On 03/02/2004 05:48:35 PM Roland Pabel wrote:
>On Monday 01 March 2004 03:47, Heiko Zuerker wrote:
>> Roland Pabel wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I finally understood the flow of scripts when the system boots.
>Scripts
>> > in boot.d/ are never called (what puzzled me at first, because I'm
>used
>> > to them being called at some point in other distros - before rcX.d
>> > scripts are called, in SuSE). I don't know why you chose rcS.d as
>the
>> > place for system startup scripts, other distros use it for Single
>user
>> > mode and boot.d exactly for that job...maybe the DL-way is even the
>right
>> > way(tm), couldn't find info...
>>
>> I don't even remember why I did it this way, but I have no problem
>doing
>> it the same way as the others. If you want you can correct it and send
>> us the patch.
>I think I know now why rcS.d is a good choice : LSB doesn't specify what
>runlevel S is for (and suse,redhat and debian use it differently), but
>insserv says it's used for booting directly into Single-User. Switching
>to
>single-user from another runlevel should be going into runlevel 1...
>Since you can't boot into S with the current isolinux config, it's
>virtually
>free.
>> > But anyways, could we have boot.d/* called, either by the end
>> > of /etc/init.d/boot or by inittab entry
>> > "si::bootwait:/etc/init.d/boot.rc"? Roland
>>
>> I think the best approach would be correcting the scripts to use
>boot.d
>> instead of rcS.d and then you can just "plug-in" your stuff.
>Unless you want to support runlevel S the way Suse uses it, I don't see
>any
>reason to 'correct' it (I'd go with 'Never change a running system').
>The boot.d/ scripts can simply be enabled additionally...
>Roland
You're right.
But it probably makes sense to do it the same way as the other distros, so
it's easier for our users.
Heiko
|