|
From: Kari M. <ka...@tr...> - 2005-09-08 20:45:15
|
from their web site: HAVP (HTTP Antivirus Proxy) is a proxy with a ClamAV anti-virus scanner.=20 The main aims are continuous, non-blocking downloads and smooth scanning=20 of dynamic and password protected HTTP traffic. Havp antivirus proxy has=20 a parent and transparent proxy mode. It can be used with squid or=20 standalone. # HTTP Antivirus proxy # Scans complete incomming traffic # Nonblocking downloads # Smooth scanning of dynamic and password protected traffic # Can used with squid or other proxy # Parent proxy support # Transparent proxy support # Logfile # Process change to defined user and group # Daemon # Use Clamav (GPL antivirus) # Operating System: Linux # Written in C++ # Released under GPL http://www.server-side.de/index.htm I think this really would add something very unique to DL: I've been searching for a CD-based Linux with realtime http traffic=20 virus scanning. None found so far. The external boxes from Panda/TrendMicro/etc. are hideously expensive. A DL box would be more suitable for many organisations. OK. Those expensive boxes do more, but still.. I found this HAVP from http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp The source download is less than 600 KB. This is a Request For Comment :-) Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, Kari Mattsson |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2005-09-08 20:53:13
|
You got my OK. Anybody wants to submit a patch? Heiko On Thu, September 8, 2005 15:45, Kari Mattsson wrote: > > from their web site: > > HAVP (HTTP Antivirus Proxy) is a proxy with a ClamAV anti-virus scanner. > The main aims are continuous, non-blocking downloads and smooth scanning > of dynamic and password protected HTTP traffic. Havp antivirus proxy has a > parent and transparent proxy mode. It can be used with squid or > standalone. > > # HTTP Antivirus proxy > # Scans complete incomming traffic > # Nonblocking downloads > # Smooth scanning of dynamic and password protected traffic > # Can used with squid or other proxy > # Parent proxy support > # Transparent proxy support > # Logfile > # Process change to defined user and group > # Daemon > # Use Clamav (GPL antivirus) > # Operating System: Linux > # Written in C++ > # Released under GPL > > > http://www.server-side.de/index.htm > > > I think this really would add something very unique to DL: > I've been searching for a CD-based Linux with realtime http traffic > virus scanning. None found so far. > > The external boxes from Panda/TrendMicro/etc. are hideously expensive. > A DL box would be more suitable for many organisations. > > > OK. Those expensive boxes do more, but still.. > > > I found this HAVP from http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp > > > The source download is less than 600 KB. > > > This is a Request For Comment :-) > > > > Terveisin/With kind regards/Med hälsningar/Lugupidamisega, > > > Kari Mattsson > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------- > SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle > Practices > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * > http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > > -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2005-09-08 21:01:27
|
Has anyone actually tried the program? I'd like to hear how well it really works (or not). Also, I see there are some other AV addons for squid listed on the http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp page mentioned. Is this one the "best" one for DL? Also, looking at the docs, it appears that it does not work directly with squid, but it's a standalone proxy server and squid can be setup to proxy it's traffic through it. Not the best way to integrate it with Squid, IMO. I'm curious why you picked this one over the others listed? (unless you don't plan on using Squid, then I understand) As you can probably tell, I use and like Squid. :-) - BS > You got my OK. > Anybody wants to submit a patch? > > Heiko > > On Thu, September 8, 2005 15:45, Kari Mattsson wrote: > > > > > from their web site: > > > > HAVP (HTTP Antivirus Proxy) is a proxy with a ClamAV anti-virus scanner. > > The main aims are continuous, non-blocking downloads and smooth scanning > > of dynamic and password protected HTTP traffic. Havp antivirus proxy has a > > parent and transparent proxy mode. It can be used with squid or > > standalone. > > > > # HTTP Antivirus proxy > > # Scans complete incomming traffic > > # Nonblocking downloads > > # Smooth scanning of dynamic and password protected traffic > > # Can used with squid or other proxy > > # Parent proxy support > > # Transparent proxy support > > # Logfile > > # Process change to defined user and group > > # Daemon > > # Use Clamav (GPL antivirus) > > # Operating System: Linux > > # Written in C++ > > # Released under GPL > > > > > > http://www.server-side.de/index.htm > > > > > > I think this really would add something very unique to DL: > > I've been searching for a CD-based Linux with realtime http traffic > > virus scanning. None found so far. > > > > The external boxes from Panda/TrendMicro/etc. are hideously expensive. > > A DL box would be more suitable for many organisations. > > > > > > OK. Those expensive boxes do more, but still.. > > > > > > I found this HAVP from http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp > > > > > > The source download is less than 600 KB. > > > > > > This is a Request For Comment :-) > > > > > > > > Terveisin/With kind regards/Med hälsningar/Lugupidamisega, > > > > > > Kari Mattsson > > |
|
From: Kari M. <ka...@tr...> - 2005-09-08 21:41:58
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Has anyone actually tried the program? > I'd like to hear how well it really works (or not). Sorry, I cannot help here. > Also, I see there are some other AV addons for squid listed on the > http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp page mentioned. =20 > Is this one the "best" one for DL? Dunno. Se below.. > Also, looking at the docs, it appears that it does not work directly > with squid, but it's a standalone proxy server and squid can be setup t= o > proxy it's traffic through it. Not the best way to integrate it with > Squid, IMO. True, but this gives the option not to cache, but just filter/check for=20 viruses, and you can get by without Squid. > I'm curious why you picked this one over the others listed?=20 Good question :-) > (unless you don't plan on using Squid, then I understand) > As you can probably tell, I use and like Squid. :-) I like Squid too. It is just not required in all installations. I go through all the choices on the above mentioned clamav page: DansGuardian Anti-Virus Patch - takes the Virus Scanning capabilities of=20 ClamAV and integrates them into the content filtering web proxy=20 DansGuardian. Latest: Antivirus plugin stable version 6.4.3 for DansGuardian 2.8.0.6 I'm not sure if this DansGuardian 2.8.0.6 is a proxy which has to be=20 installed, too. OK. This one looks good feature-wise, but that additional requirement...=20 Hmm... Frox - Frox is a transparent ftp proxy. Not for the intended usage? Otherwise, Frox might be a nice addon, if ftp proxy is required. ...or does Squid do ftp proxying really well nowadays? HAVP - proxy with an antivirus filter. It does not cache or filter=20 content. At the moment the complete traffic is scanned. A reason for=20 that is the chance of malicious code in nearly every filetypes e.g. HTML=20 (JavaScript) or Jpeg. mod_clamav - Apache virus scanning filter Not for the intended usage. ClamAV module for ProFTPD - This is an add on module for ProFTPD Not for the intended usage. SafeSquid - if I understand right, the free version is a cache only, and=20 does not have ClamAV support. Commercial version has it all. If I'm wrong, the this might be the best one. SquidClamAV Redirector - 404 Not Found ... Squidclam - this is really not ready yet Viralator - Viralator is a perl script that virus scans http downloads=20 on a linux server after passing through the squid proxy server. Future Enhancements: 1. Remove the use of Wget and use LWP Perl module to download the files 2. Fix Internet Explorer anonomous FTP problem 3. Fix websites that use .exe as a web page extension So, DansGuradian HAVP SafeSquid These are the only three options I see. If DG requires another proxy to be installed, and SS does not have=20 ClamAV support in the free version, we only have HAVP left. > - BS >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 >>You got my OK. >>Anybody wants to submit a patch? >> >>Heiko >> >>On Thu, September 8, 2005 15:45, Kari Mattsson wrote: >> >>>from their web site: >>> >>>HAVP (HTTP Antivirus Proxy) is a proxy with a ClamAV anti-virus scanne= r. >>>The main aims are continuous, non-blocking downloads and smooth scanni= ng >>>of dynamic and password protected HTTP traffic. Havp antivirus proxy h= as a >>>parent and transparent proxy mode. It can be used with squid or >>>standalone. >>> >>># HTTP Antivirus proxy >>># Scans complete incomming traffic >>># Nonblocking downloads >>># Smooth scanning of dynamic and password protected traffic >>># Can used with squid or other proxy >>># Parent proxy support >>># Transparent proxy support >>># Logfile >>># Process change to defined user and group >>># Daemon >>># Use Clamav (GPL antivirus) >>># Operating System: Linux >>># Written in C++ >>># Released under GPL >>> >>> >>>http://www.server-side.de/index.htm >>> >>> >>>I think this really would add something very unique to DL: >>>I've been searching for a CD-based Linux with realtime http traffic >>>virus scanning. None found so far. >>> >>>The external boxes from Panda/TrendMicro/etc. are hideously expensive. >>>A DL box would be more suitable for many organisations. >>> >>> >>>OK. Those expensive boxes do more, but still.. >>> >>> >>>I found this HAVP from http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp >>> >>> >>>The source download is less than 600 KB. >>> >>> >>>This is a Request For Comment :-) >>> >>> >>> >>>Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, >>> >>> >>>Kari Mattsson >>> >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > ------------------------------------------------------- > SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Pract= ices > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &= QA > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5= sf > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >=20 Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, Kari Mattsson Trivore Corp. |
|
From: Kari M. <ka...@tr...> - 2005-09-08 21:59:00
|
I'll continue myself, see below: Kari Mattsson wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: >=20 >> Has anyone actually tried the program? >> I'd like to hear how well it really works (or not). >=20 >=20 > Sorry, I cannot help here. >=20 >> Also, I see there are some other AV addons for squid listed on the >> http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp page mentioned. Is this=20 >> one the "best" one for DL? >=20 >=20 > Dunno. Se below.. >=20 >> Also, looking at the docs, it appears that it does not work directly >> with squid, but it's a standalone proxy server and squid can be setup = to >> proxy it's traffic through it. Not the best way to integrate it with >> Squid, IMO. >=20 >=20 > True, but this gives the option not to cache, but just filter/check for= =20 > viruses, and you can get by without Squid. >=20 >> I'm curious why you picked this one over the others listed?=20 >=20 >=20 > Good question :-) >=20 >> (unless you don't plan on using Squid, then I understand) >> As you can probably tell, I use and like Squid. :-) >=20 >=20 > I like Squid too. It is just not required in all installations. >=20 > I go through all the choices on the above mentioned clamav page: >=20 > DansGuardian Anti-Virus Patch - takes the Virus Scanning capabilities o= f=20 > ClamAV and integrates them into the content filtering web proxy=20 > DansGuardian. > Latest: Antivirus plugin stable version 6.4.3 for DansGuardian 2.8.0.6 > I'm not sure if this DansGuardian 2.8.0.6 is a proxy which has to be=20 > installed, too. > OK. This one looks good feature-wise, but that additional requirement..= .=20 > Hmm... >=20 > Frox - Frox is a transparent ftp proxy. > Not for the intended usage? > Otherwise, Frox might be a nice addon, if ftp proxy is required. > ...or does Squid do ftp proxying really well nowadays? >=20 > HAVP - proxy with an antivirus filter. It does not cache or filter=20 > content. At the moment the complete traffic is scanned. A reason for=20 > that is the chance of malicious code in nearly every filetypes e.g. HTM= L=20 > (JavaScript) or Jpeg. >=20 > mod_clamav - Apache virus scanning filter > Not for the intended usage. >=20 > ClamAV module for ProFTPD - This is an add on module for ProFTPD > Not for the intended usage. >=20 > SafeSquid - if I understand right, the free version is a cache only, an= d=20 > does not have ClamAV support. Commercial version has it all. > If I'm wrong, the this might be the best one. >=20 > SquidClamAV Redirector - 404 Not Found ... >=20 > Squidclam - this is really not ready yet >=20 > Viralator - Viralator is a perl script that virus scans http downloads=20 > on a linux server after passing through the squid proxy server. > Future Enhancements: > 1. Remove the use of Wget and use LWP Perl module to download the files > 2. Fix Internet Explorer anonomous FTP problem > 3. Fix websites that use .exe as a web page extension >=20 >=20 > So, >=20 > DansGuradian > HAVP > SafeSquid >=20 > These are the only three options I see. >=20 > If DG requires another proxy to be installed, and SS does not have=20 > ClamAV support in the free version, we only have HAVP left. SafeSquid only allows commercial use with theis $50 commercial version of the software. So, ignore it here. DansGuardian, on the other hand, looks good... but: http://dansguardian.org/?page=3Dcopyright2 So the situation is about the same as with SafeSquid. In the end: go for HAVP. >> - BS >> >> >> >> >>> You got my OK. >>> Anybody wants to submit a patch? >>> >>> Heiko >>> >>> On Thu, September 8, 2005 15:45, Kari Mattsson wrote: >>> >>>> from their web site: >>>> >>>> HAVP (HTTP Antivirus Proxy) is a proxy with a ClamAV anti-virus=20 >>>> scanner. >>>> The main aims are continuous, non-blocking downloads and smooth=20 >>>> scanning >>>> of dynamic and password protected HTTP traffic. Havp antivirus proxy= =20 >>>> has a >>>> parent and transparent proxy mode. It can be used with squid or >>>> standalone. >>>> >>>> # HTTP Antivirus proxy >>>> # Scans complete incomming traffic >>>> # Nonblocking downloads >>>> # Smooth scanning of dynamic and password protected traffic >>>> # Can used with squid or other proxy >>>> # Parent proxy support >>>> # Transparent proxy support >>>> # Logfile >>>> # Process change to defined user and group >>>> # Daemon >>>> # Use Clamav (GPL antivirus) >>>> # Operating System: Linux >>>> # Written in C++ >>>> # Released under GPL >>>> >>>> >>>> http://www.server-side.de/index.htm >>>> >>>> >>>> I think this really would add something very unique to DL: >>>> I've been searching for a CD-based Linux with realtime http traffic >>>> virus scanning. None found so far. >>>> >>>> The external boxes from Panda/TrendMicro/etc. are hideously expensiv= e. >>>> A DL box would be more suitable for many organisations. >>>> >>>> >>>> OK. Those expensive boxes do more, but still.. >>>> >>>> >>>> I found this HAVP from http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp >>>> >>>> >>>> The source download is less than 600 KB. >>>> >>>> >>>> This is a Request For Comment :-) >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, >>>> >>>> >>>> Kari Mattsson >>>> >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------- >> SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO >> September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle=20 >> Practices >> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing=20 >> & QA >> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce= 5sf >> _______________________________________________ >> Devil-linux-develop mailing list >> Dev...@li... >> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >> >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, >=20 > Kari Mattsson > Trivore Corp. >=20 >=20 > ------------------------------------------------------- > SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Pract= ices > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &= QA > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5= sf > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >=20 Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, Kari Mattsson Trivore Corp. |
|
From: Kari M. <kar...@tr...> - 2005-09-08 21:57:35
|
I'll continue myself, see below: Kari Mattsson wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: >=20 >> Has anyone actually tried the program? >> I'd like to hear how well it really works (or not). >=20 >=20 > Sorry, I cannot help here. >=20 >> Also, I see there are some other AV addons for squid listed on the >> http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp page mentioned. Is this=20 >> one the "best" one for DL? >=20 >=20 > Dunno. Se below.. >=20 >> Also, looking at the docs, it appears that it does not work directly >> with squid, but it's a standalone proxy server and squid can be setup = to >> proxy it's traffic through it. Not the best way to integrate it with >> Squid, IMO. >=20 >=20 > True, but this gives the option not to cache, but just filter/check for= =20 > viruses, and you can get by without Squid. >=20 >> I'm curious why you picked this one over the others listed?=20 >=20 >=20 > Good question :-) >=20 >> (unless you don't plan on using Squid, then I understand) >> As you can probably tell, I use and like Squid. :-) >=20 >=20 > I like Squid too. It is just not required in all installations. >=20 > I go through all the choices on the above mentioned clamav page: >=20 > DansGuardian Anti-Virus Patch - takes the Virus Scanning capabilities o= f=20 > ClamAV and integrates them into the content filtering web proxy=20 > DansGuardian. > Latest: Antivirus plugin stable version 6.4.3 for DansGuardian 2.8.0.6 > I'm not sure if this DansGuardian 2.8.0.6 is a proxy which has to be=20 > installed, too. > OK. This one looks good feature-wise, but that additional requirement..= .=20 > Hmm... >=20 > Frox - Frox is a transparent ftp proxy. > Not for the intended usage? > Otherwise, Frox might be a nice addon, if ftp proxy is required. > ...or does Squid do ftp proxying really well nowadays? >=20 > HAVP - proxy with an antivirus filter. It does not cache or filter=20 > content. At the moment the complete traffic is scanned. A reason for=20 > that is the chance of malicious code in nearly every filetypes e.g. HTM= L=20 > (JavaScript) or Jpeg. >=20 > mod_clamav - Apache virus scanning filter > Not for the intended usage. >=20 > ClamAV module for ProFTPD - This is an add on module for ProFTPD > Not for the intended usage. >=20 > SafeSquid - if I understand right, the free version is a cache only, an= d=20 > does not have ClamAV support. Commercial version has it all. > If I'm wrong, the this might be the best one. >=20 > SquidClamAV Redirector - 404 Not Found ... >=20 > Squidclam - this is really not ready yet >=20 > Viralator - Viralator is a perl script that virus scans http downloads=20 > on a linux server after passing through the squid proxy server. > Future Enhancements: > 1. Remove the use of Wget and use LWP Perl module to download the files > 2. Fix Internet Explorer anonomous FTP problem > 3. Fix websites that use .exe as a web page extension >=20 >=20 > So, >=20 > DansGuradian > HAVP > SafeSquid >=20 > These are the only three options I see. >=20 > If DG requires another proxy to be installed, and SS does not have=20 > ClamAV support in the free version, we only have HAVP left. SafeSquid only allows commercial use with theis $50 commercial version=20 of the software. So, ignore it here. DansGuardian, on the other hand, looks good... but: http://dansguardian.org/?page=3Dcopyright2 So the situation is about the same as with SafeSquid. In the end: go for HAVP. >> - BS >> >> >> >> >>> You got my OK. >>> Anybody wants to submit a patch? >>> >>> Heiko >>> >>> On Thu, September 8, 2005 15:45, Kari Mattsson wrote: >>> >>>> from their web site: >>>> >>>> HAVP (HTTP Antivirus Proxy) is a proxy with a ClamAV anti-virus=20 >>>> scanner. >>>> The main aims are continuous, non-blocking downloads and smooth=20 >>>> scanning >>>> of dynamic and password protected HTTP traffic. Havp antivirus proxy= =20 >>>> has a >>>> parent and transparent proxy mode. It can be used with squid or >>>> standalone. >>>> >>>> # HTTP Antivirus proxy >>>> # Scans complete incomming traffic >>>> # Nonblocking downloads >>>> # Smooth scanning of dynamic and password protected traffic >>>> # Can used with squid or other proxy >>>> # Parent proxy support >>>> # Transparent proxy support >>>> # Logfile >>>> # Process change to defined user and group >>>> # Daemon >>>> # Use Clamav (GPL antivirus) >>>> # Operating System: Linux >>>> # Written in C++ >>>> # Released under GPL >>>> >>>> >>>> http://www.server-side.de/index.htm >>>> >>>> >>>> I think this really would add something very unique to DL: >>>> I've been searching for a CD-based Linux with realtime http traffic >>>> virus scanning. None found so far. >>>> >>>> The external boxes from Panda/TrendMicro/etc. are hideously expensiv= e. >>>> A DL box would be more suitable for many organisations. >>>> >>>> >>>> OK. Those expensive boxes do more, but still.. >>>> >>>> >>>> I found this HAVP from http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#webftp >>>> >>>> >>>> The source download is less than 600 KB. >>>> >>>> >>>> This is a Request For Comment :-) >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, >>>> >>>> >>>> Kari Mattsson >>>> >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------- >> SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO >> September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle=20 >> Practices >> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing=20 >> & QA >> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce= 5sf >> _______________________________________________ >> Devil-linux-develop mailing list >> Dev...@li... >> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >> >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, >=20 > Kari Mattsson > Trivore Corp. >=20 >=20 > ------------------------------------------------------- > SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Pract= ices > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &= QA > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5= sf > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >=20 Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, Kari Mattsson Trivore Corp. --=20 http://trivore.com/ tel:+358-50-69000 |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2005-09-09 13:45:12
|
> > Has anyone actually tried the program? > > I'd like to hear how well it really works (or not). > > Sorry, I cannot help here. I was just thinking it'd be nice to hear from someone who's actually used it before we go to the work of including it in DL. To make sure it works as advertised, etc. :-) > > Also, looking at the docs, it appears that it does not work directly > > with squid, but it's a standalone proxy server and squid can be setup to > > proxy it's traffic through it. Not the best way to integrate it with > > Squid, IMO. > > True, but this gives the option not to cache, but just filter/check for > viruses, and you can get by without Squid. I'd still rather have it be part of squid. I use squid sometimes when I don't want to cache. i.e If I want to enforce authentication, or if I want to create usage logs. I've even installed squid on a standalone workstation and pointed the browsers to localhost. For some reason the browsers seem to run faster when going through squid, instead of using their own cache (weird, I know). > > I'm curious why you picked this one over the others listed? > > Good question :-) Yeah, it seemed to me like it'd be a good idea to compare all the options before choosing one to be included in DL. And it's also be nice to talk to someone who's used it to make sure it runs. :-) It looks like you compared the features below and found the best fit for DL. Are you offering to provide us a patch to add HAVP, or is this a feature request? If you're going to provide us a patch, please burn a CD and test it out before you submit the patch. :-) - BS |
|
From: Kari M. <ka...@tr...> - 2005-10-03 19:18:06
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>Has anyone actually tried the program? >>>I'd like to hear how well it really works (or not). >> >>Sorry, I cannot help here. ...except now I can :-) I've been running havp as a stand-alone proxy (i.e. no caching), both=20 v0.70 and v0.71. They run flawlessly. The program is really simple: just one executable, some configuration=20 files etc. Next I'm planning to move those files onto DL to see how it=20 works. An executable compiled under 2.6.12-kernel Gentoo box executes=20 nicely on v1.2.3 DL -- how well it works, is a matter of testing. http://www.server-side.de/ http://www.server-side.de/ideas.html http://www.server-side.de/download/linuxtag2005.pdf ...are some URLs one should see through if interested in HAVP. Especially the .pdf was revealing, as I like to the architecture of=20 products I''m using. > I was just thinking it'd be nice to hear from someone who's actually > used it before we go to the work of including it in DL. To make sure i= t > works as advertised, etc. :-) So, it works. The box I've been running havp also has Squid happily on the side. So far they are separate; ports 3128 and 8080. When I go into production, I'm planning to use client/browser -> Squid -> HAVP -> Squid -> Web Server as the data flow due to the reasons described in=20 http://www.server-side.de/ideas.html >>>Also, looking at the docs, it appears that it does not work directly >>>with squid, but it's a standalone proxy server and squid can be setup = to >>>proxy it's traffic through it. Not the best way to integrate it with >>>Squid, IMO. True, but given we actually have to support ClamAV, there currently only=20 are DansGuardian (with it's non-optimal licensing) and HAVP, which is GPL= . >>True, but this gives the option not to cache, but just filter/check for= =20 >>viruses, and you can get by without Squid. > I'd still rather have it be part of squid. =20 With HAVP you have the choice, w/ or w/o. Currently there are few rather minor quircks regarding HAVP and DL=20 integration: HAVP always wants to install to /usr/local, with configuration under=20 /usr/local/etc/havp; it really should support '--prefix=3D/' for DL -- if= =20 it did, the integrating HAVP into DL would be next to automatic HAVP also wants a partition with mandatory locks for its virus checking. It defaults to use a partition in /var/tmp/havp. You can use ramdisk,=20 but it is not alwaus a good option. I'm not sure if using the squid=20 partiton would help here...? One nice feature: HAVP uses LibClamav, so you don't need clamd,=20 freshclam is enough. So, you can disable clamd in /etc/init.d/clamav by=20 commenting out line "loadproc $DAEMON $PARAMETER". I use squid sometimes when I > don't want to cache. i.e If I want to enforce authentication, or if I > want to create usage logs. I've even installed squid on a standalone > workstation and pointed the browsers to localhost. For some reason the > browsers seem to run faster when going through squid, instead of using > their own cache (weird, I know). >=20 >=20 >>>I'm curious why you picked this one over the others listed?=20 >> >>Good question :-) >=20 >=20 > Yeah, it seemed to me like it'd be a good idea to compare all the > options before choosing one to be included in DL. And it's also be nic= e > to talk to someone who's used it to make sure it runs. :-) >=20 > It looks like you compared the features below and found the best fit fo= r > DL. Are you offering to provide us a patch to add HAVP, or is this a > feature request? >=20 > If you're going to provide us a patch, please burn a CD and test it out > before you submit the patch. :-) >=20 > - BS >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > ------------------------------------------------------- > SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Pract= ices > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &= QA > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5= sf > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >=20 Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega, Kari Mattsson Trivore Corp. |