Connection Timed Out

2006-12-20
2013-05-01
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

after a perfect installation, it seems dimdim works perfectly when using witin my network, however when connecting (view) from the internet , the viewer always receive a connection time out. it seems , the chat function is the only working function.......

please reply how to solve this,

Thanks
    Luc

• Rohit Shankar (DimDim Inc.)

Luc,

Thanks for using Dimdim.

Please let me know below details to investigate this further.

1) Does both the Presenter and Attendee trying to access the conference server from the Internet ?

2) In case the only Attendee is trying to access from Internet then is able to join the conference

3) Is the machine dimdim is installed on is directly connected to internet or is it behind a router using NAT.
      If it is using NAT, then is the router's port forwarding is set to forward to the port where you have installed Dimdim Conference Server traffic to the dimdim box.

4) Is the IP Address supplied while installing the DimDim Conference Server a Public Visible IP Address?

5) Does your machine has a NAT IP Address.

Regards
      Rohit

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am having the same issue and when looking at the tomcat conf I see that there are different services installed on different ports. I installed the server with no issues on port 8080 but some services still run on 80. Are there any other ports that I need to know about to get this to work? Do you use terminal services port to share desktop/apps?

Thanks

• Rajesh Dharmalingam

Hi,

Please do provide us the wrapper.log. Also, please do let us know about the OS in which you have installed.

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• Jose

Jose - 2007-04-27

I was the anonymous user above. I will provide you what you need. Please let me know what email address(s) to send info. My OS is WinXP SP 2. Have 2Gb RAM with 1.8 Ghz Proc. Also am behind a firewall with the following ports translated: 8001, 8004, 8080 (main svr), 4001, 8009, and a couple of others I can't remember. I went through the server.xml conf file to get the port numbers. Found the reason for not being able to use the microphone but still can not share any apps.

• dimdim_uday

dimdim_uday - 2007-04-28

Hi Jose,
        Thank you for the interest in Dimdim.
        Can you try translating port 1935 (RTMP) also on the firewall?
        You can email me at uday(@)dimdim.com

Regards,
        Uday

• Jose

Jose - 2007-04-28

I have done as you asked but I will not be able to test until I am outside of my firewall (most likely monday). I tried this internally and still could not get it done. Is this only tcp traffic? Are you transmitting the app/desktop sharing via udp? If so I need to change a few of the rules. I will start tracing the transmission via ethereal. If you wish I can provide you those traces from the client side.

Thanks

Jose

• Jose

Jose - 2007-04-28

Oh just remembered, also tried to telnet to port 1935 internally and there was no service to answer the request.

Thanks

• Rajesh Dharmalingam

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the updates. Its TCP traffic only. Until presenter starts the meeting, port 1935 will not be opened. Once the presenter started the meeting and comes to the console page(for sharing / chating), port 1935 will be opened.

Could you please explain the issue you are facing in detail and do send us the wrapper.log to rajesh(@)dimdim.com or uday(@)dimdim.com.

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• Rafael Quinones

Rafael Quinones - 2007-04-30

As Rajesh has stated. Make the changes in your firewall/extended access list to allow for port 1935 and you should be able to share apps/desktop, voice, and video otherwise you'll only have the ability to text chat. Also if your using DimDim on a server running Adobe/Macromedia flashCom server, you'll need to shutdown the flashcom administration server and flashcom server service as they will conflict with each other.

Telneting to port 1935 would not produce any results and your connection will just timeout. DimDim uses the RTMP protocol on port 1935 for streaming flash services only and the protocol does not contain any underlying virtual terminal communication.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

after a perfect installation, the chat function is the only working function.......
      when i try to share a pdf file ,i have got the message:file not found , check your path
      I define the server.xml like that:
        <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
          <Connector
      port="8080"      maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"

please reply how to solve this,

Thanks
      Luc 

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Luc,

Could you please send me dimdim.properties, wrapper.conf and the wrapper.log files to rajesh(@)dimdim.com?  Also, could you please let me know the OS and the network setup you are having?

Regards,
      -Rajesh

• dimdim_uday

dimdim_uday - 2007-05-04

Luc,
        Do you have any localized, non-english characters in the path of the pdf? Can you please try to copy the pdf to the desktop and try to share?

Regards,
        Uday