http://www.soft-club.com/r/vfursov/projects/Disastersys/CDM.PDF

and physical model generated for MySQL is here:

http://www.soft-club.com/r/vfursov/projects/Disastersys/PDM.PDF

Please advice.

Regards,

Vitaliy Fursov.

• Mike

Mike - 2002-01-03

I have a couple comments and before I list them I just want to say that I don't have a Db or programming background, I'm a web project manager who is just starting to get into programming when I happened upon this project which is a great idea. Just tell me to quiet down if these aren't helpful.

After looking at the Db tables I was wondering if there should be a table for the overall Disaster Name in which all people and vehicles get associated with as a many to many relationship. This way there's a history of everything that was used in a particular disaster, and some people may have volunteered in multiple disasters which will all have names like Oklahoma City, WTC, Pentagon, etc.

My next comment relates to groupings of people which may be covered in the PersonType table because I'm not sure what that is for. The thoughts on this are that people may get lumped into Task Forces which would be nice to track. For example, you might want to know that you've assigned a welder, 3 firemen, and 2 engineers to the Northeast quadrent of the disaster site all labelled task force Green. You also might want to know what shift they are working if you have a day and night crew.

Lastly, some thoughts on additional fields.
      - You might want to keep track of people's blood type in case they get injured.
      - More fields for Licenses since people may have different licenses for different vehicles or equipment. Also might encounter military id's.
      - Is knowing if they belong to a Union relevant?
      - For vehicles you might want to record the mileage.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work.