i1Display2 - OSX 10.9 - Dell U2410

Anonymous
2013-11-26
2014-06-18
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Anonymous - 2013-11-26

i1Display2 - OSX 10.9 - Dell U2410 color issues

dispcalGui Community: First to the developer THANK YOU!!!!
    I have a i1Display2 from X-rite OS 10.9 with all updates as of 11/26/13.
    I vave dispcalGui v1.5.5.0 installed
    I have Argyll v1.6.2 installed.

I have tried a variety of settings in dispcalGui some look OK others look way off. None seem to be as good as what x-rites software gave me in OS 10.6.8 or with the stripped down capability version of the Lion Edition in OS 10.8.5. This seems like a way more powerful/capable piece of software in comparison to x-rite si I can help but think maybe I am not using the right settings or maybe dispcalGui and Argyll are not ready to handle OS 10.9.

If some is kind enough to help guide me I am happy to pull together all the different settings I tried along with any log reports etc.

Happy Holidays, safe travels.

All the Best.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-11-27

I need a bit more info. What was the expected result? What did you get instead? And a zip of the files in question (profiles, logs) would be good.

• Anonymous - 2013-11-27

Please tell us if using Nvidia/intel or AMD GPU if you have grey gradient issues.

What kind of i1d2 do you have? is it some kind of rebranded "wide gamut firmware" i1d2?

• Anonymous - 2013-11-30

Sorry, for the late response. I appreciate the help.

---"What was the expected result? What did you get instead?"---
    Before upgrading from OS 10.6.8 to OS 10.8.x (and recently to 10.9) I used x-rite's software with the eye-one display 2. The original software would allow me to interact with it to adjust the monitor's RGB settings etc. The recent update by x-rite to i1ProfilerD2LionEdition only allows for the brightness and contrast to be adjusted everything else is automated. In OS 10.8 this new automated software seemed to be working fine. when I upgraded to 10.9 I am getting a slightly warmer tone. My default settings have always been:
    Whitepoint: D65
    Luminance: 120
    Gamma: 2.2

Turns out x-rite's i1ProfilerD2LionEdition is not supported under 10.9 so my search for another solution lead me to dispcalGui and Argyll. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE MAC PLATFORM!

I have tried setting dispcalGui to different whitepoints (starting first with D65 to match my old defaults - I know the lower the number the warmer the screen tone):
    D50
    D55
    D65
    Depending on what other settings were applied along with the white point I would get anything from a very green cast to a very blue cast to very over saturated reds... at this point I was trying different combinations but nothing seemed to work. I read through the forums of others getting the red casts... this lead me to finding the what I am hoping are the latest version of dispcalGui v1.5.5.0 and Argyll v1.6.2.

I tried loading up the correction matrices from the website as well, also trying those along with adjusting the whitepoint to D50, D55 and D65. Still no luck.

I should have keep strict records of each combination of settings but basically I worked through the combinations methodically only changing one variable at a time. In an effort to help the community I am more than willing to do this again and pull together the log files for each setting along with screenshots of the end results. But I'm on a client deadline for today (Saturday) I will try on Sunday morning to pull it all together for you. One thing I will note, after running the highest quality setting for a few times I switched to having the calibration speed to be very high and profile quality to low.

For now I will attach screenshots of the pull down menus showing my settings and color matrices that are loaded. Tomorrow morning or perhaps this evening I will try and do the settings tests again keeping better track of everything I will save out log files and pull together screenshots.

Thank you.

• Anonymous - 2013-11-30

Sorry forgot to tell you the video card is:
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

• Anonymous - 2013-11-30

Also, the part number to the eye-one display 2 is: 25.54.30 This is an x-rite branded 11 Display 2 device (silver gray and black it says REV C on the back sticker)

• Anonymous - 2013-11-30

Ok, so I found inside the application support folder the settings folder for discalGUI. I don't believe this is all the different combos I tried but it seems to have a lot of them. It was a very long couple of days (no sleep... worked through the night). If this settings folder is too much of a mess I can pull together a more organized folder (screenshots etc.) and keep better track of the the settings that were changed between each calibration attempt.

My hope is you can use the current setting folder BUT I am more than willing to put in the extra work with a more organized approach if it will help.

Thank you!

• Anonymous - 2013-11-30

Sorry for the piece mail I just realized I didn't tell you what processor I have. Istis: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thank you again, I hope everyone is enjoying there weekend.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-12-01

Thanks for the files. Do you still have any of the old X-Rite generated profiles? One that gave you good results in the past would be preferable.

My findings so far:
    I looked at the gamuts of the profiles you attached. Only one of them (DELL U2410 2013-11-24 120cdm2 D5000 2.2 F-M 3xCurve+MTX.icc) looks reasonable with respect to the wide-gamut monitor you're using, e.g. the gamut is roughly AdobeRGB-shaped for that profile which seems right.

The reason you're getting a tint is probably because the correction matrix you're using is not a good match to your display/instrument combo, the i1 Display 2 has unfortunately quite high inter-instrument variability. This doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't use it at all, but it may mean you have to tune the white point manually. To do this, select 'as measured' in dispcalGUI, then during interactive display adjustment, change the RGB balance until the white looks 'right' to you (this can be tricky, because the eye adapts to the whitepoint when looking at the screen for a while. To avoid this, look away from the screen for a while, but preferably not at something colorful. When you look back at the screen and perceive a tint, try changing RGB balance to accomodate that. Rinse and repeat as necessary).

• Anonymous - 2013-12-01

Florian,

Thank you again for your help.

I will try the settings you mentioned above. I'm attaching a known good profile from 10.6.8 and a known good profile under OS 10.8.5.

The profile for OS X 10.6 was generated by x-rite's software Eye-One Match 3 I have the original installer if you need it i1Match_363_mac.dmg or it looks like Macupdate has a link to it on this page https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20523/eye-one-match

The profile under OS 10.8.5 was generated with i1ProfilerD2LionEdition, looks like you can download it here http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1933&Action=support&SoftwareID=1139

I will try your settings suggestion and post the findings/results. If you, or anyone else in the community, can post what other settings you used for this monitor/device combination it would be much appreciated.

To the poster who asked about the "if you have grey gradient issues." I will try Florian's settings and check for this issue as well and let you know. Thanks.

All the Best, thank you again for the help.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-01

Florian/Community,

I this helps some others out there with a Dell U2410 and dispcalGUI along with a i1Display 2. I am attaching the profile settings, logs, on board monitor settings and a screenshot of one of my reference files that I have a SWOP proof on from one of my printing vendors for reference.

To answer the poster who asked about grayscale gradient issues. I used the following website with test images to check black point, luminance and grayscale.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_sensitivity.html
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_gradient.htm

My results with x-rites profile (which is the closest to the SWOP proof) are as follows:

Black Pint - I can seed the change at between step 3 and 4
    Luminance Sensitivity: I can see the splits in Row 2 up to Base RGB 191
    Gamma Grayscale: Seems relatively smooth with no noticeable banding (very. very slight I really have to "want" to see it).

Note with the attached settings I followed Florian's suggestion and set dispcalGUI to have a whitepoint as "Measured"

The Calibration speed was medium
    The Profile Quality was high

The Color Correction was set to Auto (None) based on what Florian daid that the profile up on the website will be based on another person's device and there is "high inter-instrument variability" with i1 Display 2 device (if someone has a better way to approach this I am all ears).

My results (as compared to a past known good x-rite profile and a SWOP proof of the reference file that is used on screen to jusge the final outcome):

--> x-rite i1ProfilerD2LionEdition (not supported in os 10.9 - but seems to work): It is the closet to the SWOP proof (although I feel it has a slightly yellower cast overall compared to previous profiles with supported software in the older OS 10.6.8). This is what I am basing my comments of the dispcalGUI profiles on

--> dispcalGUI - sRGB setting with wihitepoint to to "measured", white level set to 120: Warmer, red cast overall when compared to the x-rite profile in this test. Mid-tones are darker.

--> dispcalGUI - Photo setting with wihitepoint to to "measured", white level set to 120: Warmer, Blue-green/cooler cast overall when compared to the x-rite profile in this test. Mid-tones are much darker.

Attached are screenshots of the settings, profile collects of each.

Hope that helps.

Again thank you to the developer for supporting the Mac platform and for making this software open-source. If I can get this to work with consistent results I will make a donation to both dispcalGUI and Argyll. If this works it will wind up saving me from scrpping a perfectly good i1 Display 2 device and handing over a $144 bucks to buy the latest (supported) x-rite device.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-12-03

--> dispcalGUI - sRGB setting with wihitepoint to to "measured", white level set to 120: Warmer, red cast overall when compared to the x-rite profile in this test. Mid-tones are darker.

--> dispcalGUI - Photo setting with wihitepoint to to "measured", white level set to 120: Warmer, Blue-green/cooler cast overall when compared to the x-rite profile in this test. Mid-tones are much darker.

So have you created the "sRGB" profile with the monitor set to its "sRGB" preset, and the "photo" profile with the monitor set to... Native? Something else? The reason I'm asking is because the gamuts of the two profiles are very different in size and shape.
    (btw, it would have been better if you had used the same monitor RGB balance and brightness/contrast settings to keep the profiles comparable)

As you perceive the results when using the "sRGB" profile as warmer/redder even though it has the "cooler" whitepoint of the two profiles, it probably means the "sRGB" profile when used leads to a slight over-correction towards red to counteract the cooler whitepoint, while the opposite is true for the "photo" profile. This is probably due to the i1 display 2 not being very well suited for a wide-gamut display without a colorimeter correction.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-04

Florian,

The on board monitor settings for RGB are set under /Preset Modes/Custom Color/Gain/ - only the RGB sertting under Gain were adjusted (during the interactive mode in discalGUI) all other settings under custom were left at the factory defaults. So no I did not use the sRGB factory Preset Mode for these tests. I used the custom preset, same as I have done in the past, to be able to hit my target. X-rite's interactive interactive mode has removed the ability to adjust the RGB to hit the desired target - it measures and does all this automatically now I guess by changing the LUT.

The custom RGB Gains were adjusted based on dispcalGUI's interactive mode desired target.

"it would have been better if you had used the same monitor RGB balance and brightness/contrast settings to keep the profiles comparable" How would I keep these the same and still hit my target in dispcalGUI's interactive mode? Are you saying I should redo the profile but not actually interact/adjust the settings to hit the target points? Are you trying to determine how different each setting is without any adjustments?

If you give me a step by step (dispcalGUI setting by setting) I will gladly rerun the test and post the logs/findings for all to learn from.

In my comment:

Warmer should be Cooler so my result should read as:

--> dispcalGUI - Photo setting with wihitepoint to to "measured", white level set to 120: COOLER, Blue-green/cooler cast overall when compared to the x-rite profile in this test. Mid-tones are much darker.

"This is probably due to the i1 display 2 not being very well suited for a wide-gamut display without a colorimeter correction."

Unfortunately I do not have a colorimeter. I will say that i1Display2 has giving me good results in the past... where my monitor (the very same U2410) looks pretty darn close to the SWOP proofs I send out for. It's not until the recent upgrade to OS 10.8.5 that the Lion Edition of X-rite's software stripped away the capability to ineact/adjust the RGB settings to hit target points when calibrating. I have to visually adjust the setting to get close to SWOP proof where in the past the X-rite measurements were right on with the SWOP proof without any extra tinkering.

At this point I will probably bite the bullet and buy new hardware... it just pains me to fork out money for a new device when the one I have worked flawlessly before the OS upgrades with this very same monitor.

Thanks again for your time Florian, I hope what I am doing helps this project somehow. I willing to put in the extra time to run additional tests just let me know what settings you think I should use.

All the Best

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-12-07

The on board monitor settings for RGB are set under /Preset Modes/Custom Color/Gain/ - only the RGB sertting under Gain were adjusted (during the interactive mode in discalGUI) all other settings under custom were left at the factory defaults. So no I did not use the sRGB factory Preset Mode for these tests. I used the custom preset, same as I have done in the past, to be able to hit my target.

I was just wondering why the gamut was so profoundly different between the profiles, because the seemingly rather slight changes in RGB gain didn't seem to warrant a big change.

Are you saying I should redo the profile but not actually interact/adjust the settings to hit the target points? Are you trying to determine how different each setting is without any adjustments?

Yes, that's what I was basically getting at.

dispcalGUI - Photo setting with wihitepoint to to "measured", white level set to 120: COOLER

Curious, as the monitor settings seem to indicate that the red/green gain is higher while blue is slightly lower than for the "sRGB" profile (from the PDFs you sent me: R:68 G:66 B:72 for "sRGB", R:70 G:68 B:71 for "Photo" so I would have suspected a "warmer"/"yellower" look there)

At this point I will probably bite the bullet and buy new hardware... it just pains me to fork out money for a new device when the one I have worked flawlessly before the OS upgrades with this very same monitor.

Hmm. Before you shell out money for a new device (altough something like the ColorMunki Display or i1 Display Pro are really good devices imo, I've also heard good things about the Spyder 4), I think it may make sense to first figure out the curious gamut differences, because these are also present in the X-Rite generated profiles you sent me, so it doesn't seem to be an Argyll/dispcalGUI issue. Btw, are you using the 64-bit version of Argyll?

• Anonymous - 2013-12-09

Florian,

I'm with you, if I can figure out how to get the old i1 to work it would be great.

So now I need a bit of advice, what settings do you think I should use? Can you give be a checklist to go by? Maybe some settings another user, with the same equipment, used?

How would you like me to perform the comparison? Example:
    Set Photo for one, white level to 120 run dispcalGUI and make no changes to the monitors on board Brightness, Contrast or RGB Gain settings... let it measure... create the profile.

Make another profile by selecting sRGB and again make no changes to the monitor settings... create the profile.

Take screen shots of both... collect the logs and send them to you for comparison... Yes/No... would this give you the difference/baseline you need to see what is going on?

I have some photos taken with a Color Checker Passport - Maybe this round I will use that as the reference file... this has a neutral gray swatch etc. It will give us a more generic/established set of colors to compare against on both ends (yours and mine) - Agree?

To answer your question, yes I am using the 64-bit version of Argyll - "Argyll_V1.6.2_osx10.6_x86_64_bin.tgz" downloaded from here: http://www.argyllcms.com/downloadmac.html

Thanks Florian, this is very much appreciated. Let me know if I can document anything in a different way that makes it easier for you to see what is going on.

I have a busy week ahead... I may not get to this until the later part of the week... I'm not giving up, just have to switch gears a bit.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the Best

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-12-09

Set Photo for one, white level to 120 run dispcalGUI and make no changes to the monitors on board Brightness, Contrast or RGB Gain settings... let it measure... create the profile.

Make another profile by selecting sRGB and again make no changes to the monitor settings... create the profile.

Take screen shots of both... collect the logs and send them to you for comparison... Yes/No... would this give you the difference/baseline you need to see what is going on?

Yes, pretty much spot on.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-11

Thanks... should be able to do this Thursday or Friday... will aim for Thursday.

• Anonymous - 2014-03-31

Florian,

Sorry for the very long delay with this. Also, I hope your new year has been going well. Time has flown by.

OK, I have attached a zip file with:

• Note: I factory rest the Dell Monitor before performing all measurements and capturing all screenshots.

• A default Apple U2410 Profile and a screenshot of a photo reference file with this profile activated. I have included a copy of this profile.

• A default discalGUI (your latest version (1.7.5.7) As we discussed I have selected the Photo setting - made no adjustments to the display's on board settings and had discalGUI calibrate and profile. I have included the log file and a screenshot of a photo reference file with this profile activated. The profile is included as well.

• A default discalGUI (your latest version (1.7.5.7) As we discussed I have selected the sRGB setting - made no adjustments to the display's on board settings and had discalGUI calibrate and profile. I have included the log file and a screenshot of a photo reference file with this profile activated. The profile is included as well.

Thank you again for all your help and patience.

All the Best.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-03-31

Hi,

new year has been going so-so due to health problems, but I'm slowly recovering, thanks. Hope you're doing well. I can certainly attest to the time just flying by.

What I've found out just yesterday is a really bad problem seemingly on Mac OS X 10.6 and later where an existing (active) calibration would interact in very unexpected ways with a new calibration, in some cases ruining the new calibration totally. The problem with this issue was that it was very hard to notice on my own test system (the influence a previous calibration had was just too small) unless I "forced" it (deliberately installing a profile with a sythetic, strong colorcast applied by the synthetic calibration) and then starting a new calibration from scratch. My calibrations ended up with a strong colorcast when doing this. The fix is relatively straightforward, Argyll's dispcal tool needs to be run via sudo, but it's disheartening to know that this issue was probably around for a long time before I finally was able to produce the effect.

Nevertheless, a fix is now available in the latest development snapshot (sticky thread at the top of this forum to a wiki page with instructions), so it would be great if you could try it out and see if it fixes the problem.

• Anonymous - 2014-03-31

Florian,

I'm sorry to hear about the health problems, I hope you recovery speeds up.

I have downloaded ZeroInstall (the OSX bundled version which should have installed all dependencies).

When I try to launch 0install Launcher (or any of the other app in you "dispcalGUI-0install.dmg" they fail to launch with a "Exited with code: 2" message in the OSX Console App. See below log:

3/31/14 2:29:47.194 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[200]: (net.hoech.dispcalGUI.111440[1179]) Exited with code: 2

I tried to run the script that from inside your package ("0install-launcher.command") in terminal directly but I get the following message:

Last login: Mon Mar 31 13:54:24 on ttys000
    VolumeName:~ Username$ /Applications/dispcalGUI/0install\ Launcher\ copy.app/Contents/MacOS/0install-launcher.command ; exit;
    /usr/local/bin/0install
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/0install-python-fallback", line 17, in <module>
    from zeroinstall.cmd import main
    ImportError: No module named zeroinstall.cmd
    warning: Unhandled error from Lwt thread: End_of_file
    Fatal error: exception End_of_file
    logout

[Process completed]

After the above command line attempt Console says - 3/31/14 2:34:15.873 PM login[1190]: DEAD_PROCESS: 1190 ttys000

Typing the command "0install" in terminal gives me:

Last login: Mon Mar 31 14:34:06 on ttys000
    VolumeName:~ username$ 0install
    Usage: 0install COMMAND [OPTIONS]

Try --help with one of these:

0install add
    0install select
    0install show
    0install download
    0install run
    0install update
    0install whatchanged
    0install destroy
    0install config
    0install import
    0install list
    0install search
    0install add-feed
    0install remove-feed
    0install list-feeds
    0install man
    0install digest

Options:
    -V, --version display version information
    -c, --console never use GUI
    --dry-run just print what would be executed
    -g, --gui show graphical policy editor
    -h, --help show this help message and exit
    -v, --verbose more verbose output
    --with-store=DIR add an implementation cache
    OSXMain:~ admin_01a$

Long story short I couldn't run the new 0install version of dispcalGUI or any of the other tools.

is there a manual way to apply the "fix"?

Thanks again, feel better soon.

• Florian Hoech

It looks like you may have installed the new (but less tested) version 2.5 of Zero Install. You can verify this by running 0install -V. If it is indeed 2.5, you should be able to install the older stable version 1.16 over it (http://0install.net/install-mac.html) and it should work with that.

• Anonymous - 2014-03-31

Yes, it was v2.5.

1.16 installed over and everything launches now.

I will test later tonight (in the middle of a project now) and I will post the log, screenshot reference file etc. Do you ant me to just have it run the profiles for Photo and sRGB again without making any adjustments to the display's on-board controls? Should I set the white level to 120 when running these new tests (last round I keep whatever the default settings for "Photo" and sRGB" from the "Settings" pull-down menu)?

Hope this helps you and the community out. I'm hopeful that this will get a little more life out of the old i1Display2 hardware.

Again, thank you for supporting the Mac platform.

Feel better.

All the Best

• Florian Hoech

Do you ant me to just have it run the profiles for Photo and sRGB again without making any adjustments to the display's on-board controls? Should I set the white level to 120 when running these new tests (last round I keep whatever the default settings for "Photo" and sRGB" from the "Settings" pull-down menu)?

Probably a good idea yes.

Hope this helps you and the community out.

If all goes well, it should atleast fix the different gamut shape problem that was probably due to borked calibration. We'll see.

I'm hopeful that this will get a little more life out of the old i1Display2 hardware.

Main issue with the i1Display2 (apart from the not-so-great inter-instrument variability) and similar colorimeters is that its gelatine filters degrade over time, but the gamut shape atleast looked reasonable so hopefully it's not too far off. My old i1Display2 still works ok-ish, but I'm also in the favorable position that I can create CCMX corrections for it with the i1 Pro if need be.

Feel better.

Thanks!

• Anonymous - 2014-04-02

Florian,

OK, so I tried to run the new ZeroInstall version of dispcalGUI. I was able to have it complete the process with the "Photo" setting. I tried running it with sRGB setting and it hangs each time after it's done doing the measurements (see attached screenshot). I tried several times, I tried restarting the computer etc. It keeps hanging at the same point. I then tried the "Photo" setting again and it works... does the measurements, then presents you with the display dialog to install for all users etc.

Let me know what you to try and troubleshoot this (some kind of log?) just tell me where to to pull the info from and I will send/post it.

All the Best

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-04-02

I'd need the log (/Users/Your Username/Library/Logs/dispcalGUI/dispcalGUI.log). Thanks.

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks