Audio Connection Error

2007-05-29
2013-05-01
  • I have installed DimDim on my debian linux box (apache 2.2 and JRE 1.6), and the presentation aspect of the program appears to be working fine.

However, I get a connection error in the audio box as a presenter. I do not know where the log files are, and it does not appear to be a firewall issue, as disabling the firewall does not change anything.

Also, I can use Skype fine for both audio and video, so I do not think it is an audio configuration error.

I quite possibly have misconfigured the system however.

Does anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong? I would send log files if I could, but I have not been able to any relevant ones.

There is no sound card configured on the linux box (since it essentially works as a machine I just ssh and vnc into). Could this be the cause of the problem?

• Kayben
      Kayben
      2007-05-29

My apologies. I hadn't created an account when I posted this message, so I have done so now.

• dimdim_uday
      dimdim_uday
      2007-05-30

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Dimdim.
      The linux box which has Dimdim server installed does not need to have a sound card.

Would it be possible for you to send me the following files:-

dimdim/Conference Server/Tomcat 5.5/conf/wrapper.conf
      dimdim/Conference Server/Tomcat 5.5/conf/server.xml
      dimdim/Conference Server/Tomcat 5.5/logs/wrapper.log
      dimdim/Conference Server/Tomcat 5.5/webapps/dimdim/WEB-INF/classes/resources/dimdim.properties

These are the paths in the linux install. Please zip these files and send them to uday(at)dimdim.com

The problem you have described - Presentation works properly but audio does not stream indicates the streaming server has been unable to start. In the past we have seen this occurs in three main scenarios:-

1) Insufficient RAM on the server.
      The streaming server - JVM - requires around 256 MB of RAM to start. Some of the Linux VPS solutions we have seen do not provide enough RAM and the wrapper.log has an error stating not enough memory.

2) Firewall Configurations
      In this case the streaming server starts, but we are unable to connect to port 1935 of the server. Since you have disabled your firewall but you still see the problem, we shall rule this scenario out.

3) NAT-ted environment
      If your server has internal and external IP addresses with Network Address Translation running in between, the router needs to be configured to forward the ports and allow access for the streaming server to get started.
      If you can provide me some more details about your environment, we can understand if this is the case or not.

Regards,
      Uday
      uday(at)dimdim.com