OS X Mavericks problem?

Anonymous
2013-11-07
2013-11-09
  • Anonymous - 2013-11-07

Hi,

I've installed the latest "stable' release of Argyll CMS - 1.6.1, and then downloaded some files that fix a problem when running it on Mavericks. I have no idea where to get those files now, but they replace 2 files in the Argyll bin folder.

I was able to calibrate my T22P monitor (Samsung).

Now I got me a Dell U2412m (the samsung died), and I began calibration, I was done and then started profiling. After 1 hour I accidentally hit Esc which aborted the process.

I tried again, but now, after 30 minutes, dispcalGUI says the instrument is in the wrong position (not true as I didn't touch it). I try to close the instrument and reopen it and hit Retry but it doesn't help, dispcalGUI still thinks the instrument is in the wrong position.

I retry the entire profiling process and it takes just 10 minutes for the same error to occur. If I unplug the device and replug when it shows the error, it then presents me with a new error: "Sample read failed due to communication problem.". It retries endlessly to communicate with the instrument, to no avail.

Like I said, I'm running OS X Mavericks.
    I have a ColorMunki Display.

When I calibrated the T220p, it was with this very setup, so I'm not sure why it fails now.

Perhaps there's a newer version of that fix of Argyll for Mavericks? I wish I knew where I got 'em so I could find out.

Thanks for any help.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-11-07

Graeme briefly mentioned a problem with the current Argyll CMS release and the i1 Display Pro under 10.9 (don't have 10.9 myself unfortunately). As the ColorMunki Display Display is basically the same instrument, it could be also affected.

• Anonymous - 2013-11-08

I hate to mention that, after a dozen attempts at "Retry", it continued profiling. Then the error occurred again after a few minutes and I got past it the same way. A bit annoying but at least I could calibrate.

I have a general question regarding calibration - is it ok if I don't manually set custom RGB values and only change the brightness as needed? Because the TFTCentral said they got a better performance from the U2412m by using the Standard preset, which doesn't let you set RGB values.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-11-08

I have a general question regarding calibration - is it ok if I don't manually set custom RGB values and only change the brightness as needed? Because the TFTCentral said they got a better performance from the U2412m by using the Standard preset, which doesn't let you set RGB values.

That should be ok. You probably want to calibrate towards native whitepoint then to avoid potentially introducing banding when targeting another whitepoint.

• Yonathan Zarkovian

What do you mean by calibrate to native whitepoint? Is that done using the RGB values, or the brightness one?

Edit: Perhaps you meant the colour temperature (I kept mine at 6500k and calibrated to that)?

Last edit: Yonathan Zarkovian 2013-11-09
  • Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2013-11-09

Set whitepoint to "as measured".

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks