Menu

Diddlebug inspired iPhone app

2011-03-01
2013-04-15
  • Nathan Stitt

Nathan Stitt - 2011-03-01

Apologies for somewhat off topic post.

I'm a huge fan of Diddlebug and found that it was the only app I really missed once I migrated to an iPhone.  Accordingly, one of the first things I did when I got some free time was create a replacement.  In honor of Diddlebug, I've decided to opensource and released the code.

Someone already had grabbed the name Diddlebug on the app store, so I named mine Remindly.  It's got pretty much the same feature set as Diddlebug, however it takes advantage of the iPhone's GPS to create geographical based alarms that can fire whenever you enter or leave an area.

It's available from iTunes or at http://iogee.com/remindly 

Hopefully those of us who've moved on to an iPhone will find it useful.

• Lee Most

Lee Most - 2011-12-22

Personally, I think it's not all that off-topic.  My Treo died earlier this year and I've been desperately searching for an Android ap that does what DiddleBug did for me.  The closest I've found is called apMemo, in that it allows me to draw on the screen and assign an alarm time to the memo.  Unlike DiddleBug, it does not allow separate sounds for each alarm, has no visible countdown timer, can't include text in the drawing, has no repeating alarms, no snooze feature, and the Android electrostatic touch screens can't provide the accuracy that a Treo's stylus can for making detailed corrections. 

There are other aps that allow one to assign an alarm time to a text note, but nothing I've found yet does everything good ole DiddleBug did for me, so what I'm really hoping every time I stop by here is to find that some generous developer has found a way to port DiddleBug to other OSs like the ones used by my Android and your iPhone.