Menu

Domain Name Registry System

Help
mohd
2005-08-07
2013-04-02
  • mohd

mohd - 2005-08-07

Guys am trying to help a third world country build a DNRS.

I would like to know what are the components needed for the Registry?

1)name servers -primary and seconday
    2)Whois Database
    2) Application Servers
    3)Billing System
    4)SRS

What do you think is the minimum investment required? for the servers etc

• Andrew McMillan

Andrew McMillan - 2005-08-07

Hi,

As a complete minimum the whole system can run on a single computer system, with the DNS zones transferred to external nameservers in a hidden master arrangement.

The load on the registry application will largely depend on the number of names in the registry, and the frequency of registration / update activity.

The main reason for splitting the application across multiple computer systems is to increase security and redundancy, and the extent that is applicable will depend on your budget.  If you can (e.g.) cope with restore from tape procedures in the event of a disaster then less hardware redundancy should be acceptable.

Feel free to contact me (andrew AT catalyst , net, nz) for further discussion, or contact .NZ Registry themselves.

Regards,
      Andrew McMillan.

• mohd

mohd - 2005-08-07

Thanks alot for the Reply Andrew.

Ok lets put it this way whats the best practice for setting a Registry for a whole country.

One computer system will be sufficient in this case?

The whole idea is to have a seprate entity to hold the registry and use the SRS system to allow registrars to update the registry.

how many servers (primary & secondry name servers), whois db, application server..etc needed. Redundancy will be required in this case isnt it?

Are are companies so can provide the whole set up for you? if possible can you provide me with their details.

Sorry for my ignorance, alots of questions up there would appricate you response.

thanks in advance.

• mohd

mohd - 2005-08-07

What is an approximate cost of setting up a registry ?

any idea?

• mohd

mohd - 2005-08-08

anyone?