curious result set

2014-03-09
2014-03-16
  • Udo Leischner

Udo Leischner - 2014-03-09

Hi,

I've got about 10.000 PDF files of articles of a german car magazine. If I search for "BMW 320" (with quotation marks) docfetcher is showing me 70 resulting documents. But if I search for "BMW" it gives me only 8 results. That seems really strange to me. Can you explain that? In comparison an X1 Trial shows 69 documents for "BMW 320" and 4040 for "BMW".

Udo

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2014-03-10

Hi,

Can you post some of the text surrounding the occurrences "BMW" and "BMW 320"? The surrounding text can make quite a difference, and without it it's really hard for me to identify the source of the problem.

Best regards
    q:-) <= Quang

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2014-03-13

Hi Quang,

I attached some example documents, please refer to the file names regarding the search phrase and whether DocFetcher found it.

Please delete the attachments from my posting after downloading for copyright reasons.

Thanks,
    Udo

Deleted. I'll take a look at them next week.

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2014-03-16

I indexed the files and searched for "BMW" and "BMW 320". No problems here. All 6 files show up in the results with "BMW", and 2 files show up with "BMW 320".

I suggest trying the following:

1) Check on preferences dialog whether you're using the OR operator instead of AND. The OR operator gives more search results.

2) If that doesn't work, download the latest portable version of DocFetcher (v1.1.11) and see if the results are different.