Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

Translator/Translation needed.

Developers
2004-12-06
2013-04-22
  • Mauricio Gracia Gutierrez

I have a very usefull document that describes Guitar Pro 4.06 format in French and need to have that document in English or Spanish.

The documents describes some typical tecnical words as BYTES (octects), SHORT INTS and such, these type of terms should be transalted very carefully in order to keep the meaning.

Thanks for your help.

• Avery Ceo

Avery Ceo - 2004-12-09

I started working on a first draft, but "Proprit" (line 6) implies ownership and, possibly, copyright of thhis document. 

A translation would (at least under American copyright law) be considered a derivative work.  Since no license is given in the document as posted, permission would need to be obtained before distributing the translated file (or even, for that matter, passing it back and forth between ourselves).  Do you have M. Vromman's permission (or rather, the permission of Arobas-Music) to translate this?

Since I dont know french I did not know that it said that, but I received the file directly from the developers and they knew the purpose of the program that I am intending to develop.

I will try to contact them about this. Thanks for this very usefull information.

• Avery Ceo

Avery Ceo - 2004-12-09

No problem, just wanted to make sure it was something that could be gone ahead with.  I'll keep working on the translation, but it may be a little slow.  I'm familiar with programming jargon, and comfortable with French, but I am not a native speaker and am unfamiliar with French programming jargon.  So far I've only finished section 1.

• Matthieu Wipliez

Hi Avery!

As I wrote earlier, as a french speaker, I think I could help you with the translation. What about sharing the work in 2 pieces? The document is about 1000 lines long, so you could take the first 500 lines, and I would take the last 500. Please let me know what you think about this!

Bye

• Avery Ceo

Avery Ceo - 2004-12-12

Sounds good to me.  Then, once mauriciogracia gets the official OK for the translation, we can check each others' work for consistency and put it together.  Glad to have you aboard!

Avery

• Matthieu Wipliez

Hi,

You're lucky to have this Guitar Pro file format description! I think I could manage to translate it into English, as I do am a native french speaker :). So just let me know if you would like some help on it!

Bye

Hello

I would like your help (translation is not an exact process) maybe you can contact AVERY_CEO who wrote this ....

By: Avery Ceo - avery_ceo
        RE: Translator/Translation needed.  
        2004-12-09 17:46 
        .......... I'll keep working on the translation, but it may be a little slow. I'm familiar with programming jargon, and comfortable with French, but I am not a native speaker and am unfamiliar with French programming jargon. So far I've only finished section 1.

Hello, I have sent this message to "David Gros"
      --------------
      DATE:     Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:13:42 -0600 (CST)
      SUBJECT:    Questions about the <GP4 file format description (french)>
      TO:    "David Gros" <david@arobas-music.com>

Hello Again

Thanks again for sending me the <GP4 file format description (french)> file.

Regarding that file....do I need special permission to perform any of the
      following :

- Publish this document ?
      - Translate this document ?
      - Use this document to develop software that reads/writes Guitar Pro file
      format ?

If that is the case I would like to know what are the conditions for any of
      those.

By the way in order to use the "GUITAR PRO" name are there any
      conditions/restrictions ?

Thanks
      --------------
      As soon as I receive an answer i will post it here.

Yes you can do all that...

Cordialement,

---------------------------
        David Gros
        david@arobas-music.com
        http://www.arobas-music.com
        ---------------------------

MGG> Hello Again

MGG> Thanks again for sending me the <GP4 file format description (french)>
        file.

MGG> Regarding that file....do I need special permission to perform any of the
        MGG> following :

MGG> - Publish this document ?
        MGG> - Translate this document ?
        MGG> - Use this document to develop software that reads/writes Guitar Pro file
        MGG> format ?

MGG> If that is the case I would like to know what are the conditions for any
        of
        MGG> those.

MGG> By the way in order to use the "GUITAR PRO" name are there any
        MGG> conditions/restrictions ?

MGG> Thanks

MGG> =====
        MGG> Mauricio Gracia Gutirrez
        MGG> WebMaster de http://SuPagina.MultiServerS.Com/
        MGG> 571-61372734,573-310-5809779,571-6434918

• Matthieu Wipliez

Allright! That's good!

About the document I've finished to translate the second half (more precisely, from V.5 to the end). I've encoutered a few problems with technical words about music (like barre, and augmented, diminished, root, perfect (for the chords)), but it has been ok.

I'm going to see with avery_ceo so we can check our translations.

Something else, I've noticed that DGuitar should be able to read *.GP3 and *.GTP, which seems not to be in the same format. What do you intend to do about this?

That's all, bye!

• Avery Ceo

Avery Ceo - 2004-12-14

I haven't quite made it to V.5, but I've sent mwipliez the part I have finished.  Hope to be done some time tomorrow.  We should be able to post a merged (unedited) version then, and all that will be left will be to edit for clarity and consistency.

Good followup, btw

Avery

• chfiguer

chfiguer - 2005-10-14

mauricio do you still need a spanish translator? I could help you

great project!

Thanks for your interest

The document has been translated to ENGLISH if you want to contribuite with the SPANISH version you are wellcome

The development has been based on the ENGLISH version but you never know if a SPANISH speaking programer needs the translation that you propose

Let me know