Menu

Get unread docs (mail)

2007-06-01
2013-06-03
  • Emerson Pereira de Olinda

Hi, Everybody!

It seems that one of the most dificult things about Notes programing is how to get the unread documents in a database or view.

After some research I found out that Notes keeps a table that lists all the unread documents NotesID's in a database. It seems to me that table is kept in a file named DESKTOP.DSK (or DESKTOP5.DSK, DESKTOP6.DSK and so on). That file is placed inside Notes installation folder and can not be queried like an usual Notes db.

So, once the unread mark table is kept in each local machine, the read/unread status depends on the user, the machine used to read the messages and on the message itself.

It seems pretty confusing to me and I believe many people will agree.

Even though I've searched a lot, I could not find a way to get the read/unread programatically, except by using C/C++ API functions and LotusScript.

I believe that it would be possible to write a JNI class to wrap those funtions and use them with Java, but I really don't like the approach. So, now I've got stuck on that point and can not go ahead with my own project.

I'd like to hear what any of you have to say about that point. Does anybody know if I'm right or wrong on what I've said above? Is there any good way to get read/unread marks with Java?

Any ideas at all???

• Kurt Riede

Kurt Riede - 2007-06-29

Hello Emerson,

as far as I see, your analysis is complete. I also never have found an acceptable solution for this problem.
      I also can confirm that we have no plans to implement any JNI wrapper for the C++-API in domingo.

A stand-alone Java application that accesses a Lotus Notes Mail database is more or less a replacement for the Notes client. In this sense, the application might do the same as the Notes client: Keep its own local table of UNIDs or Notes-IDs as read/unread marks.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Kurt

• Nobody/Anonymous

So Kurt,

Is there some way out.
      I have a same reqt. I have to count the no of unread mails and display.