|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-27 22:18:00
|
I thought about the config features Tim needs and thought of this: - a boot flag "config_no_scan" (or short "noscan") which would disable probing for disks and searching for archives This is a one-liner, just skip the 'find' lines in linuxrc - config parameter lists something like config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2,/dev/floppy/0 This can become quite complex, unless we do not want to include stuff like search two partitions for one file : config=(/dev/hda1,/dev/hda2):x.tar.bz2 that should be entered like this: config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 This should be easy to implement, split the line at the comma's and handle each block - save device and filename The used device and filename is handed over to /sbin/pre_init from linuxrc, but pre_init discards it. We could save them easily to files in /config , i.e. /config/DL_device_name and /config/DL_archive_name and save-config could ask to save it there as a first option - The boot image I wanted to add the version number to the boot image, so you'd see what you're about to boot. pbmtext/pbmtextps doesn't work for me (error's I could resolve yet), and pbmlabel looks bad (the lines are just 1 point thick, much too thin). Writing the text twice just one point displaced to the right makes it look better, but not perfect... does anybody else know of a standard tool for this stuff? (or could someone else try with pbmtext?) Roland PS: I think I heard feature freeze somewhere ;-) -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-04-27 22:30:51
|
Roland Pabel wrote on 28.04.2004 00:17 MET: > PS: I think I heard feature freeze somewhere ;-) Yes you heard right! -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-27 22:31:18
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > I thought about the config features Tim needs and thought of this: > > - a boot flag "config_no_scan" (or short "noscan") which would disable probing > for disks and searching for archives > This is a one-liner, just skip the 'find' lines in linuxrc Good idea, but let's name the parameter DL_noscan, so we can avoid conflicts. > - config parameter lists > something like > config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2,/dev/floppy/0 > This can become quite complex, unless we do not want to include stuff like > search two partitions for one file : config=(/dev/hda1,/dev/hda2):x.tar.bz2 > that should be entered like this: > config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 > This should be easy to implement, split the line at the comma's and handle > each block config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 is the better solution. But make the : part optional, if not present expect etc.tar.bz2 > - save device and filename > The used device and filename is handed over to /sbin/pre_init from linuxrc, > but pre_init discards it. We could save them easily to files in /config , > i.e. /config/DL_device_name and /config/DL_archive_name > and save-config could ask to save it there as a first option /config is on the CD and so read-only Throw it somewhere in /etc where only root has read/write access. > - The boot image > I wanted to add the version number to the boot image, so you'd see what you're > about to boot. pbmtext/pbmtextps doesn't work for me (error's I could resolve > yet), and pbmlabel looks bad (the lines are just 1 point thick, much too > thin). Writing the text twice just one point displaced to the right makes it > look better, but not perfect... does anybody else know of a standard tool for > this stuff? (or could someone else try with pbmtext?) No idea > Roland > PS: I think I heard feature freeze somewhere ;-) What do others think about including those features in 1.2 ? I think it would be a good addition. cu Heiko |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-27 23:05:45
|
On Wednesday 28 April 2004 00:29, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Roland Pabel wrote: > > I thought about the config features Tim needs and thought of this: > > > > - a boot flag "config_no_scan" (or short "noscan") which would disable > > probing for disks and searching for archives > > This is a one-liner, just skip the 'find' lines in linuxrc > > Good idea, but let's name the parameter DL_noscan, so we can avoid > conflicts. ok > > - config parameter lists > > something like > > config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2,/dev/floppy/0 > > This can become quite complex, unless we do not want to include stuff > > like search two partitions for one file : > > config=(/dev/hda1,/dev/hda2):x.tar.bz2 that should be entered like this: > > config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 > > This should be easy to implement, split the line at the comma's and > > handle each block > > config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 > is the better solution. But make the : part optional, if not present > expect etc.tar.bz2 yes, exactly as it is now > > - save device and filename > > The used device and filename is handed over to /sbin/pre_init from > > linuxrc, but pre_init discards it. We could save them easily to files in > > /config , i.e. /config/DL_device_name and /config/DL_archive_name > > and save-config could ask to save it there as a first option > > /config is on the CD and so read-only > Throw it somewhere in /etc where only root has read/write access. You're right, I thought "/shm" and wrote "/config". If it's placed in /etc/, it could be saved to the archive, but it's of no use. How about placing it alongside /shm/DL_DEVICE ? > > - The boot image > > I wanted to add the version number to the boot image, so you'd see what > > you're about to boot. pbmtext/pbmtextps doesn't work for me (error's I > > could resolve yet), and pbmlabel looks bad (the lines are just 1 point > > thick, much too thin). Writing the text twice just one point displaced to > > the right makes it look better, but not perfect... does anybody else know > > of a standard tool for this stuff? (or could someone else try with > > pbmtext?) > > No idea > > > Roland > > PS: I think I heard feature freeze somewhere ;-) > > What do others think about including those features in 1.2 ? > I think it would be a good addition. the boot option stuff is local to linuxrc, shouldn't introduce any unforseen bugs anywhere else... Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Tim T. <t....@co...> - 2004-04-28 01:31:57
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > > >>>- save device and filename >>>The used device and filename is handed over to /sbin/pre_init from >>>linuxrc, but pre_init discards it. We could save them easily to files in >>>/config , i.e. /config/DL_device_name and /config/DL_archive_name >>>and save-config could ask to save it there as a first option >>> >>> >>/config is on the CD and so read-only >>Throw it somewhere in /etc where only root has read/write access. >> >> >You're right, I thought "/shm" and wrote "/config". If it's placed in /etc/, >it could be saved to the archive, but it's of no use. >How about placing it alongside /shm/DL_DEVICE ? > > That would be excellent! Tim |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-27 23:26:24
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > On Wednesday 28 April 2004 00:29, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>Roland Pabel wrote: >> >>>I thought about the config features Tim needs and thought of this: >>> >>>- a boot flag "config_no_scan" (or short "noscan") which would disable >>>probing for disks and searching for archives >>>This is a one-liner, just skip the 'find' lines in linuxrc >> >>Good idea, but let's name the parameter DL_noscan, so we can avoid >>conflicts. > > ok > > >>>- config parameter lists >>>something like >>>config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2,/dev/floppy/0 >>>This can become quite complex, unless we do not want to include stuff >>>like search two partitions for one file : >>>config=(/dev/hda1,/dev/hda2):x.tar.bz2 that should be entered like this: >>>config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 >>>This should be easy to implement, split the line at the comma's and >>>handle each block >> >>config=/dev/hda1:x.tar.bz2,/dev/hda2:x.tar.bz2 >>is the better solution. But make the : part optional, if not present >>expect etc.tar.bz2 > > yes, exactly as it is now It would probably be a good idea to also rename this parameter to DL_config . All lowercase would probably be better too.... >>>- save device and filename >>>The used device and filename is handed over to /sbin/pre_init from >>>linuxrc, but pre_init discards it. We could save them easily to files in >>>/config , i.e. /config/DL_device_name and /config/DL_archive_name >>>and save-config could ask to save it there as a first option >> >>/config is on the CD and so read-only >>Throw it somewhere in /etc where only root has read/write access. > > You're right, I thought "/shm" and wrote "/config". If it's placed in /etc/, > it could be saved to the archive, but it's of no use. > How about placing it alongside /shm/DL_DEVICE ? Good idea. >>>- The boot image >>>I wanted to add the version number to the boot image, so you'd see what >>>you're about to boot. pbmtext/pbmtextps doesn't work for me (error's I >>>could resolve yet), and pbmlabel looks bad (the lines are just 1 point >>>thick, much too thin). Writing the text twice just one point displaced to >>>the right makes it look better, but not perfect... does anybody else know >>>of a standard tool for this stuff? (or could someone else try with >>>pbmtext?) >> >>No idea >> >> >>>Roland >>>PS: I think I heard feature freeze somewhere ;-) >> >>What do others think about including those features in 1.2 ? >>I think it would be a good addition. > > the boot option stuff is local to linuxrc, shouldn't introduce any unforseen > bugs anywhere else... OK let's say this is the last change. After this patch we release Beta 1 and from there only bugfixes. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2004-04-28 12:57:50
|
Looks like good changes to me. > OK let's say this is the last change. > After this patch we release Beta 1 and from there only bugfixes. I have one more package I'd like to add if there is still time. I've been looking at adding "mon" on the feature requests. My research shows it needs a bunch of perl modules we don't have, and I've never added a perl module to DL. Is anything required other than uploading the source of the module to the perl-ext subdirectory? - BS |