Menu

Published App

2008-09-02
2013-05-01
  • Michael Hollinger

In a Citrix environment there is something called a "published app." Basically, upon connection the Citrix Server a single application starts and the user can only run that application on the server.

I don't see this as a possibility with VNC Server. So, does anyone know of a way to call up an application from the .Net VNC Viewer?

Essentially, I need to be able to connect to the VNC server and automatically launch a specific application. Additionally, up to maybe 20 different handhelds running VNC viewer need to be able to connect to the same server and run the same application.

Is this even something possible? If so, I could use any code samples that show how to do this.

Thanks!
    Michael

• Rocky Lo

Rocky Lo - 2008-09-06

Michael, thank you very much for your interest in this VNC Viewer.  I got your private email but would like to get back to you on this forum so somebody else having the same questions can have the answers quickly:

1) With UltraVNC there is an option such that all clients connect to the same window (you specify title of the window).  Unfortunately I don't see a way to ask UltraVNC to start an application upon startup.  Maybe you should ask the UltraVNC team about this.  They should have a better idea.

2) If UltraVNC can launch an application upon initiating a connection, I think it would be quite trivial to ask the server to stream only that window to the client.  After all single window mode is already possible with the current version of UltraVNC and .NET VNC Viewer.

I would love to continue my work on this VNC viewer, but now I have to work 60+ hours every week so I don't have the time.  Hope you will be able to find someone suitable for your customization.