More info

Jeff
2012-12-24
2013-01-02
  • Jeff

Jeff - 2012-12-24

Hi Pierre,

There's more to the story. When I save the file (CTRL-F9 to save it to my development server as well) it resets the Options>Highlighter back to "PHP" from "Multi (html+php+css+js)" and turns off the Code Folding indicators on the line number bar.

If I go to Options>Highlighter and select "Multi (html+php+css+js)" it turns the Code Folding indicators back on as well.

Everything is fine until I save again and then the Options>Highlighter is set back to "PHP" and the Code Folding indicators turn back off.

Thinking that it has something to do with Code Folding turned on, I turn Code Folding off and restart (with Options>Highlighter set to "Multi (html+php+css+js)". It comes back up with Options>Highlighter set to "PHP".

If I type something in this state, it's fine. If I set Options>Highlighter back to "Multi (html+php+css+js)" any keystroke I make in the code page brings up the "Access Violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000." error message.

Oh, and the html comment tag bug is still there. :^(

I would run with Code Folding turned on and switch Options>Highlighter back and forth between "PHP" and "Multi (html+php+css+js)" to get my work done, but I think a better solution right now is to go back to a 2.6.0.xxx release.

If you want to try a few things, let me know and I'll stay with this 2.6.1.358 release and work around the issues.

Thanks again for your time.

-Jeff

• Pierre Fauconnier

1) Ctrl+F9 resets the Highlighter back to "PHP" from "Multi", and turns off the code folding bar
      Weird. Works for me with FTP. No resets at all.

2) "PHP" turns off the Code Folding and "Multi" turns the Code Folding indicators back on as well
      This is by design. Code-folding is depending on each highlighter. "Multi" (SynWeb component) implements code-folding, but "PHP" (SynEdit component) does not support it yet.

3) Access Violation is back again when Code-folding is on and highlighter is set to "Multi"
      Please, could you drop me a small piece of code?

Thanks again for your report.

• Jeff

Jeff - 2012-12-31

Hi Pierre,

I'm sorry about the delay over the holidays.

1) Weird, yes. This happens whether Code Folding is turned on or off.

2) That makes sense, then, that Code Folding would turn off when the highlighter changed to PHP.

3) The test code I'm using is very small. It's two lines in a file named test.php:
    1. (?php ?)
    2. (h1)

Replace the parenthesis with the greater-than/less-than symbols.

With Code Folding turned off and Highlighter set to "Multi (html+php+css+js)" if I edit anywhere in the first line, it works. If I edit anywhere in the second line, I get the Access Violation error.

Last edit: Pierre Fauconnier 2012-12-31
    • Pierre Fauconnier

1) Ctrl+F9 resets the Highlighter back to "PHP" from "Multi", and turns off the code folding bar

*Need more information* - because it works for me (with FTP, I didn't test under SFTP)

2) "PHP" turns off the Code Folding and "Multi" turns the Code Folding indicators back on as well

This is by design. Code-folding is depending on each highlighter.

*Closed*

3) Access Violation is back again when Code-folding is on and highlighter is set to "Multi" + very small piece of code
      <?php ?>
      <h1>

Thanks a lot for this snippet. It took me a while to fix that bug.
      *Fixed*

New exe available via menu "Options/Check before update…" then click on the URL next to "Exp"

• Jeff

Jeff - 2013-01-01

The latest devphp.exe does seem to fix the Access Violation error. I tried it with Code Folding turned on and off and I couldn't get the Access Violation error to occur.

With respect to issue #1: I was getting the same Highlighter response just saving the file (Ctrl-S). It didn't matter what Highlight choice I selected (Smarty, Cascading style sheets, XML, etc.), after I saved the file, the Highlighter reverted to PHP.

Being a firm believer that fixing one problem frequently fixes other problems, I thought I should start from scratch, so I uninstalled the Dev-PHP IDE, reinstalled 2.6.1.358., and redownloaded and installed the new devphp.exe.

First, I reconfirmed that I could not reproduce the Access Violation error under any of the combinations of conditions.

Next, I noticed that Dev-PHP started up with the Highlighter "Multi" selected instead of "PHP" for my .php files. Since I prefer that, my problem is actually solved - but there's still a problem.

If I select a different Highlighter for .html or .php files, make an edit and save the file, the Highlighter reverts to "Multi".
    If I select a different Highlighter for a .css file (which has, by default, the "Cascading style sheets" Highlighter), it reverts back to the "Cascading style sheets" Highlighter after an edit and save.
    If I select a different Highlighter for a .js file (which has, by default, the "Javascript" Highlighter), it reverts back to the "Javascript" Highlighter after an edit and save.

Or, to put it simply, the Highlighter resets to the default setting after a file save.

• Pierre Fauconnier

3) Access Violation is back again when Code-folding is on and highlighter is set to "Multi" + very small piece of code

*Fixed*

I reconfirmed that I could not reproduce the Access Violation error under any of the combinations of conditions.

*Closed* (and thanks a lot for all your tests and reports)

Or, to put it simply, the Highlighter resets to the default setting after a file save.

*Works for me* First, we have to rebuild the rule applied here. I'm afraid it's only: "use the default setting". If we change it to: "use the setting selected by user instead of the default", this becomes a bit difficult.
      Indeed, it means we must save such a setting for each file having a highlighter different from the default highlighter - By the way, the default highlighter is computed from the file extensions defined in "Options/General/Files". That's why, at first, I changed the status to "Rejected".

Last edit: Pierre Fauconnier 2013-01-02
  • Jeff

Jeff - 2013-01-02

As I noted earlier, my preference for .php files is "Multi", so I'm happy.

My 2 cents worth, though - as a user, I would expect that any Highlighter changes would remain in effect until I close the IDE. I wouldn't expect that saving a file in any way would affect the Highlighter setting. I would also expect that if I changed the Highlighter setting for one file type, that all open files and all opened files of that file type would have the same Highlighter setting - not a different Highlighter setting for each individual file.

I have looked at "Options/General/Files" many times before, but my poor brain never registered the word "Highlighters" directly below the "File Extensions" title. Now I finally understand the true purpose of that page! So now I understand that if I wanted a "permanent" default highlighter for a file type, I could change it there.

Of course, a more elegant way of making the "permanent" default highlighter change would be by having "Options/Highlighter/" make the change for me. :)

Again, this is food for thought. It's not something I need, but if I did, what I described above is how I would expect it to work.

As a final note, I'm happy to report that the strange HTML comment tag action (that drove me to install the latest version of Dev-PHP in the first place) has indeed been fixed.

Thanks for all your help with this.

Last edit: Pierre Fauconnier 2013-01-02
    • Pierre Fauconnier

My 2 cents worth,

Of course. The status "Rejected" has been changed to "Works for me".

I would expect that any Highlighter changes would remain in effect until I close the IDE

Ok - this could be done, though it would imply to create a file-highlighter-status (the selected highlighter inside the menu "Options/Highlighters/" would be italicized or something like that). Could you file in a feature request?

if I changed the Highlighter setting for one file type, then all open files and all opened files of that file type would have the same Highlighter setting - not a different Highlighter setting for each individual file.

You're right. Such a change must be propagated to all opened files - and will also reset the previously italicized highlighters, right?

Of course, a more elegant way of making the "permanent" default highlighter change would be by having "Options/Highlighter/" make the change for me.
      Again, this is food for thought. It's not something I need, but if I did, what I described above is how I would expect it to work.

Ok. I like Pola (Principle of least astonishment). Are you sure this is really the least astonishment (selecting a menu item changes the highlighter and also updates the files extensions used for syntax highlighting)? On the other hand, I agree with you: the tree structure displayed in the "Options" window is not enough self explanatory (user friendly). Which captions should we display and / or reorder and / or expand?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks