Measuring and LCD monitors native white temperature and sRGB

John
2014-02-21
2014-02-22
  • John

John - 2014-02-21

I'm calibrating one of Dell's pre calibrated displays and have the results loaded. I'm having a little trouble getting 100% sRGB coverage. The blue end is a little short. I have read that this can be down to being too far of it's native white point. I'm wondering how I remove the profiles and LUT's completely and measure it.

Also when I look at the gamut I am offered several options but don't know which one is sRGB

Whoops - running Linux KDE

John

Last edit: John 2014-02-21
  • Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-02-22

I'm calibrating one of Dell's pre calibrated displays and have the results loaded. I'm having a little trouble getting 100% sRGB coverage. The blue end is a little short. I have read that this can be down to being too far of it's native white point.

What instrument are you using? Anything short of a spectrometer (or maybe an i1D3) is not very suitable for absolute gamut comparisons.

I'm wondering how I remove the profiles and LUT's completely and measure it.

No need. If you do a "calibrate & profile" the videLUT will be reset automatically. If you want to get rid of old unneeded calibrations & profiles you can use the small trash icon next to the name in the "settings" dropdown (although it's often nice to have a kind of "history" of profiles).

Also when I look at the gamut I am offered several options but don't know which one is sRGB

Are you referring to the profile information window? The dotted outline is the comparison, which is by default sRGB.

• John

John - 2014-02-22

Thanks for your time and help.

A colour munki display. :-) Same case, different colour. I bought it because I had been using a 2nd hand more professional one (Monaco???. I was concerned about comments about the suitability for use of some on LED monitors and reviews pointed out that the Munki had been updated. Turned out that there was very very little difference. If any really.

Still curious how I arrange to run with no LUT or profile now I have them installed. I could run a calibrate and profile and abort it but wonder if the software would just load the last settings. I would like to check the Dell supplied calibrated sRGB mode and try a couple of ideas for measuring the actual white point of the back lighting just to see if it does make any difference. I have played with the white point the calibration is aiming at and it does make some difference but not much. Tftcentral Uk review showed over 100% coverage at 6500K 2.2 gamma and lower errors than I am getting. Not that the errors I am getting are that bad. This might be down to the actual colour of the back light.

One other thing I have noticed is that when a calibrate and profile has been run a delta E summary is given but this doesn't tie up with a measurement run. That is always worse. I'm not running the Adobe RGB one. Just the shorter extended one.

John

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks