbl and that it will be with latest kernel, give me some names you think are best,

• Steven Shiau

When drblsrv -i is run, it will install the package pxelinux, syslinux-related ones. Make sure your packages repository is OK. Or you can try to set different apt repository in /etc/apt/sources.list.
    You can first try to run:
    sudo apt-get install pelinux
    before you run "drblsrv -i". If it works, "drblsrv -i" should be able to create /usr/share/drbl/pkg/syslinux//VERSION.

Stevenc

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-29

sudo apt-get install pxelinux
    it installed it, i didnt get the error now. but at the end i got : Program mkpxeinitrd-net only works for kernel 2.6, 3 or 4! see screenshot
    is it ok now. or anything should be fixed?

this is my vers:
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
    Release: 20.04
    Codename: focal

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-10-29

I am wondering which version of drbl you are running?
    Please run:
    drbl-bug-report
    and post the generated file.
    Thanks.

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-29

thanks for your reply steven , i appreciate it. hope to get it working :)

Installed DRBL-related packages: drbl-2.30.5-1 clonezilla-3.35.2-1 partclone-0.3.13+dfsg-4 mkpxeinitrd-net-2.4.2-drbl1 ipxe-1.0.0+git>

attached file

• Steven Shiau

No wonder... Please follow this doc to install and configure DRBL:
    https://drbl.org/installation/
    Make sure you have assign the correct of DRBL repository:
    deb http://free.nchc.org.tw/drbl-core drbl stable

The latest stable drbl in the repository is 2.32.10. The one you are using is from somewhere else, not from the repository of DRBL.

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-29

i left only http://drbl.sourceforge.net/drbl-core in sources lists
    now it installed even older version.

Installed DRBL-related packages: drbl-2.27.6-drbl1 clonezilla-3.35.2-1 partclone-0.3.13+dfsg-4

when i run this command to find what vers of drbl in ubuntu repositorym it is stikk the old

apt-cache showpkg drbl
    Package: drbl
    Versions:
    2.30.5-1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
    Description Language:
    File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_binary-amd64_Packages
    MD5: 4c7ea2c04a4826fc2240c239793f3bdf
    Description Language: en
    File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_i18n_Translation-en
    MD5: 4c7ea2c04a4826fc2240c239793f3bdf

do you know which repository i can find 2.32.10???

Last edit: Adam 2020-10-29
  • Steven Shiau

Try it again by running "apt-get update" then "apt-get install drbl".
    The mirror mechanism failed, and I have forced to sync it. Will try to have a better way to make sure drbl.sf.net will work.
    http://free.nchc.org.tw/drbl-core will always be the primary one. It's better to check why you can not access that.

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-10-29

thanks for your reply steven,

attached screenshot
    it now updated to new version of drbl. seems to me ok now.
    got this messagw: /tftpboot/node_root//lib/modules/../../boot/config-5.4.0-52-generic is found but either CRAMFS or EXT2 filesystem is NOT builtin in the kernel. We will use initramfs.

doesnt seem liek an error, just want to confirm with you, if i need to do something os should i move to the stage to drblpush.

• Steven Shiau

It's not an error. Go ahead to run "drblpush -i".

Steven

• Adam

Adam - 2020-11-01

hello steven,

there is big improvement now. We tried backup restore 7 machines. only 1 model of computer failed to backup. so thx for your assistance. seems like our sophos firewall was detecing drbl.org and free.nchc.org.tw as a threat c2/generic-a thats why we failed to grab drbl package from there.

1- i currently have 1 terra of disk on the partition where clonezillais installed. and images are stored in /home/partimage if i want to add an external disk or another disk on the machine, how can i set clonezilla to save images on it, whats the procedure

2- if like in half a year there is a new version of drbl. how can i check from a command if there is new version and which command do i run to update my drnl in my system?

3- on lenovo v530 model it failed to backup with an error no input device. see attached screenshot. to me it seems like it failed to detect a disk. So the question is there anything i can do to solve this error, because i might get this error on other machines models.

thx again for your assistance

Last edit: Adam 2020-11-01
  • Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-11-01

As for your questsions,
    1. It's better to use LVM to expand your /home/partimag/. Just remember that /home/partimag is the image repository and it will be exported to clients by NFS. Hence you can not separate the image repository as two directories. Only /home/partimag/ is supported by DRBL.
    2. To upgrade, check this:
    https://drbl.org/installation/#upgrade
    If your Clonezilla SE runs smoothly, I suggest you keep that version.
    3. This is related to the Linux kernel/hardare support issue. By default the Clonezilla SE client uses the Linux kernel from DRBL server, hence you have to have the latest Linux kernel to support the hardware.
    On the other hand, there is a mode for Clonezilla SE to use Clonezilla live, and the linux kernel used in the client is from Clonezilla live. Hence it's easier to upgrade. Check this:
    https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE/use_clonezilla_live_in_drbl.php

Steven