Menu

Opening Network Protocols?

2004-08-31
2004-09-14
  • David Starner

David Starner - 2004-08-31

I'm working on a Dragonchess program of my own. I have no experience or interest in working in Java, but I am interesting in my program working with yours. Could you provide a description of your network protocol, so my program could interoperate?

• Davy Herben

Davy Herben - 2004-09-02

Hi there,

The current netzorking implementation of Dragonchess is rather rudimentary. We connect using simple sockets and send our own Java objects over them. There are plans to convert this to something more standard such as xml over http/soap in a future version, but at the moment nobody is actively working on the project.

I think it would be very nice if our programs could interoperate, but you will probably find it very hard to send java objects from another language (what language is it, anyway ?).

Maybe there are bridges that can convert between the languages, that would be nice. But if not I don't think it will be possible.

On the other hand, if you build your program's networking using something we could connect to, we could include support for it in a next version

regards
      Tbu

• David Starner

David Starner - 2004-09-14

I am programming in Ada. XML over SOAP seems like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg; I was going to write up a simple protocol that passes new-line terminated strings.