Menu

JavaDjVu inquiry ? Forums not open

2005-01-18
2012-11-08
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hello folks,

We have dipped our toe into the JavaDjvu water and encountered a "unexpected fault in IE" etc, etc, etc... The details mention a fault in "JIT.DLL". This is on a Win98 platform running IE 5.0 .

I have no idea whether it is JVM 1.1 compliant or not and the MS support page ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155163 ) suggests disabling the internal JAVA JIT Compiler. I will have to go back to the offsite system to test that.

Is there a minimum IE level, this support page indicates JIT exists back to IE 1.0, which JavaDjvu has to have in order to run?

I would have posed this inquiry in the JavaDjvu Forums but they are closed ( you have to have a sourceforge sign-in ) to the masses.

Senior Citizen

• Dr Bill C Riemers

Sorry about that. I opened the JavaDjVu forumns to allow anonymous posts.

Java DjVu has only been tested with IE 6.0. The minimum Java version tested with is Microsoft VM build 3805. Installing Windows service packs uninstalls the microsoft VM. This is the only version I could find for download. http://www.itnet.org/ms/msjavax86.exe .

However, I if you are going to download an updated version of Java, then I recommend installing the Sun Java 1.5.0. This gives you optimal performance.

However, if you are using an older machine it is more likely there error is due to memory. The minimum amount of ram recommended for a desktop size display is 96MB. (32MB's for your operating system etc. and 64MB's for the Java Virtual Machine.) I have not done mimimum configuration tests to find out how little memory you can have before you start to see errors as a result.

Based on current security alerts, I would strongly recommend connecting a machine running IE 5.0 to the internet. The average time it takes to be infected with a virus after connecting the internet is just under two hours. This is the primary reason I don't test the applet with some of the older machines I have available.

Bill