Menu

Install on Server 2003

Brian West
2009-02-17
2013-05-01
  • Brian West

Brian West - 2009-02-17

I have installed DimDim 4.5 vmplayer image on a Windows Server 2003 running IIS v6.0.

VMWare Player is running a virtual centos 5.2 i386 server with Dimdim.

I can get an ip address from the virtual server (192.168.0.80)and can successfully ping the virtual server, but cannot reach the dimdim app when typing in 192.168.0.80/dimdim/

I have not been able to find any port issues or firewall issues, but I am open to suggestions.

By the way we are a small community college with limited staff and we are attempting this implementation for our own knowledge.

Thanks.

• Brian West

Brian West - 2009-02-26

Found the issue.

• Rajiv Mehra

Rajiv Mehra - 2009-03-18

Hey Brian.....I have the exact same problem.

How did you fix it ?

• Rajiv Mehra

Rajiv Mehra - 2009-03-18

solution:

You need to run /usr/local/dimdim/Config-ipaddress.pl to make dimdim aware of what IP and port to use. For example:

Config-ipaddress.pl 128.59.x.x 80

then Restart DIMDIM using the script (mentioned in the readme file) and viola ! it works!

I hope that the readme included this information. I wasted a good part of a day to find this info!

Now lets see how it works

-Rajiv

• Pankaj Gupta

Pankaj Gupta - 2009-09-07

Hey Brian,
      I have the same issue.

I tried what your solution...but its not working.

while doing "Config-ipaddress.pl 128.59.x.x 80", the IP address "128.59.x.x" is of eth0 on localmachine or its an external IP?

• Yeshua Watson

Yeshua Watson - 2009-09-08

The first parameter is the external ip address, the second one is the internal (for NAT configuration)

• Pankaj Gupta

Pankaj Gupta - 2009-09-08

Yes, correct.
          But if I don't use NAT, I need not to specify external IP right?

I statically configured IP  of the virtual appliance as 192.168.1.94 and configured dimdim like- "./Config-ipaddress.pl 192.168.1.94 80".

Is that correct?

• Yeshua Watson

No, you would just use the internal IP as your external IP. The command parameters are correct, your understanding is not. If you are still experiencing problems, try using your internal IP in both parameters.

If you can't access DimDim or the management console using the vmware browser, then you have a problem with dimdim (maybe not started). If however, you can access DimDim with the internal browser and not from your host (win2k3 in this case) then you have a problem with VMWare player.

• Pankaj Gupta

I am unzipping the virtual appliance once more...on some posts ,I read "When starting VMPLAYER and choosing your VM you must choose the option 'i moved it' when asked weather you moved or copied the VM".
              I have VMWare workstation but that should not cause problem.

• Pankaj Gupta

Hey, It worked.
      The above solution fixed it.
      Thanks a lot for help.

• Yeshua Watson

Which solution are you referring to so others will know what you did?

• Pankaj Gupta

I again unzipped the virtual appliance, and at startup, selected 'I moved it' when VMWare asks whether you moved it or copied it.

Then configured the IP of Dimdim, and it worked.

But Still one issue, I cannot share my desktop. Rest is working fine.