|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-10-25 15:27:47
|
Dears, This problem is probably due to my ignorance. DL compilation from July on 2.6.38.7 kernel works correctly in my context, as all earlier ones. Gateways and routers on the DL after replacing to 3.0.4 work successfully, maybe with one exception of having to add all routefilter to all interfaces, because without this options shorewall generates default sfilter thus filtering forwarding between interfaces. But on central, dual homed router, attempt of 3.0.4 substitution failed in operation of zebra/bgpd. Bgpd routes are now injected only into one of two providers interfaces. Injection to the second interface are unsuccessfull. I could not even determine which daemon is the cause, but it looks like the zebra, because it is responsible for injecting the roads to the FIB. Maybe some of you know what may be the cause. It appears that definitions providers interfaces differs only in addresses and that one is assigned a default gateway and the other does not. Now compiled with the latest Shorewall DL and the latest Quagga and will try again. However, I have the impression that the kernel 3.0.4 changed something serious in the IP stack and I haven't knowledge about it. Maybe anyone of you know about this issue? Best regards -- Andrzej Odyniec |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-10-25 15:34:26
|
Andrzej, I'm not aware of any major changes in the IP stack (which doesn't mean much). Please let me know how the latest versions of the software work. Heiko Quoting Andrzej Odyniec <an...@ma...>: > Dears, > > This problem is probably due to my ignorance. DL compilation from July on > 2.6.38.7 kernel works correctly in my context, as all earlier ones. > > Gateways and routers on the DL after replacing to 3.0.4 work successfully, > maybe with one exception of having to add all routefilter to all interfaces, > because without this options shorewall generates default sfilter thus > filtering forwarding between interfaces. > > But on central, dual homed router, attempt of 3.0.4 substitution failed in > operation of zebra/bgpd. Bgpd routes are now injected only into one of two > providers interfaces. Injection to the second interface are unsuccessfull. I > could not even determine which daemon is the cause, but it looks like the > zebra, because it is responsible for injecting the roads to the FIB. > > Maybe some of you know what may be the cause. It appears that definitions > providers interfaces differs only in addresses and that one is assigned a > default gateway and the other does not. > > Now compiled with the latest Shorewall DL and the latest Quagga and will try > again. However, I have the impression that the kernel 3.0.4 changed something > serious in the IP stack and I haven't knowledge about it. > > Maybe anyone of you know about this issue? > > Best regards > > -- > Andrzej Odyniec > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > The demand for IT networking professionals continues to grow, and the > demand for specialized networking skills is growing even more rapidly. > Take a complimentary Learning@Cisco Self-Assessment and learn > about Cisco certifications, training, and career opportunities. > http://p.sf.net/sfu/cisco-dev2dev > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-10-30 00:13:50
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > I'm not aware of any major changes in the IP stack (which doesn't mean much). > Please let me know how the latest versions of the software work. Hi Heiko, This is hard to test. I can try new soft on my main router only after midnight and not everynight. Now I tested last build (after Your changes and upgrades and with newest shorewall/quagga). There is no difference. Into one of ISP interfaces BGP injections are correct but into second -- not. So router can not work. I tried with changing/removing default routes on both interfaces, bu there is no change: my zebra/bgp does not like one of my ISP. Gets bgp messages from it, but can not inject route into FIB for its interface if this route is best, so I have about only half of routing table. Booting image from July with exactly this same config correct this problem. Quagga version has no matter. So, I think, problem must be in kernel build parameters or its runtime configuration. I can't find anything in net about this. So I need read docs, sources, and try debugging. But my router can work on build from July -- this is good build. I have no idea yet, so all suggestions welcome. Best regards -- Andrzej Odyniec |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2011-10-30 14:36:36
|
Hey, Try the latest kernel patch: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/patch-3.0.8.bz2 If you have grsec enabled, then also update this patch (you'll need to bzip in the src directory): http://grsecurity.net/test/grsecurity-2.2.2-3.0.8-201110250925.patch The build will probably get stuck on the prepare script. Just do a ctrl+c. Then go into tmp/linux-3.0 And do a "make oldconfig" Any new parameter it's asking you for, add it with the prefix CONFIG_ to the file scripts/config/linux-3.0/config_linux Then continue the build. Sometimes you have to do the 'make oldconfig' a 2nd time. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org > -----Original Message----- > From: Andrzej Odyniec [mailto:an...@ma...] > Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:13 PM > To: dev...@li... > Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] Problem with Quagga and kernel 3.0.4 > > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > I'm not aware of any major changes in the IP stack (which doesn't mean > much). > > Please let me know how the latest versions of the software work. > > Hi Heiko, > > This is hard to test. I can try new soft on my main router only after midnight > and not everynight. > > Now I tested last build (after Your changes and upgrades and with newest > shorewall/quagga). There is no difference. Into one of ISP interfaces BGP > injections are correct but into second -- not. So router can not work. I tried > with changing/removing default routes on both interfaces, bu there is no > change: my zebra/bgp does not like one of my ISP. Gets bgp messages from > it, but can not inject route into FIB for its interface if this route is best, so I > have about only half of routing table. > > Booting image from July with exactly this same config correct this problem. > Quagga version has no matter. So, I think, problem must be in kernel build > parameters or its runtime configuration. > > I can't find anything in net about this. So I need read docs, sources, and try > debugging. But my router can work on build from July -- this is good build. > > I have no idea yet, so all suggestions welcome. > > Best regards > > -- > Andrzej Odyniec > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- > Get your Android app more play: Bring it to the BlackBerry PlayBook in > minutes. BlackBerry App World™ now supports Android™ Apps for > the BlackBerry® PlayBook™. Discover just how easy and simple it is! > http://p.sf.net/sfu/android-dev2dev > > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Andrzej O. <an...@ma...> - 2011-10-31 12:26:31
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Try the latest kernel patch: > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/patch-3.0.8.bz2 > > If you have grsec enabled, then also update this patch (you'll need to bzip > in the src directory): > http://grsecurity.net/test/grsecurity-2.2.2-3.0.8-201110250925.patch > > The build will probably get stuck on the prepare script. Just do a ctrl+c. > Then go into tmp/linux-3.0 > And do a "make oldconfig" > Any new parameter it's asking you for, add it with the prefix CONFIG_ to the > file scripts/config/linux-3.0/config_linux > Then continue the build. Sometimes you have to do the 'make oldconfig' a 2nd > time. Thanks Heiko, I will try it. I have another idea: I found a difference between the two interfaces, as I read the zebra source. This good boy is on the MB and this bad boy is on the quad head card. Zebra load paths to the kernel via netlink, analyzing before some interface attributes, and on this basis decide whether to inject routes into the kernel for that interface or not. Perhaps the problem is with the e1000e driver that needs my card, and the way he presents the attributes of interfaces. Driver may not set some new attributes. Well, I'll fight :-) Thanks -- Andrzej Odyniec |