Can't install on CentOS 5.2

Kristen
2008-12-12
2013-05-01
  • Kristen

Kristen - 2008-12-12

I followed all the instructions, and I installed all of the prerequisites. I'm even on CentOS 5.2, which has supposedly been tested with this version of DimDim. Everything was fine. Then I downloaded Dimdim-4.5_SF_i386.rpm and did:
    rpm -ivh Dimdim-4.5_SF_i386.rpm

but I got all of this:

Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
    Checking preinstall checks
    find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc/sys/net: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.
    /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.73913: line 4: [: 5.2: unary operator expected
    Error, OS check failed
    Exit Status...
    error: %pre(dimdim-4.5-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping dimdim-4.5-1

Why would the OS check fail if these are the instructions that are known to work specifically with CentOS 5.2? Here are the other specs:

# uname -r
    2.6.18-028stab053.10-ent

# cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

# arch
    i686

Does anyone know what my problem could be? Thanks!

• gareth

gareth - 2008-12-12

I don't know how much immediate help this is, but I can confirm that 4.5 installed smoothly on my Cent 5.2 server.

# uname -r
      2.6.18-92.1.18.el5

# cat /etc/redhat-release
      CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

# arch
      i686

• Sathit Chaiwiwattrakul

I also can't install on CentOS 5.3.

Same error message. Please help.

• John Grey

John Grey - 2009-10-28

Hi All, I'm replying to this post instead of creating a new one since I seem not to be able to

• John Grey

John Grey - 2009-10-28

find a way to start a new thread…, kind of strange, but anyway, I have a problem with initial setup as well. My WMWare Infra Server seems to be changing the ip of my dimdim vm. Re-config with 192.168.0.XX 80 option with prior stop and subsequent restart does not help as it causes multiple breakdowns at start up…, what do I do? I have Vista64 and trying dimdim 4.5 open source. Please help!

• Obinna Amalu

Obinna Amalu - 2009-11-06

hey Sathitc

you  cant install on centos 5.3 because didmdim has an OS version check in the rpm install script which reads the /etc/issue file to see the line CentOS Release 5.2 (final). If it doesnt see that line, it aborts your installation. I had this same issue as I had to install it on RHEL 5 due to my company policy. Simply doing that, it works. Hope it helps

• Obinna Amalu

Obinna Amalu - 2009-11-06

ddyr u have the same issue i addressed above. You could do the same thing

• dspectra1

dspectra1 - 2009-12-11

You can install on Centos 5.3 you just change the version release in /etc to be 5.2. I run on 5.3

• dspectra1

dspectra1 - 2009-12-11

Hard link count is most likely due to a problem with a faulty install or boot. Looks like a problem with how the network is being setup. reboot and look for errors during the startup there should be no failed services. You may need to reinstall the OS.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks