|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-11-26 02:17:55
|
Dear Heiko, I'm unable to boot the 3.1 kernel in 32-bit nor 64-bit version. Immediately after the syslinux/isolinux menu, I have a black console screen. No matter which VGA mode I choose (80x25 too). Compilation was with default settings from scratch too. All 3.0.9 builds are booting ok. Mayby I need special config settings? Rgds Andrzej Odyniec |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-11-26 13:53:22
|
Andrzej, Are you using the version with grsecurity? If yes, try updating the patch: http://grsecurity.net/test/grsecurity-2.2.2-3.1.1-201111201943.patch I can't upload another test version right now to verify it's not your build host, since I'm having trouble all the sudden to get gcc compiled.... -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org > -----Original Message----- > From: Andrzej Odyniec [mailto:an...@ma...] > Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 8:17 PM > To: dev...@li... > Subject: [Devil-linux-develop] Can not boot 3.1 kernel > > Dear Heiko, > > I'm unable to boot the 3.1 kernel in 32-bit nor 64-bit version. Immediately > after the syslinux/isolinux menu, I have a black console screen. No matter > which VGA mode I choose (80x25 too). Compilation was with default settings > from scratch too. > > All 3.0.9 builds are booting ok. > > Mayby I need special config settings? > > Rgds > > Andrzej Odyniec > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- > All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a > definitive record of customers, application performance, security threats, > fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this data and makes sense of it. IT > sense. And common sense. > http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-11-26 23:51:31
|
Heiko, > Are you using the version with grsecurity? > If yes, try updating the patch: > http://grsecurity.net/test/grsecurity-2.2.2-3.1.1-201111201943.patch I tried compilation without grsecurity, because I need D-L as base to following builds. This not loading builds was done on last 3.0.9 D-L base. So I now return again to 64-bit Debian as base and run again build of last 3.1.1 on this Debian. If this will load, problem is with D-L as base. If not, problem is maybe with kernel compiling process or with 3.1.1 kernel. > I can't upload another test version right now to verify it's not your build > host, since I'm having trouble all the sudden to get gcc compiled.... It's understandable. But there is no problem. I can pull grsecurity, if kernel compiled without will load. It is interesting that the kernel.org address the last stable as 3.1.2, but the last grsecurity test is targeted to kernel 3.1.1. It may indeed be a problem with that kernel 3.1.1? Regards Andrzej Odyniec |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-11-27 14:36:01
|
Hey, > -----Original Message----- > From: Andrzej Odyniec [mailto:an...@ma...] > Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:51 PM > To: dev...@li... > Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] Can not boot 3.1 kernel > > Heiko, > > Are you using the version with grsecurity? > > If yes, try updating the patch: > > http://grsecurity.net/test/grsecurity-2.2.2-3.1.1-201111201943.patch > > I tried compilation without grsecurity, because I need D-L as base to following > builds. This not loading builds was done on last 3.0.9 D-L base. So I now return > again to 64-bit Debian as base and run again build of last 3.1.1 on this Debian. > If this will load, problem is with D-L as base. If not, problem is maybe with > kernel compiling process or with 3.1.1 kernel. Don't use grsecurity if you want to use it as a build host for DL. It will more than likely interfere with the compile. > > I can't upload another test version right now to verify it's not your > > build host, since I'm having trouble all the sudden to get gcc compiled.... > > It's understandable. But there is no problem. I can pull grsecurity, if kernel > compiled without will load. It is interesting that the kernel.org address the > last stable as 3.1.2, but the last grsecurity test is targeted to kernel 3.1.1. It > may indeed be a problem with that kernel 3.1.1? All the kernel patches are usually at least a couple of days behind the main kernel version. I just saw 3.1.3 is out and the grsec patch for it too. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-11-28 01:34:11
|
Heiko, > Don't use grsecurity if you want to use it as a build host for DL. It will > more than likely interfere with the compile. Yes. I know. This is the reason, why I first time run build without grsecurity. > All the kernel patches are usually at least a couple of days behind the main > kernel version. I just saw 3.1.3 is out and the grsec patch for it too. I saw this patches too. But anyway... D-L with kernel 3.1.2 built from scratch with last CVS sources on Debian base system (as for now 64-bit) and with default settings (only x86_64 and grsecurity off) does not loads kernel. I think, this is issue for 32-bit too. There is possible, that kernel is broken or Your changes in scripts (especially string 3.0 changed to 3.x --- in some places this is error, i.e. in grsecurity script... yes, I know, I switched off grsecurity, but...). But I can not boot build with kernel 3.1. I will experiment with next kernel. Regards Andrzej Odyniec |
|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-11-29 11:43:22
|
I wrote: > D-L with kernel 3.1.2 built from scratch with last CVS sources on Debian base system (as for now > 64-bit) and with default settings (only x86_64 and grsecurity off) does not loads kernel. I think, > this is issue for 32-bit too. > > There is possible, that kernel is broken or Your changes in scripts (especially string 3.0 changed > to 3.x --- in some places this is error, i.e. in grsecurity script... yes, I know, I switched off > grsecurity, but...). > > But I can not boot build with kernel 3.1. I will experiment with next kernel. Dear Heiko, I have first 3.1.1-grsec 32-bit bootable (after adopting grsecurity name to "3.x" pattern) but I'm not sure why this, because in desperation I ran 4 parallel builds with different experiments and only one result is bootable. So I will build more systematically. Maybe kernel-patches are inadequate... Regards -- Andrzej Odyniec |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-11-29 13:28:11
|
Quoting Andrzej Odyniec <an...@ma...>: > I wrote: > >> D-L with kernel 3.1.2 built from scratch with last CVS sources on >> Debian base system (as for now >> 64-bit) and with default settings (only x86_64 and grsecurity off) >> does not loads kernel. I think, >> this is issue for 32-bit too. >> >> There is possible, that kernel is broken or Your changes in scripts >> (especially string 3.0 changed >> to 3.x --- in some places this is error, i.e. in grsecurity >> script... yes, I know, I switched off >> grsecurity, but...). >> >> But I can not boot build with kernel 3.1. I will experiment with >> next kernel. > > Dear Heiko, > > I have first 3.1.1-grsec 32-bit bootable (after adopting grsecurity name to > "3.x" pattern) but I'm not sure why this, because in desperation I ran 4 > parallel builds with different experiments and only one result is > bootable. So > I will build more systematically. Maybe kernel-patches are inadequate... Okay, keep me posted. I'm still struggling with gcc, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to run a test myself. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |