|
From: <hzu...@ra...> - 2004-04-12 16:24:39
|
On 04/12/2004 11:14:18 AM "William Gilmore" wrote: >All, > >Given that I don't have enough pain in my life :) , I am trying to >learn how to build Devil Linux yet again. I have had problems in the >past and the production code timeline caught up with my needs and I >haven't had to worry about this for some time. Now, I would like to be >able to run some scripts on my DL fireall that require some Perl >Modules not in the current build. So, I thought I would give building >a try again. But alas, like the last time, I am having problems. > >A word about my environment before I continue, I am trying to build DL >using a fully updated version of Fedora Core 1. I don't know if this >is a supported build environment or not. In searching the discussion >list, I can find no references to anyone using Fedora as a development >environment, but that is my Linux du jour at this point. > >I have downloaded the lfssystem 1.0+ as well as both the CVS current >sources and the 1.0.5 sources. Both have the same problem. When I >issue the make build, bison builds without error. However, when the >bison tests execute, all test starting with test 4 fail. Worse yet, >the testsuite continues until finally the testsuite is aborted by the >OS because it has exhausted all memory (512 MB Real with another 1024 >MB virtual). > >When I first had the problem with the CVS version, I thought that may >this was a bug in the current CVS code. So, I deleted everything and >decided I would get 1.0.5 working first. After update with 1.0.5, I >ran into the same problem. > >So almight Devil Linux Developers, please have pity on me and tell what >I need to do to fix this;) You are working inside the chroot, correct? Doesn't Fedora use some new fancy (kernel based?) security features? Heiko |
|
From: William G. <dl-...@gm...> - 2004-04-12 16:57:41
|
Yes, I am working within the chrott environment. There is no additional security that I am aware of on Fedora; but, I have only been working on it for about a month now and I may not have run into it. I have not had a problem building any other software on it. William -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From: dev...@li... on behalf of hzu...@ra... Sent: Mon 4/12/2004 10:21 AM To: dev...@li... Subject: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] Problems with Bison Test on Fedora Core 1 On 04/12/2004 11:14:18 AM "William Gilmore" wrote: >All, > >Given that I don't have enough pain in my life :) , I am trying to >learn how to build Devil Linux yet again. I have had problems in the >past and the production code timeline caught up with my needs and I >haven't had to worry about this for some time. Now, I would like to be >able to run some scripts on my DL fireall that require some Perl >Modules not in the current build. So, I thought I would give building >a try again. But alas, like the last time, I am having problems. > >A word about my environment before I continue, I am trying to build DL >using a fully updated version of Fedora Core 1. I don't know if this >is a supported build environment or not. In searching the discussion >list, I can find no references to anyone using Fedora as a development >environment, but that is my Linux du jour at this point. > >I have downloaded the lfssystem 1.0+ as well as both the CVS current >sources and the 1.0.5 sources. Both have the same problem. When I >issue the make build, bison builds without error. However, when the >bison tests execute, all test starting with test 4 fail. Worse yet, >the testsuite continues until finally the testsuite is aborted by the >OS because it has exhausted all memory (512 MB Real with another 1024 >MB virtual). > >When I first had the problem with the CVS version, I thought that may >this was a bug in the current CVS code. So, I deleted everything and >decided I would get 1.0.5 working first. After update with 1.0.5, I >ran into the same problem. > >So almight Devil Linux Developers, please have pity on me and tell what >I need to do to fix this;) You are working inside the chroot, correct? Doesn't Fedora use some new fancy (kernel based?) security features? Heiko ------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _______________________________________________ Devil-linux-develop mailing list Dev...@li... https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2004-04-12 17:21:08
|
> Yes, I am working within the chrott environment. And you downloaded the correct LFS system tarball? > There is no additional security that I am aware of on Fedora; but, I > have only been working on it for about a month now and I may not have > run into it. I have not had a problem building any other software on > it. I ran Fedora briefly before switching to SuSE 9.0 and I didn't have any problems compiling DL. - BS |
|
From: William G. <dl-...@gm...> - 2004-04-12 17:55:01
|
I am using ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/sources/lfssystem-for-DL-1.0_and_up/lfssystem-cvs-20030127-i486-stripped.tar.bz2 which to my knowledge is the right tarball. > Yes, I am working within the chrott environment. And you downloaded the correct LFS system tarball? > There is no additional security that I am aware of on Fedora; but, I > have only been working on it for about a month now and I may not have > run into it. I have not had a problem building any other software on > it. I ran Fedora briefly before switching to SuSE 9.0 and I didn't have any problems compiling DL. - BS ------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _______________________________________________ Devil-linux-develop mailing list Dev...@li... https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2004-04-12 18:10:57
|
> I am using ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/sources/lfssystem-for-DL-1.0_and_up/lfssystem-cvs-20030127-i486-stripped.tar.bz2 which to my knowledge is the right tarball. Yes, that appears to be the correct one. I ask because using the wrong version of the LFSsystem has been a problem in the past for some people. (including me when I first started with DL :) > > Yes, I am working within the chrott environment. > > And you downloaded the correct LFS system tarball? > > > There is no additional security that I am aware of on Fedora; but, I > > have only been working on it for about a month now and I may not have > > run into it. I have not had a problem building any other software on > > it. > > I ran Fedora briefly before switching to SuSE 9.0 and I didn't have any > problems compiling DL. |
|
From: <hzu...@ra...> - 2004-04-12 18:18:22
|
On 04/12/2004 02:07:49 PM "William Gilmore" wrote: >I am using >ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/sources/lfssystem-for-DL-1.0_and_up/ >lfssystem-cvs-20030127-i486-stripped.tar.bz2 which to my knowledge is >the right tarball. > Yes this is the right one. Did you select a higher CPU for the compilation then the one you have in your system? If yes, change to i486 for testing Did you select parallel builds ? If yes, then turn off Heiko |
|
From: William G. <dl-...@gm...> - 2004-04-12 18:31:36
|
I am using an AMD XP and tried initially with i686 but recieve the same error with i486. And no, I did not try parallel builds. >Did you select a higher CPU for the compilation then the one you have >in >your system? If yes, change to i486 for testing >Did you select parallel builds ? If yes, then turn off I did just boot this system from a knoppix-std live cd and received the same error with it. I am going to blow away the whole lfssystem and start from scratch using the knoppix-std this time and see if I can get it to work. I must be doing something silly! William |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-12 18:56:20
|
> I am using an AMD XP and tried initially with i686 but recieve the same > error with i486. And no, I did not try parallel builds. > >>Did you select a higher CPU for the compilation then the one you have >in >>your system? If yes, change to i486 for testing >>Did you select parallel builds ? If yes, then turn off > > I did just boot this system from a knoppix-std live cd and received the > same error with it. I am going to blow away the whole lfssystem and start > from scratch using the knoppix-std this time and see if I can get it to > work. I must be doing something silly! Knoppix.... there was a problem with that, but also a solution..... Check the mailinglist archives. What also could be is, you sometime find problems with your hardware when compiling DL, which didn't come up before. Do you overclock your system? Try default (slow) BIOS settings. Can you replace the RAM? Can you try it on another machine? Can you send me all your money? -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: William G. <dl-...@gm...> - 2004-04-12 22:52:37
|
Ok, I have made some headway. I tried to rm -rF the ./lfssystem directory; however, it couldn't be totally removed because of some permission in proc that I couldn't overcome. I mv the lfssystem lfssytem.old and then untarred the tarball. I then updates the cvs to 1-0-5, updated source, ran make menuconfig and save the config without adding anything optional. Make build is now well past bison. All of this was done with knoppix-std instead of fedora. Heiko mentioned that there was a trick to knoppix that he couldn't remember and suggested that I check the discussion group. I couldn't find anything there. The only thing that I notice is that lftp isn't built into knoppix. I built is specifying --path=./local at the same directory level as lfssystem. I then added ./local/bin to the PATH environment variable. This gave me a functional lftp and everything seems to be working fine. At this point, I don't know what caused the earlier problems. I will repeat this exercise later with Fedora. William ========================= I did just boot this system from a knoppix-std live cd and received the same error with it. I am going to blow away the whole lfssystem and start from scratch using the knoppix-std this time and see if I can get it to work. I must be doing something silly! William |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-04-12 23:15:04
|
William Gilmore wrote on 13.04.2004 01:06 MET: > Ok, I have made some headway. I tried to rm -rF the ./lfssystem directory; however, it couldn't be totally removed because of some permission in proc that I couldn't overcome. You have to unmount lfssystem/proc first! > I mv the lfssystem lfssytem.old and then untarred the tarball. I then updates the cvs to 1-0-5, updated source, ran make menuconfig and save the config without adding anything optional. Make build is now well past bison. > > All of this was done with knoppix-std instead of fedora. Heiko mentioned that there was a trick to knoppix that he couldn't remember and suggested that I check the discussion group. I couldn't find anything there. The only thing that I notice is that lftp isn't built into knoppix. I built is specifying --path=./local at the same directory level as lfssystem. I then added ./local/bin to the PATH environment variable. This gave me a functional lftp and everything seems to be working fine. If you copy /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf to lfssystem/etc and now you can run "update_src" from within the chrooted environment. So you don't need lftp in your "normal" system. > At this point, I don't know what caused the earlier problems. I will repeat this exercise later with Fedora. before your start with your experiment on Fedora please run script log-build-system-on-fedora ...<do what you need to do>... exit Now send me (possibly also Heiko and Bruce) the file log-build-system-on-fedora in a private mail. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2004-04-13 00:24:51
|
> > I tried to rm -rF the ./lfssystem directory; however, it couldn't > > be totally removed because of some permission in proc that I > > couldn't overcome. > > You have to unmount lfssystem/proc first! Or if you're forgetful (like me), inside the LFSsystem, in /root, create a file named ".bash_logout" and put the line "umount /proc" in the file. Heiko: IMO that would be a good addition to the standard LFS tarball. I also have a script that creates a fresh LFS for me, first moving the /root and /data directories before wiping the old system, and moving them back after untaring the new system. My standard procedure is: newlfs dl make mrproper && time make unpack prepare build install iso (not including cvs_sf update -d -P, update_src, make menuconfig, etc.) - BS |