Persistent Room Address

• Clarence

Clarence - 2006-10-24

Thank you for developing Dimdim.  Based on what I have seen thus far I feel very positive about the future of Dimdim.  I have it running on my LAN now just to test it and get a feel for how will it will fill my needs.  So far, I thing it is GREAT!

I may have misunderstood how this works but it appears that there is a new room address each time you open a room.  If you are meeting in a classroom situation, you will want your students to be able to enter a Dimdim room from day to day without having to send an invitation with a new room address.

The only way I can see this working now is for the teacher to keep the classroom open 24/7 so the student can just click the same link every time there is a class session.  However if the room gets closed for some reason, the teacher will have to send a new room address to each student.

I hope there is a way to create a Persistent Room Address so the teacher can open a room that will be used multiple times on demand.  This way the student's link will remain constant and the teacher can close the room then later reopen the same room.

If the teacher is using a course management system like Moodle, the link can be placed on a page in Moodle -- one time -- and the students will be able to access the classroom repeatedly at scheduled times.  If the teacher does not have that room open, the student should be presented with the schedule.

It would be very time consuming and tedious to have to send an invitation to every student before every class session.

• Clarence

Clarence - 2006-10-24

Oops!  I see a typo but I don't see any way to edit a post here.  That is "think" not "thing" :)

• dimdim_uday

dimdim_uday - 2007-02-05

Thank you for using Dimdim. I shall add the Persistent Room requirement to the Moodle Integration Plans.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks