Changing IP address

Help
Paddy
2007-01-16
2013-05-01
  • Paddy

Paddy - 2007-01-16

I am currently testing this on a machine with an ip address that is not static. Is there a config file or method where I can change the IP address initially set in the install process, to a new one?

• Rohit Shankar (DimDim Inc.)

Paddy,

In order to modify the IP Address of the already installed Dimdim Conference Server please modify the following files as per the instructions.

NOTE: Please make a copy (backup) of these files before you start modifying them.

1) server.xml
      ---------------

This configuration file is used by the Apache Tomcat server. It is actually located at
      {DIMDIM_HOME}/dimdim/ConferenceServer/Tomcat 5.5/conf/.

i.e.C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\conf

The server could be configured so that it binds to all the available IP addresses or to
      a specific one. By default the configuration lets  the server bind to all available
      addresses and if that's desirable then it is not necessary to make any changes. However
      if it is required that the server binds to a specific IP address then an additional property
      needs to be inserted in the block called <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector -->.
      Please insert an additional attribute called "address" in that block before the
      "Connector port" attribute with something like this

e.g. address="72.232.197.107"

The modified block should look like

<!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector -->
            <Connector address="192.168.0.6" port="DIMDIM_PORT_NUMBER" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
             maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
             enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
             connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

2) DimDimConference.properties
      --------------------------------

This file contains all the information required by all different components of the dimdim
      conference server and has a name=value format. This file is actually located at
      {DIMDIM_HOME}/dimdim/ConferenceServer/Tomcat 5.5/webapps/dimdim/WEB-INF/classes/resources/.

i.e. C:\Program Files\Dimdim\Conference Server\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\dimdim\WEB-INF\classes\resources

Please follow the below instructions to modify the IP Address and Port.

a) dimdim.serverAddress:
      dimdim.serverAddress creates the basis of the URL with which users can access the dimdim
      conference server. It is important to note that this name/address should be resolved by
      the DNS from which the user is accessing the server. And although it is possible to use the
      same address provided in section 4.1.1 - it's recommended that you provide a more friendlier
      name that resolves to the correct IP address. The default value of the property is
      dimdim.serverAddress=_ServerAddress and after modification should look like

e.g. dimdim.serverAddress=www1.dimdim.com

c) dimdim.serverPortNumber:
      This property is used to form the URL by which users access the dimdim conference serverThe
      value of this property should be exactly same as the value of "Connector port" attribute
      configured in section 4.1.2.The default value of the property is
      dimdim.serverPortNumber=_ServerPort and after modification should look like

e.g. dimdim.serverPortNumber=80

NOTE: Please RESTART the Dimdim Conference Server once you have modified these files.

Please let me know if this helped you in modifying the IP Address of the Installation.

Thanks
      Rohit

• Carlos Diogo

Carlos Diogo - 2008-05-27

Hi
        I found out that just changing that was not enough
        I had also to change on the server.xml the part on "<--! define virtual host" . Only then it worked

BR
        Carlos

• Rajesh Dharmalingam

Hi Carlos,

Could you please let me know the version of the Dimdim you are trying to install? Do you have multiple Ethernet interfaces in the machine where you have installed Dimdim?

You need to add the ip address in server.xml, if you have multiple Ethernet interfaces in the box where you have deployed Dimidm and you need to bind Dimdim to only one Ehternet interface.

Regards,
      -Rajesh
      rajesh@dimdim.com

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks