Webcam and TCP ports

Help
2007-01-02
2013-05-01
  • Riccardo Carraro

Hi all and compliments for the program.

I have installed dimdim on the default port 80 in a LAN windows 2003 server.

I have tried the software in LAN and all it correctly works.

I have then created a nat rule in my firewall that connects the private server IP address IP to one available public address.

The firewall regularly allows to transit packets from and toward the port 80.

Trying dimdim across internet however the windows that concerns the webcam and the microphone doesn't work signalling anymore "connection failed".

Are there other ports that I must open on the firewall with the purpose to resolve the problem?

Many Thanks

Riccardo Carraro

• Rohit Shankar (DimDim Inc.)

Riccardo,

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Please let me know if the Application Sharing and Desktop Sharing works.

The another potential issue seems to be with the NAT.The IP Address supplied while installing the DimDim Conference Server should be your Public IP Address.

Regards
      Rohit

• Riccardo Carraro

Hi Rohit,

Application Sharing and Desktop Sharing do not work.

My first installation in LAN i use a private IP Address, then i use a public to try via internet.

In LAN (private IP) all work fine, via natted public IP there is the problem.

Tks.
      Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

Please resinstall the Dimdim Conference Server and provide the Public IP Address during the installation instead of Local IP Address. Then try to connect to Dimdim via Internet. Let me know the results.

Also send me a copy of your DimdimConference.properties and server.xml files at Rohit@dimdim.com.

Regards
        Rohit

• Riccardo Carraro

Hi Rohit,

Cannot assign unfortunately the public ip address during the installation.

In the server network properties is defined only a private IP.

It's the firewall that, through the NAT, I connect the private IP to the public one.

Through the firewall the server is internet contattabile.

The server is not public but it resides in the LAN.

Regards
      Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

You just need to provide the Public Visible IP while installing. This is required by certain components of Dimdim Server i.e. This is used to form URL to be send in the email invitation to attendees so that they can access the Dimdim Console.

In case you are using some port other than 80 then you also need to provide the port along with the IP.
        i.e. 202.144.12.45:8080 with 202.144.12.45 being your public visible IP and port being 8080.

We understand that Server is in LAN and has local IP Address but providing the Public IP Address during Installation wouldnt affect any of those.

Please let me know if this helped.

Regards
        Rohit