|
From: ]Aphex[ <ap...@ap...> - 2004-04-27 20:01:25
|
Hello, I have been using devil-linux for a while now, and i really like = it! That's why I started to customize it to my personal needs and I = wrote some things. I am writing for example a little script which counts = bandwith using bash language from /proc/net/dev. Very easy script, but = there wasn't anything that was that easy to use and already included in = devil-linux. Would it be possible I could submit it when it's a bit = stable and see it in a future version of DL? I don't know how you deal with any new guys and how I could help with = devil-linux. I would really like to help with it, could someone tell me = what I should do to put my script (when finished) in devil-linux? If = it's possible to get my script in DL I'd like to update the docs for my = program too. I assume all developing happens through cvs, but that makes me wonder = why people still submit patches to the mailing list. How exactly happens = this development? Alex |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-04-27 20:44:34
|
Hi <realname missing> ]Aphex[ wrote on 27.04.2004 22:02 MET: > Hello, I have been using devil-linux for a while now, and i really like > it! That's why I started to customize it to my personal needs and I > wrote some things. I am writing for example a little script which counts > bandwith using bash language from /proc/net/dev. Very easy script, but > there wasn't anything that was that easy to use and already included in > devil-linux. Would it be possible I could submit it when it's a bit > stable and see it in a future version of DL? > > I don't know how you deal with any new guys and how I could help with > devil-linux. I would really like to help with it, could someone tell me > what I should do to put my script (when finished) in devil-linux? If > it's possible to get my script in DL I'd like to update the docs for my > program too. Hmmm...what about you first make those scripts available for download somewhere, announce them on FreshMeat.net. This should get them a more wide spread testing and after that it might be time to consider them for inclusion. To avoide the "invent the wheel again" situations I ask you, have you searched the web for any solution that might do what you want? If you did not search, please do so and join those projects and then give us information about those project and if you think they are worth including in DL. It's really more about stability, if your scripts are not used and tested by anybody else they might break our complete system in the worst case, eg. by indroducing a security hole. > I assume all developing happens through cvs, but that makes me wonder > why people still submit patches to the mailing list. How exactly happens > this development? There are three developers who have write access to the CVS: * Heiko * Bruce * myself and there are other developers with read-only access, which more or less regularly submit patches to fix bugs, ... If you can please first try to find and fix existing bugs. As said above software projects with some sort of user base are definitely prefered. Still some question? Just ask. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: ]Aphex[ <ap...@ap...> - 2004-04-27 20:57:44
|
Nobody is going to start a project for that little script of let's say 20 lines in bash which you could probably even shorten to 5 lines. I'll add some features anyway and make it stable and more spread :)Thanks for the info. Alex Prinsier ----- Original Message ----- From: "Friedrich Lobenstock" <fl...@fl...> To: <dev...@li...> Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 10:44 PM Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] made little script > Hi <realname missing> > > ]Aphex[ wrote on 27.04.2004 22:02 MET: > > > Hello, I have been using devil-linux for a while now, and i really like > > it! That's why I started to customize it to my personal needs and I > > wrote some things. I am writing for example a little script which counts > > bandwith using bash language from /proc/net/dev. Very easy script, but > > there wasn't anything that was that easy to use and already included in > > devil-linux. Would it be possible I could submit it when it's a bit > > stable and see it in a future version of DL? > > > > I don't know how you deal with any new guys and how I could help with > > devil-linux. I would really like to help with it, could someone tell me > > what I should do to put my script (when finished) in devil-linux? If > > it's possible to get my script in DL I'd like to update the docs for my > > program too. > > Hmmm...what about you first make those scripts available for download > somewhere, announce them on FreshMeat.net. This should get them a more wide > spread testing and after that it might be time to consider them for inclusion. > > To avoide the "invent the wheel again" situations I ask you, have you > searched the web for any solution that might do what you want? If you did > not search, please do so and join those projects and then give us > information about those project and if you think they are worth including > in DL. > > It's really more about stability, if your scripts are not used and tested > by anybody else they might break our complete system in the worst case, eg. > by indroducing a security hole. > > > I assume all developing happens through cvs, but that makes me wonder > > why people still submit patches to the mailing list. How exactly happens > > this development? > > There are three developers who have write access to the CVS: > * Heiko > * Bruce > * myself > > and there are other developers with read-only access, which more or less > regularly submit patches to fix bugs, ... > > If you can please first try to find and fix existing bugs. As said above > software projects with some sort of user base are definitely prefered. > > Still some question? Just ask. > > -- > MfG / Regards > Friedrich Lobenstock > ____________________________________________________________________ > Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock > URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... > ____________________________________________________________________ > > > ------------------------------------------------------- > This SF.Net email is sponsored by: Oracle 10g > Get certified on the hottest thing ever to hit the market... Oracle 10g. > Take an Oracle 10g class now, and we'll give you the exam FREE. > http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=3149&alloc_id=8166&op=click > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-04-27 22:40:47
|
Hi <realname missing>! ]Aphex[ wrote on 27.04.2004 22:58 MET: > Nobody is going to start a project for that little script of let's say 20 > lines in bash which you could probably even shorten to 5 lines. I'll add > some features anyway and make it stable and more spread :)Thanks for the > info. You are always welcome to post a link here on the list. You might even get some people to test it out and maybe also vote for inclusion in DL ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |