|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-03-04 18:41:06
Attachments:
boot.diff
|
Hi,
this patch sets the new boot flow:
/sbin/pre_init -> exec init
/etc/init.d/boot
/etc/init.d/boot.d/S*
/etc/init.d/boot.local
init goes into runlevel 3
which is the way most other distros do it (apart from changes in names)
Notes:
- /etc/init.d/boot doesn't need to be called manually with the link in
cfg_runlevel any longer (and doesn't need "start" - it should always run),
because it's done by inittab
- boot.* can't be handled by insserv, because the author of insserv prohibits
that (probably to enforce to run boot.local as the last script before going
into the runlevel)
- insserv adds links in boot.d when you specify "B" as runlevel
(but /etc/init.d/rc doesn't understand that specifier)
I'll try to make some more changes, i.e. choosing runlevel on startup (for
maintenance, unless someone adds XFree ;-)...
Roland
PS: build-20040301.tar.bz2 contains empty config/etc/rc{1,3,S}.d
(not /etc/init.d/) directories, some script gone wild?
--
ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774
GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...>
|
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-03-04 19:19:34
|
Roland Pabel wrote on 04.03.2004 19:26 MET: > this patch sets the new boot flow: > > /sbin/pre_init -> exec init > /etc/init.d/boot > /etc/init.d/boot.d/S* > /etc/init.d/boot.local > init goes into runlevel 3 > > which is the way most other distros do it (apart from changes in names) Shouldn't we keep the names similar? Keeps the "I know that" factor alive. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-03-04 19:25:31
|
On Thursday 04 March 2004 20:05, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Roland Pabel wrote on 04.03.2004 19:26 MET: > > this patch sets the new boot flow: > > > > /sbin/pre_init -> exec init > > /etc/init.d/boot > > /etc/init.d/boot.d/S* > > /etc/init.d/boot.local > > init goes into runlevel 3 > > > > which is the way most other distros do it (apart from changes in names) > > Shouldn't we keep the names similar? Keeps the "I know that" factor alive. I haven't changed any names...redhat uses "rc.sysinit" instead of "boot", suse uses "boot" (since insserv is a suse thing, I'd let it stay this way)... Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-03-04 19:41:33
|
Roland Pabel wrote on 04.03.2004 20:11 MET: > On Thursday 04 March 2004 20:05, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > >>Roland Pabel wrote on 04.03.2004 19:26 MET: >> >>>... >>>which is the way most other distros do it (apart from changes in names) >> >>Shouldn't we keep the names similar? Keeps the "I know that" factor alive. > > I haven't changed any names...redhat uses "rc.sysinit" instead of "boot", suse > uses "boot" (since insserv is a suse thing, I'd let it stay this way)... Ok, then I somehow got you wrong here. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-03-04 19:36:39
|
> Hi,
> this patch sets the new boot flow:
>
> /sbin/pre_init -> exec init
> /etc/init.d/boot
> /etc/init.d/boot.d/S*
> /etc/init.d/boot.local
> init goes into runlevel 3
>
> which is the way most other distros do it (apart from changes in names)
> Notes:
> - /etc/init.d/boot doesn't need to be called manually with the link in
> cfg_runlevel any longer (and doesn't need "start" - it should always run),
> because it's done by inittab
great!
> - boot.* can't be handled by insserv, because the author of insserv
> prohibits
> that (probably to enforce to run boot.local as the last script before
> going
> into the runlevel)
> - insserv adds links in boot.d when you specify "B" as runlevel
> (but /etc/init.d/rc doesn't understand that specifier)
But you could add the functionality, or ? ;-)
Unfortunately we need to use our system in a way, that insserv will work
with it.
> I'll try to make some more changes, i.e. choosing runlevel on startup (for
> maintenance, unless someone adds XFree ;-)...
That's good!
I don't know how often I already needed a boot into runlevel 1. But I
always forgett to add it to the boot menu.
> Roland
> PS: build-20040301.tar.bz2 contains empty config/etc/rc{1,3,S}.d
> (not /etc/init.d/) directories, some script gone wild?
Hmmm.....
No idea.
--
Regards
Heiko Zuerker
http://www.devil-linux.org
|
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-03-04 21:03:17
|
On Thursday 04 March 2004 20:09, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > Hi, [...] > > - insserv adds links in boot.d when you specify "B" as runlevel > > (but /etc/init.d/rc doesn't understand that specifier) > > But you could add the functionality, or ? ;-) > Unfortunately we need to use our system in a way, that insserv will work > with it. well, insserv works, it knows about boot.d. It's the legacy /etc/init.d/rc file that doesn't know about it. But that shouldn't be a problem, because 'rc' is used to switch betweeen runlevels, but the boot.d/ scripts are not part of any specific runlevel (and you shouldn't be able to switch to a runlevel B). What is that functionality you need there? > > I'll try to make some more changes, i.e. choosing runlevel on startup > > (for maintenance, unless someone adds XFree ;-)... > > That's good! > I don't know how often I already needed a boot into runlevel 1. But I > always forgett to add it to the boot menu. I thought about this at the gym, I think I can easily code that in /sbin/pre_init, when I can manually change inittab (replacing the default runlevel with sed and grep) before starting init. That's under the assumption, that once init runs, there is no point to doing that (otherwise, that could be done in a boot.d/ script before entering the runlevel) Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |