The publisher of this software could not be verified - .exe download

Help
Steve
2013-05-16
2013-06-07
  • Steve

Steve - 2013-05-16

If you download the .exe file w/o the full installer, then copy it into your C:\Program Files\Dev-PHP2 you may get the above message. If unticking the "Never ask" box fails to work and you get it every time you run devphp do the following;
    1. Copy the .exe out of the program files folder to another folder - such as documents.
    2. Right click the .exe in this folder and choose "Properties"
    3. Click the "General" Tab
    4. Click the [Unblock] button at the bottom of the dialogue
    5. Click OK.
    6. Now copy it back to the Program Files folder.

This is a typical windows buggette, and may not affect all copies of windows.

Pierre - I suspect this occurs because you upload the .exe straight from your Program Files folder. Its best to copy it to another folder first, then upload. That should avoid the special info being uploaded that tells windows it has come from another machine.

• Pierre Fauconnier

I suspect this occurs because you upload the .exe straight from your Program Files folder.

Actually I'm working from a virtual machine (XP/sp3).
      There, the working path is c:\pfa\svn\devphp (I'm using the subversion system)
      So, no %ProgramFiles% is used in this environment.
      Your workaround is perfect anyway

Now about the security warning "The publisher of this software could not be verified".
      The 'proper' way to prevent this message to appear is to code-sign the executable so that the publisher can be verified.
      But signing is a bit of a pain due to the need of getting a certificate.

• Steve

Steve - 2013-06-06

Its just one of those annoying MS security thingies to do with downloading and copying .exe files. Just had to repeat this with the FAR find and replace program (On source forge - recommended BTW)

• Pierre Fauconnier

Actually the FAR program is a java program embedded into a ms-windows executable thanks to the Launch4j project - hence the famous security warning "publisher of this software could not be verified".

Last edit: Pierre Fauconnier 2013-06-07

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks