FC5 install issue: JRE Version

2007-02-25
2013-05-01
  • Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs - 2007-02-25

I am interested in testing DimDim in a scholastic environment, and decided to setup an FC5 server to see what issues I might encounter. In reviewing the documentation, it is strongly emphasized to have JRE => 1.5 on the system. By default, FC5 installs JRE 1.4  20060304 (Redhats version I guess). By running YUM and updating everything I can get the version to:

[root@dimdim alternatives]# java -version
    java version "1.4.2"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-51)

but this is as high as FC seems to go. I downloaded the latest from sun as an RPM, JRE 1.6 and followed the instructions for install. Unfortunately this installed to the default /usr/java and NOT the /usr/bin/java --> /etc/alternatives/java --> -> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java.

In the /etc/alternatives directory there are a significant amount of sym links to the 1.4.2 directories, amking it almost impossible to de-thread all and point them to the 1.6.0 directory. I've stopped the test install at this point to see if this will be necessary or if DimDim will work with the FC5 JRE as stated above.

Drom

• David Kypuros

David Kypuros - 2007-02-25

If you install JRE using YUM, you are on your own as far as the instructions are concerned.

I would reinstall Linux, stripped down, and add JRE by hand, not using YUM to manage your dependencies.

David K.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks