Can't install the calibration system wide. Opensuse 12.3 KDE 4.10.5

John
2014-03-04
2014-03-11
  • John

John - 2014-03-04

No probleme installing local user with dispcalgui but get a can't install if I try to install system wide which I prefer. The 1st time I tried dispcalgui asked for the root password. It didn't after that but I haven't tried again since rebooting.

sorry about the post waiting moderation. thought I was still logged in.

John

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-03-10

I think system-wide installation might actually not work as intended right now, e.g. even if it would seem to work, it will only install and activate the profile for the current user. Do you have multiple user accounts on that computer? If not, you do not necessarily need to install the profile system wide.

• John

John - 2014-03-11

Thanks I had wondered if that was the problem.

Single user. My reason is to make sure everything uses it and the GIMP makes mention of using the system one. I then use a standard sRGB profile from colour managed editors. It's confusing as some carry there own colour management around with them. :-) Currently though I do seem to get the same colours in all. That wasn't the case initially on my previous monitor.

John

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-03-11

[...] the GIMP makes mention of using the system one

The option in GIMP is a little misleasing. It just means it will use whatever profile you have set for the screen, but that doesn't necessarily mean at the system level because any user-specified profile will override that. So unless you have a multi-user system, there's no benefit whatsoever to install the profile system-wide (and even if you have multiple user accounts, any user-set display profile overrides any profile set at the system level. The option to install a profile system-wide is really just useful to setup user accounts that might not have specified a display profile at the user level to use the same profile).

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks