|
From: Kari M. <ka...@tr...> - 2005-04-22 21:53:43
|
Few notes from my mailgw.....com project:
- the following services are required:
postfix, spamd, freshclam, sagator, syslog[-ng]
- postfix requires quite a bit hacking for a safe setup, which is=20
accidentally NOT an open relay, but still is an backup MX for many=20
domains, and optionally an gateway for some LAN-side mail servers
- it is a good idea to limit the relay_recipients in postfix so that you=20
don't get overloaded with spam sent to non-existing addresses
- integrating sagator+clamav+spamassassin to postfix is rather=20
straightforward
- it would be a great addition, if i could integrate postfix to=20
saslauthd on this same setup, but it is not possible at this time due to=20
a missing saslauth conf file -- this seems to be a known issue
- last but not least: getting a (graphical) report a something of a key=20
requirement on production systems; currently this seems next to=20
impossible with a stock DL
- sagator has a /etc/mrtg/sagator.cfg file for rudimentary mrtg=20
graphing -- DL does not have mrtg, only rrdtool.
- i tried to find a way to convert that sagtor.cfg to something=20
rrdtool would understand, but my knowledge falls short at this time.
- mailgraph is an excellent (best?) graphing tool on=20
postfix+spamassassin+clamav log files, it uses rrdtool. well, mailgraph=20
only works with metalog ja syslog log files, not with syslog-ng. i'm=20
told changing from syslog-ng to syslog might break things. mailgraph=20
also requires few more perl modules than we currently have.
Any suggestions on how I could get graphs on mail traffic?
I'm willing to send key parts of my main.cf and some other key files, if=20
there is interest. Either to this list, or to requester(s) directly.
Terveisin/With kind regards/Med h=E4lsningar/Lugupidamisega,
Kari Mattsson
Trivore Corp.
|
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2005-04-23 13:48:10
|
Kari Mattsson wrote: > > Few notes from my mailgw.....com project: > > - the following services are required: > postfix, spamd, freshclam, sagator, syslog[-ng] > - postfix requires quite a bit hacking for a safe setup, which is > accidentally NOT an open relay, but still is an backup MX for many > domains, and optionally an gateway for some LAN-side mail servers I guess it would be nice to post the key settings to the discuss list, I'm sure some users will appreciate this. > - it is a good idea to limit the relay_recipients in postfix so that > you don't get overloaded with spam sent to non-existing addresses > - integrating sagator+clamav+spamassassin to postfix is rather > straightforward > - it would be a great addition, if i could integrate postfix to > saslauthd on this same setup, but it is not possible at this time due > to a missing saslauth conf file -- this seems to be a known issue Are we missing this file? > - last but not least: getting a (graphical) report a something of a > key requirement on production systems; currently this seems next to > impossible with a stock DL > > - sagator has a /etc/mrtg/sagator.cfg file for rudimentary mrtg > graphing -- DL does not have mrtg, only rrdtool. > - i tried to find a way to convert that sagtor.cfg to something > rrdtool would understand, but my knowledge falls short at this time. > - mailgraph is an excellent (best?) graphing tool on > postfix+spamassassin+clamav log files, it uses rrdtool. well, > mailgraph only works with metalog ja syslog log files, not with > syslog-ng. i'm told changing from syslog-ng to syslog might break > things. mailgraph also requires few more perl modules than we > currently have. I may add mrtg to 1.2.5, but no promises. I wanted to add some more stuff anyway, it just depends how much time I have available. > Any suggestions on how I could get graphs on mail traffic? Pen and Paper ? ;-) > > I'm willing to send key parts of my main.cf and some other key files, > if there is interest. Either to this list, or to requester(s) directly. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Kari M. <ka...@tr...> - 2005-04-23 17:12:20
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Kari Mattsson wrote: > >> >> Few notes from my mailgw.....com project: >> > I guess it would be nice to post the key settings to the discuss list, > I'm sure some users will appreciate this. I'll do that a bit later. Obvious suggestion.. >> - it would be a great addition, if i could integrate postfix to >> saslauthd on this same setup, but it is not possible at this time due >> to a missing saslauth conf file -- this seems to be a known issue > > > Are we missing this file? I'm referring to an earlier discussion on this list with subject "patch to get postfix to work with saslauthd". The following URL says it "all": http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6791055&forum_id=432 The file /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf is missing. It is a bit tricky to fix properly, as you have to modify that file to suit your authentication requirements. /Kari |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2005-04-24 15:33:27
|
> Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Kari Mattsson wrote: >> >> >>> >>> Few notes from my mailgw.....com project: >>> >>> >> I guess it would be nice to post the key settings to the discuss list, >> I'm sure some users will appreciate this. >> > > I'll do that a bit later. Obvious suggestion.. > > >>> - it would be a great addition, if i could integrate postfix to >>> saslauthd on this same setup, but it is not possible at this time due >>> to a missing saslauth conf file -- this seems to be a known issue >> >> >> Are we missing this file? >> > > I'm referring to an earlier discussion on this list with subject > "patch to get postfix to work with saslauthd". > > > The following URL says it "all": > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6791055&forum_id=43 > 2 > > > The file /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf is missing. It is a bit tricky to > fix properly, as you have to modify that file to suit your authentication > requirements. Now it's coming back... I'll see what I can do, I just don't have much time and really would like to release 1.2.5 ASAP. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |