Mac version?

Ant Bryan
2006-12-28
2013-04-25
  • Ant Bryan

Ant Bryan - 2006-12-28

I was thinking, it might be nice to have a Mac binary up for download...that way more casual Mac users could test it out and give feedback. Or if somebody that's compiled it could post it somewhere.

• micrond

micrond - 2007-02-07

I'm not familiar with cross compilation. I tried to "autoconf" the package but I get macro expansion errors:
      autoconf
      configure.in:4: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
            If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
            See the Autoconf documentation.
      configure.in:5: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
      configure.in:6: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
      configure.in:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
      configure.in:31: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_CC_STDC
      configure.in:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
      configure.in:47: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_OPTIONS_WXCONFIG
      configure.in:48: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_WXCONFIG

From the last line, I guess it should be possible to specify the path for wxWidgets.

Help would be appreciated to make OS-X version append...

micrond

• Max Velasques

Max Velasques - 2007-02-07

Hi,
      try some like this:
      $ ./configure --with-wxdir=/home/user/wxWidgets-2.8.0

Or try to use the Makefile.gcc instead of autoconf.
      $ make -f Makefile.gcc WXWIDGETS_DIR="WX_WIDGETS_DIRECTORY"

• micrond

micrond - 2007-02-10

As I said in a previous message, I'm missing key elements to compile on the mac. When I tried to rebuild to configure script from configure.in, I got a list of undefined macros. When using makefile.gcc, I failed to compile because of directory structure. I'm interrested to build the software on mac platform but I feel a little cleanup may be helpfull. Or a least a clear build documentation: environment variables, build parameters for wxWidgets, build parameters and directory stucture, and so on.
      Let me know if we should go on...

micrond

• Max Velasques

Max Velasques - 2007-02-10

Hi,
         sorry to take so long to answer.
      To create the configure script successfully, you have to run the follow commands:

$ aclocal
      $ autoheader
      $ automake --include-deps --add-missing --foreign --copy
      $ autoconf

To do this easily the program has a shell script called "bootstrap" (for linux systems), that execute this
      commands.

About the problems, what kind of changes do you suggests?

Max

• micrond

micrond - 2007-02-13

Hi,

Here is the result of the operations above.
        - trying to run bootstrap lead to error:Autoconf 2.50 or above is required. Aborting build...

But a check of the version number gave me this:
        $autoconf -V
        autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
        Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
        This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
        warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

As boostrap did not work, I ran the four commands by hand. Here are the results (a few warnings...):
        ------------------------------------
        $ aclocal
        $ autoheader
        $ automake --include-deps --add-missing --foreign --copy
        configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
        configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
        configure.in: installing `./missing'
        Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/automake line 8449.
        : installing `./config.guess'
        Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/automake line 8449.
        : installing `./config.sub'
        aclocal.m4:1046: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
        src/Makefile.am:42: wxdfast_SOURCES was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition NOXRCMODE_TRUE

wxdfast_SOURCES (User, where = src/Makefile.am:42) +=
          {
            TRUE => \         BoxFind.cpp\         DownloadThread.cpp\         InProgressList.cpp\         UtilFunctions.cpp\         BoxNew.cpp\         FinishedList.cpp\         MainFrame.cpp\         Metalink.cpp\         wxDFast.cpp\         BoxOptions.cpp\         FTP.cpp\         ProgressBar.cpp\         CheckNewRelease.cpp\         Graph.cpp\         TaskBarIcon.cpp\         DownloadFile.cpp\         HTTP.cpp\         UrlName.cpp\         wxMD5/md5.cpp\         wxMD5/wxMD5.cpp

}
        src/Makefile.am:60: wxdfast_LDFLAGS was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition WIN32BUILD_TRUE

wxdfast_LDFLAGS (User, where = src/Makefile.am:60) +=
          {
            TRUE => \         $(WX_LIBS)

}
        src/Makefile.am:42: warning: automake does not support conditional definition of wxdfast_SOURCES in wxdfast_SOURCES
        : am_wxdfast_OBJECTS was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition NOXRCMODE_TRUE
          am_wxdfast_OBJECTS (Automake, where = undefined) =
          {
            TRUE => BoxFind.$(OBJEXT) DownloadThread.$(OBJEXT) InProgressList.$(OBJEXT) UtilFunctions.$(OBJEXT) BoxNew.$(OBJEXT) FinishedList.$(OBJEXT) MainFrame.$(OBJEXT) Metalink.$(OBJEXT) wxDFast.$(OBJEXT) BoxOptions.$(OBJEXT) FTP.$(OBJEXT) ProgressBar.$(OBJEXT) CheckNewRelease.$(OBJEXT) Graph.$(OBJEXT) TaskBarIcon.$(OBJEXT) DownloadFile.$(OBJEXT) HTTP.$(OBJEXT) UrlName.$(OBJEXT) md5.$(OBJEXT) wxMD5.$(OBJEXT)
          }
        src/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
        src/Makefile.am:42: wxdfast_SOURCES was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition NOXRCMODE_TRUE

wxdfast_SOURCES (User, where = src/Makefile.am:42) +=
          {
            TRUE => \         BoxFind.cpp\         DownloadThread.cpp\         InProgressList.cpp\         UtilFunctions.cpp\         BoxNew.cpp\         FinishedList.cpp\         MainFrame.cpp\         Metalink.cpp\         wxDFast.cpp\         BoxOptions.cpp\         FTP.cpp\         ProgressBar.cpp\         CheckNewRelease.cpp\         Graph.cpp\         TaskBarIcon.cpp\         DownloadFile.cpp\         HTTP.cpp\         UrlName.cpp\         wxMD5/md5.cpp\         wxMD5/wxMD5.cpp

}
        src/Makefile.am:60: wxdfast_LDFLAGS was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition WIN32BUILD_TRUE

wxdfast_LDFLAGS (User, where = src/Makefile.am:60) +=
          {
            TRUE => \         $(WX_LIBS)

}
        src/Makefile.am:42: warning: automake does not support conditional definition of wxdfast_SOURCES in wxdfast_SOURCES
        : am_wxdfast_OBJECTS was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition NOXRCMODE_TRUE
          am_wxdfast_OBJECTS (Automake, where = undefined) =
          {
            TRUE => BoxFind.$(OBJEXT) DownloadThread.$(OBJEXT) InProgressList.$(OBJEXT) UtilFunctions.$(OBJEXT) BoxNew.$(OBJEXT) FinishedList.$(OBJEXT) MainFrame.$(OBJEXT) Metalink.$(OBJEXT) wxDFast.$(OBJEXT) BoxOptions.$(OBJEXT) FTP.$(OBJEXT) ProgressBar.$(OBJEXT) CheckNewRelease.$(OBJEXT) Graph.$(OBJEXT) TaskBarIcon.$(OBJEXT) DownloadFile.$(OBJEXT) HTTP.$(OBJEXT) UrlName.$(OBJEXT) md5.$(OBJEXT) wxMD5.$(OBJEXT)
          }
        $ autoconf
        $
        ------------------------------------

Should I worry about the warning messages ? How do we build universal binary (PPC and Intel) ?

Still unable to compile after:
        $ ./configure  --with-wx-directory=~/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0 --with-wx-config=~/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/wx-config

Still getting:
          checking for ~/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/wx-config... no
          configure: error:
                        wxWindows must be installed on your system.

Please check that wx-config is in path, the directory
                        where wxWindows libraries are installed (returned by
                        'wx-config --libs' or 'wx-config --static --libs' command)
                        is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent variable and
                        wxWindows version is 2.6.0 or above.

if I run the wx-config by hand, I get:
        $ ~/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/wx-config --libs
        -L/Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib   -framework QuickTime -framework IOKit -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -framework System  /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_mac_aui-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_mac_xrc-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_mac_qa-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_mac_html-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_mac_adv-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_mac_core-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_base_carbon_xml-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_base_carbon_net-2.8.a /Users/michel/programmation/wxMac-2.8.0/osx/lib/libwx_base_carbon-2.8.a -framework WebKit -lwxexpat-2.8 -lwxtiff-2.8 -lwxjpeg-2.8 -lwxpng-2.8 -lz -lpthread -liconv

Tired for tonight. Any idea ????

micrond

• Ant Bryan

Ant Bryan - 2007-02-10

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried wxMac? It's on the wxWidgets download page. I'm not familiar with compiling on macs or in general, but maybe that would help. I just took a look at the Multiget documentation, which is another download manager that uses wxWidgets, and it mentioned that (altho their docs were scarce as well and they have no mac binary).

• micrond

micrond - 2007-02-12

Yes, I downloaded wxMac and I successfully compiled it following instructions.

My suggestions:
      1. produce a little file GettingStartedWithCompile.txt that describe the usage of the files, the way they were generated, what to do to compile (including aclocal, autheader, etc.), the expected directory structure and the parameters or environement variables used and their meaning.
      2. make sure we make a little constraint on the directory structure of external project. For example, wxMac suggest to create a osx-debug to build a debug library.
      3. document expected options to build wxWidgets (debug, shared, etc.)

I will keep in touch a give a new at compilation.

Keep in touch,

micrond

• Michael Brian Bentley

I used macports (nee darwinports) to install wxWidgets and wxdfast. The process was very straightforward (once you have mac ports installed, that is), but the results were not very useful. The screen came up for wxdfast, but an error message shows up every couple seconds: "Could not unlock mutex (error 2: No such file or directory)"

• Ant Bryan

Ant Bryan - 2007-02-14

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1647624&group_id=106901&atid=645951

It's in the bug tracker, but there's no solution yet. Is there some type of log that will help track this down? I wonder if this error is just on OS X, or other platforms too?

• Max Velasques

Max Velasques - 2007-02-14

Hi,
          try to remove the lines:

513 -- if (mutex_programoptions->TryLock() != wxMUTEX_NO_ERROR)
        514 --     return;

826 -- mutex_programoptions->Unlock();
        838 -- mutex_programoptions->Unlock();

from the MainFrame.cpp file, and rebuild the program.
        Let me know if this solve the problem.

OK?

Max Velasques

• Sven Rubben

Sven Rubben - 2007-02-15

Hi,

I tried this, and it "solved" the problem in the sense that the mutex error did not appear anymore.

But the GUI was completely blocked when I launched the program afterwards. I could not click on anything, and I had to kill the program.

• Max Velasques

Max Velasques - 2007-02-18

Hi all,
         Could you guys try the last svn, and let me know about the results.

Thanks!!

Max

• David G Cooper

David G Cooper - 2007-02-19

when I checkout through svn, there is no configure file, so I can't compile anything. What am I missing?

Thanks,

David

• Max Velasques

Max Velasques - 2007-02-21

Hi,
          before execute ./configure , you have to run the command:
      $ ./bootstrap.

This command that create the configure script.

Or you can use the Makefile.gcc to build the program.
      At this case, you have to run:
      $ make -f Makefile.gcc

OK?

Max

• David G Cooper

David G Cooper - 2007-02-21

bootstrap doesn't work, but I did the commands by hand, and once I took AM_PROG_LIBTOOL out of the configure.in file, I was able to compile. wxdfast runs but it appears to be in a deadlock, for I cannot interact with it at all.

Let me know if you have/update other fixes you would like me to try:

cooplogic -{[at-]} yahoo [d0t] com

• Ant Bryan

Ant Bryan - 2007-02-25

Maybe it would help to put a notice on the front page that wxDF compiles on Mac, but needs developers/testers to get it into a usable state?

• Anonymous - 2007-03-12

Just wanted to mention that I just checked out a copy from svn and used the Makefile.gcc to build it.  Here's the results:

http://www.homerow.net/dfast/dfastmac.png

It did fail once (I wasn't running under gdb, so I did catch the failure location), but I haven't had any issues with GUI interaction.  And when I restarted after the failure, it started the download immediately and is happily working away.  I'm able to use the menus, bring up About and Export config dialogs while downloading.   The graph seems to have frozen as it's not updating anymore, but the download is still going.

A couple of suggestions:

Use wxID_ABOUT for the About menu item.
      Use wxID_PREFERENCES for the Options menu item.
      The Options dialog needs a little attention to sizing.

Incidentially, I built against wxWidgets 2.6.3.

Leland

(I don't monitor this forum, so if you have ?s or want me to try something feel free to email me:  dfast at homerow.net)

• Anonymous - 2007-03-12

Well, not entirely successful:

http://www.homerow.net/dfast/dfastmd5.png

Probably due to the initial failure.  I will try downloading it again tomorrow.

Also, note that the graph started back up again all by itself.  It doesn't go all the way to the left hand side, but at least it was drawing towards the end of the download.

Leland

• Grant Bowman

Grant Bowman - 2008-01-12

Any update yet?  This thread was pointed to from the home page.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks