Thanks for the submission, I think this is a very good idea.
We'll be adding it to DL as soon as one of us gets a chance.
Heiko
Quoting Dominic Raferd <dl...@ed...>:
> I have developed a Windows script (batch file) which I have called
> win-install-dl-on-usb, which like the existing install-on-usb linux
> script can install DL to USB drive, performing formatting, making it
> bootable etc. I think it would be a good addition, requiring only 3
> small files in the base directory of the release bundle (same location
> as install-on-usb).
>
> It is aimed primarily at newcomers to DL - makes it easier to get
> started. Installation to USB has previously been very difficult unless
> you already have a Linux-based machine. It does not offer any option to
> save a configuration, but if you already have a configuration on another
> partition of the USB drive, or on another drive, it could be used for OS
> upgrading.
>
> The script includes safety and runtime-error checking, and installation
> is only permitted to a removable drive (so users should not be able to
> wipe their hard disk).
>
> As well as the batch file, it requires 2 open source programs:
> syslinux.exe and fart.exe (yes I know, but it is apparently short for
> find-and-replace-text). All 3 can be found in my Mantis submission at
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/devil-linux/view.php?id=83. It
> also requires an installation of 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org), which is
> worth having anyway IMO.
>
> It has been tested under Windows XP 32-bit and Vista 32-bit, but I would
> welcome more testing especially under Windows 7 and/or under 64-bit
> Windows. If it fails, a snapshot of the screen would help me narrow down
> the problem.
>
> Dominic
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by
>
> Make an app they can't live without
> Enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/RIM-dev2dev
> _______________________________________________
> Devil-linux-develop mailing list
> Dev...@li...
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop
>
--
Regards
Heiko Zuerker
http://www.devil-linux.org
----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
|