Menu

Sacred WIP

games
2005-06-28
2013-03-11
  • John Crawford

John Crawford - 2005-06-28

Hi,

I need some help to investigate a Sacred (DX7 diablo like) crash.
    I started from the demo (works perfectly on cedega, crashed on dx9wine).

After some work in the disassembly (IDA/winedbg/softice), I discovered that Sacred is _very_ upset when we do not present to him a 1024x768x16 mode in EnumDisplayModes [they have in their sourcecode a function which returns a pointer on the EnumDisplayModes callback-returned array which points to an appropriate 1024x768x16 mode. If no mode can be found, the return value is NULL, an this NULL-ptr is never checked after the call]. In 1280x1024x16, my dx9wine only presents 1280x1024 modes to Sacred. I haven't fully investigated why, but I've got an immediate workaround: test Sacred with my Xserver in 1024x768x16 !

Next issue, I got something funny: dx9wine is then making my opengl driver (from nvidia closed source drivers) crash ! Basically, after the first [Lock, GetDC, ReleaseDC, Unlock, Flip] call, the next Flip (which is calling glXSwapBuffers) is crashing in the nvidia code :) If I surround the code for glXSwapBuffers by calls to glgetError(), this getError() is crashing ! It seems we messed up the gl driver internals here. Any ideas where to look ?

for the log, see http://norbert.lataille.free.fr/log

• oliver stieber

oliver stieber - 2005-06-29

I've had a bit of a look, and I expect that 1024x786 isn't getting reported by Wine because it's not listed as a mode supported by X either through xrandr or through the standard /etc/X11/XF86Config setup

xrandr -q

will list all supported modes.

The Sacred demo also crashed for me using ATI's drivers, but in glDrawPrimitive and not in glXSwapBuffers, so I exepect the problem with glDrawPrimitive is cascading to glXSwapBuffers with GForces drivers..

• John Crawford

John Crawford - 2005-06-30

Hi Oliver,
        let me give you a status there:

1/ 1024x768x16 crash

You're right, xrandr is only reporting one mode (which is
        1280x1024). This is because TVout is enabled :( With TVout disabled, xrandr reports more modes.

However, as a low priority thing, it would be interresting for wine to add standard modes to the enumerated list (1024x768, 800x600,...) as soon as xrandr provides a higher resolution ones (and have the game run in "windowed" mode - this is what cedega seems to do here, hence no crash on Sacred Demo). More games may then start to work out-of-the-box. What is pretty bad in this case -and possibly with other games - is that Sacred says nothing before crashing, no MessageBox(). Nada.

2/ The gl crash

What is interresting here is that we run correctly the first rendrer loop (lock/getdc/draw/releasedc/unlock/flip). At this point, everyting is OK (glGetError() says 0).

At the end of this loop, the game is doing a lot of things (+relay log is 1million lines before the second render loop), but nothing gl related.

When the second loop starts, the opengl driver in a corrupted state (ie. even a stupid glGetError() crashes !). I do not think it is normal that the gl state/driver can be corrupted whereas we have only executed standard/nongl API calls.

What I am trying to do now to understand this crash:
        - trace in the nvidia driver with winedbg to try to understand which surface/pointer/variable got corrupted (and how...).
        - Add _a lot_ of glGetError() verbosity between the 2 render loop to understand when (around which standard API call) the gl driver starts to get annoyed. Currently for each relayed API call (!) wine is asked to execute a glGetError() call.