|
From: roy b. <roy...@ya...> - 2007-07-13 20:34:23
|
Hi,
I hope this is the right place to send this.
At the start of this week, I downloaded everything to
build Devil-Linux 1.3.4 (2007-07-11).
I unchecked "Run build with nice" in make
menuconfig,Build Configuration.
The first problems I encountered were these three
packages refused to compile: ncftp,syslinux and
quagga. (Fragments of logs at end of message)
So, I edited .config to set CONFIG_NCFTP and
CONFIG_QUAGGA to n.
As I could not find a CONFIG_SYSLINUX I created
/build/tmp/.done_build_syslinux.
I can live without ncftp,syslinux and quagga for now.
I have a MiniItx box a Light cv700a so can boot of
Flash using Grub.
The build works Ok, but I had to copy
/build/tmp/syslinux-3.51/ppmtolss16 to /sbin to get
'make iso' to work as syslinux had not compiled and
installed.
The Light box failed to boot this code, whimpering
about unabe to /dev/loop.
So, I modified mount_cdrom
changing lines like:
mount -o loop=/dev/loop0 -t iso9660
/cd/bootcd.iso.old $1 || return 1
to
losetup /dev/loop0 /cd/bootcd.iso.old
mount -t iso9660 /dev/loop0 $1 || return 1
and prior to each umount adding:
losetup -d /dev/loop0
I think that the mount command can mount loop devices
:-(
The next issue for me is networking.
The Light cv700a uses 3 RealTek ethernet cards
(8139too)
Which fail to work under devil linux.
I have had the network cards, on this box, work under
centos 4.3.
More puzzling is the lack of networking:
root@Devil:~ # ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436
txqueuelen:0
root@Devil:~ # ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
(real mac shown)
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500
txqueuelen:1000
root@Devil:~ # ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.1 netmask
255.255.255.0
root@Devil:~ # ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
(real mac shown)
inet addr: 192.168.2.1 Bcast:192.168.2.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500
txqueuelen:1000
root@Devil:~ # route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags
Metric Ref Use Iface
root@Devil:~ # route add -net 192.168.2.0/24 dev eth0
SIOCADDRT: Network is down.
I can ping 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.2.1 on the box
locally but can not get any traffic out of the phsical
interface.
I have redhat linux box connected to the Devil Linux
Light CV700a with a cross over cable.
The packet light flashes on the Devil Linux but no
traffic enters the OS.
The redhat box can't see any arp address for the Light
box.
Please help..
I am willing and able to undertake any build testing
that may help
Many Thanks
Roy.
Fragments of logs
-----------------
/build/tmp/LOGS/build/ncftp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Compiling DStrCat.c.
gcc -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -O2 -W -Wall
-Wno-format-y2k -DLINUX=2
6021 -DLINUX_GLIBC= -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLINUX=26021
-DLINUX_GLIBC= -I/build/tmp
/ncftp-3.2.0 -I/build/tmp/ncftp-3.2.0/libncftp
-I/build/tmp/ncftp-3.2.0/sio -
I/build/tmp/ncftp-3.2.0/Strn DStrCat.c -c
In file included from DStrCat.c:1:
syshdrs.h:57: error: expected identifier or '('
before '__extension__'
/build/tmp/LOGS/build/quagga
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[4]: Entering directory
`/build/tmp/quagga-0.99.7/lib'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/etc/zebra/\" -I.
-I. -I.. -I.. -I.. -I../lib -I/usr/include/net-snmp
-I/usr/include/net-snmp/library -Os
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -std=c99 -Wall
-Wsign-compare -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast
-Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -Wchar-subscripts -Wcast-qual
-MT network.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/network.Tpo -c
network.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/network.o
In file included from
/usr/include/linux/rtnetlink.h:5,
from ./zebra.h:165,
from network.c:23:
/usr/include/linux/if_link.h:43: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before '__u64'
In file included from
/usr/include/linux/rtnetlink.h:7,
from ./zebra.h:165,
from network.c:23:
/usr/include/linux/neighbour.h:92: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before '__u64'
/build/tmp/LOGS/build/syslinux
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gcc -nopie -fno-stack-protector -m32
-fno-stack-protector -mregparm=3 -DREGPARM=3 -W -Wall
-march=i386 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer
-I../libutil/include -I../include -D__COM32__ -c -o
mboot.o mboot.c
mboot.c: In function 'trampoline_start':
mboot.c:870: error: can't find a register in class
'BREG' while reloading 'asm'
===============================
___________________________________________________________
Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
|
|
From: Serge L. <fi...@in...> - 2007-07-16 11:25:23
Attachments:
mount.cdrom
|
Hi, roy barnard wrote: > At the start of this week, I downloaded everything to > build Devil-Linux 1.3.4 (2007-07-11). ... > The first problems I encountered were these three > packages refused to compile: ncftp,syslinux and > quagga. (Fragments of logs at end of message) quagga - see asm_types.h.patch into src dir. # http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7724 pushd /usr > /dev/null && patch -p1 < $DL_DIR/src/asm_types.h.patch && popd > /dev/null syslinux: It's a problem for me too - I can't compile syslinux v.3.51, only 3.36. Use the version 3.36. ncftp: I'll check. > The build works Ok, but I had to copy > /build/tmp/syslinux-3.51/ppmtolss16 to /sbin to get > 'make iso' to work as syslinux had not compiled and > installed. > > The Light box failed to boot this code, whimpering > about unabe to /dev/loop. > So, I modified mount_cdrom ... > I think that the mount command can mount loop devices > :-( > Hm... Quick fix is in the attachment. Use it please until we submit the patch to cvs. > The next issue for me is networking. > The Light cv700a uses 3 RealTek ethernet cards > (8139too) > > Which fail to work under devil linux. I assure you that it's working. root@vpnc:~ # lsmod | grep 8139 8139too 27136 0 8139cp 24448 0 mii 6016 2 8139too,8139cp root@vpnc:~ # ifconfig eth0 eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:61:9E:23:A8 inet addr:10.5.192.41 Bcast:10.5.223.255 Mask:255.255.224.0 UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 txqueuelen:1000 root@vpnc:~ # ip r l 10.5.192.0/19 dev eth0 scope link default via 10.5.192.1 dev eth0 root@vpnc:~ # cat /etc/sysconfig/nic/ifcfg-eth0 DEVICE=eth0 ONBOOT=yes MODULE="8139too." DHCP=yes IP= NETMASK= BROADCAST="" Try to configure your NICs using "setup" command. -- Sincerely Serge Leschinsky |
|
From: Jan H. P. <jh...@jh...> - 2007-07-17 22:19:17
|
Serge Leschinsky wrote: > Hi, > > roy barnard wrote: > > >> At the start of this week, I downloaded everything to >> build Devil-Linux 1.3.4 (2007-07-11). >> I have a router running with this one for a few days now. Works ok for me. root@Devil:~ # uptime 00:16:47 up 5 days, 21:50, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00 At the moment a total of 7 interfaces in the box, only 3 life though at the moment. > ... > >> The first problems I encountered were these three >> packages refused to compile: ncftp,syslinux and >> quagga. (Fragments of logs at end of message) >> > > quagga - see asm_types.h.patch into src dir. > > # http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7724 > pushd /usr > /dev/null && patch -p1 < $DL_DIR/src/asm_types.h.patch && popd > > /dev/null > > > syslinux: > > It's a problem for me too - I can't compile syslinux v.3.51, only 3.36. Use the > version 3.36. > > > Here syslinux compiles if I disable the hardened compile options of gcc. > Try to configure your NICs using "setup" command. > > I have tried creating the config with the setup command but this did not work for me. As I said before, I think the initscripts should be upgraded to use iproute2 instead of the ancient ifconfig commands. I created all network configs using fwbuilder and the fwbuilder script uses iproute2 to setup the interfaces. Jan Hugo |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2007-07-17 23:11:03
|
On Tue, July 17, 2007 17:19, Jan Hugo Prins wrote: >> Try to configure your NICs using "setup" command. >> >> >> > I have tried creating the config with the setup command but this did not > work for me. As I said before, I think the initscripts should be upgraded > to use iproute2 instead of the ancient ifconfig commands. I created all > network configs using fwbuilder and the fwbuilder script uses iproute2 to > setup the interfaces. We would gladly accept any volunteers who want to take on this task. :-) -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Serge L. <fi...@in...> - 2007-07-18 19:24:28
|
Hi, Jan Hugo Prins wrote: >> syslinux: >> >> It's a problem for me too - I can't compile syslinux v.3.51, only 3.36. Use the >> version 3.36. > Here syslinux compiles if I disable the hardened compile options of gcc. Jan, have I understood you correctly that you disabled hardened compile options of gcc for DL _in whole_? As regards my attempts, I still hope to keep the hardened compile option for the system... > I have tried creating the config with the setup command but this did not > work for me. > As I said before, I think the initscripts should be upgraded to use > iproute2 instead of the ancient ifconfig commands. > I created all network configs using fwbuilder and the fwbuilder script > uses iproute2 to setup the interfaces. It's a devilishly hard task. I'd like to avoid it as far as possible. -- Serge Leschinsky |
|
From: Jan H. P. <jh...@jh...> - 2007-07-19 19:03:11
|
Serge Leschinsky wrote: > Jan, have I understood you correctly that you disabled hardened compile options > of gcc for DL _in whole_? As regards my attempts, I still hope to keep the > hardened compile option for the system... > > Yes indeed, somewhere on the mailinglists of syslinux I found a message from the syslinux developers that they didn't think that the pie option would be used to compile there stuff, so they didn't take this into account. At least that is what I remember from it. Have to look it up again to be sure. Anyway, disabling the hardened compile options completly fixed it for me. > It's a devilishly hard task. I'd like to avoid it as far as possible. > > I know that it is a tough job. But the problem is that the old ifconfig commands are not capable of all the things that iproute2 can do for you. And especially for 2.6 kernels, iproute2 is much better. I will see if I can start creating something, but it will take some time before it is a complete set. For now I have fwbuilder scripts and they work very well for me. Greetings, Jan Hugo Prins |
|
From: roy b. <roy...@ya...> - 2007-07-17 23:19:18
Attachments:
inetutils.patch
|
Hi again,
Many thanks for the help so far.
The patch file asm_types.h.patch allowed me to
compile quagga. :-)
The patch file for mount_cdrom works great! :-)
You are right to say network is working. my problem is
is that there are two copies of ifconfig.
The first one found of the path is built from
inetutils and this produces output like this:
root@Devil:~ # ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436
txqueuelen:0
This will NOT configure my network card and as it is
the fisr copy found on the path the network script
uses it.
The second ifconfig is in the sbin directory and is
compiled fron net-tools, this produces output like:
root@Devil:~ # /sbin/ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0
TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:688 (688.0 b) TX bytes:688 (688.0
b)
This works (and give statistics, nice).
I can now configure my network card with:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
and the routing tables looks like this:
root@Devil:~ # ip r l
192.168.2.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src
192.168.2.1
The 8139too module is autoloaded during the boot
process.
The setup tool adds a trailing dot (.) on the module
name in the config file.
root@Devil:~ # cat /etc/sysconfig/nic/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
MODULE="8139too."
DHCP=no
IP="192.168.2.1"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
BROADCAST="192.168.2.255"
This is not critical as the module is already loaded
(discovered at boot), so "/etc/init.d/network restart"
will get the card up and working.
Two suggestions for fixing the two copies of ifconfig:
1) edit /etc/init.d/network and change all instances
of ifconfig to /sbin/ifconfig
2) patch /build/scripts/inetutils to disable compiling
ifconfig with "--disable-ifconfig"
Both work, I prefer the second option attached is the
patch I used.
There are other duplicate files:
groups, hostname and mktmp can be found in both /bin
and /usr/bin both sets work but are different
binaries.
ntlm_auth can be found in both /usr/bin and /usr/sbin,
again both execute but are different binaries.
rpc.rquoted can be found in /sbin and /usr/bin, both
execute and are different binaries.
My consern is that like my issue with picking up a
ifconfig that did not work for me, the same could be
said of these files. The PATH is
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin.
Also every time I restart networking I get :
/etc/wlan/shared: line 77: :[ too many arguments.
any ideas?
Thanks again,
Roy.
___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it
now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/ |
|
From: Serge L. <fi...@in...> - 2007-07-18 19:33:18
|
Hi, roy barnard wrote: > > You are right to say network is working. my problem is > is that there are two copies of ifconfig. Oops... > > The first one found of the path is built from > inetutils and this produces output like this: .... > Both work, I prefer the second option attached is the > patch I used. > Fixed. Thank you for the patch! > The setup tool adds a trailing dot (.) on the module > name in the config file. ... > This is not critical as the module is already loaded > (discovered at boot), so "/etc/init.d/network restart" > will get the card up and working. Hm... Well, I've noted it in my TODO list (but with low priority). > There are other duplicate files: > > groups, hostname and mktmp can be found in both /bin > and /usr/bin both sets work but are different > binaries. ... > ntlm_auth can be found in both /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, > again both execute but are different binaries. ... > rpc.rquoted can be found in /sbin and /usr/bin, both > execute and are different binaries. hostname - coreutils and net-tools groups - coreutils and shadow mktmp -(?) ntlm_auth - squid and samba (?) rpc.rquotad - quota-tools and nfs-utils Please help me to make decision :-) > > Also every time I restart networking I get : > > /etc/wlan/shared: line 77: :[ too many arguments. > > any ideas? Not yet, sorry. I excluded wifi-related options while was doing the last build. -- Serge Leschinsky |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2007-07-19 12:25:41
|
OK here's my vote: >> There are other duplicate files: >> >> >> groups, hostname and mktmp can be found in both /bin and /usr/bin both >> sets work but are different binaries. > ... > >> ntlm_auth can be found in both /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, again both >> execute but are different binaries. > ... > >> rpc.rquoted can be found in /sbin and /usr/bin, both execute and are >> different binaries. > hostname - coreutils and net-tools net-tools > groups - coreutils and shadow shadow > mktmp -(?) Didn't I include that a short while ago? It's too early here to remember.... > ntlm_auth - squid and samba (?) samba > rpc.rquotad - quota-tools and nfs-utils > > Please help me to make decision :-) usually I'd say quota-tools, but I think the package is pretty old. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: roy b. <roy...@ya...> - 2007-07-19 15:46:57
|
OK, I agree with these suggestions. Many Thanks, Roy. --- Heiko Zuerker <he...@zu...> wrote: > OK here's my vote: > > >> There are other duplicate files: > >> > >> > >> groups, hostname and mktmp can be found in both /bin and /usr/bin both > >> sets work but are different binaries. > > ... > > > >> ntlm_auth can be found in both /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, again both > >> execute but are different binaries. > > ... > > > >> rpc.rquoted can be found in /sbin and /usr/bin, both execute and are > >> different binaries. > > hostname - coreutils and net-tools > net-tools > > > groups - coreutils and shadow > shadow > > > mktmp -(?) > Didn't I include that a short while ago? > It's too early here to remember.... > > > ntlm_auth - squid and samba (?) > samba > > > rpc.rquotad - quota-tools and nfs-utils > > > > Please help me to make decision :-) > usually I'd say quota-tools, but I think the package is pretty old. > > > > -- > > Regards > Heiko Zuerker > http://www.devil-linux.org > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express > Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take > control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now. > http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/ > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > ___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it now. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/ |