Invalid access to memory location exception

Shai
2013-03-21
2013-03-24
  • Shai

Shai - 2013-03-21

Hello,

I am working with the library for grabbing video from frame grabbers and cameras for more than a year now and it works well. About a week ago I got a new camera which we consider to integrate and I cannot make it work through the DirectShow.NET - it keeps failing on:

hr = m_FilterGraph.AddSourceFilterForMoniker(dev.Mon, null, dev.Name, out capFilter);
    I get an exception hr = 0x800703e6, Invalid access to memory location

It happens only with this camera.
    The camera works OK when activated through VLC or AmCap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Shai

• Eric

Eric - 2013-03-21

I see two things you should check :
    1) What kind of driver is installed for the camera (User Mode, Kernel Mode) ? Does it support 32 and 64 bits ?
    2) What are the values of dev.Mon and dev.Name ? Are they valid ?

• Shai

Shai - 2013-03-21

1) The camera works OK through VLC, AmCap and their proprietary software, so I suppose the driver is OK.
    2) dev.Name looks valid. dev.Mon has a lot of empty fields and pointers, but this is also a case with other cameras.

• Eric

Eric - 2013-03-22

I really don't know.

"VLC, AmCap and their proprietary software" are 32 bits software. If you are using a 64 bits OS, try to run your application using x86 instead of AnyCPU.

Also since 0x800703e6 is ERROR_NOACCESS, try to run your apps as Administrator to see what happen.

• Shai

Shai - 2013-03-24

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your input, it proved to be helpful. Indeed, the problem seems to be in 64-bit. If running the application as 32-bit, it works OK. Probably the driver has issues with 64-bit.