On Monday 01 March 2004 03:47, Heiko Zuerker wrote:
> Roland Pabel wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I finally understood the flow of scripts when the system boots. Scripts
> > in boot.d/ are never called (what puzzled me at first, because I'm used
> > to them being called at some point in other distros - before rcX.d
> > scripts are called, in SuSE). I don't know why you chose rcS.d as the
> > place for system startup scripts, other distros use it for Single user
> > mode and boot.d exactly for that job...maybe the DL-way is even the right
> > way(tm), couldn't find info...
>
> I don't even remember why I did it this way, but I have no problem doing
> it the same way as the others. If you want you can correct it and send
> us the patch.
I think I know now why rcS.d is a good choice : LSB doesn't specify what
runlevel S is for (and suse,redhat and debian use it differently), but
insserv says it's used for booting directly into Single-User. Switching to
single-user from another runlevel should be going into runlevel 1...
Since you can't boot into S with the current isolinux config, it's virtually
free.
> > But anyways, could we have boot.d/* called, either by the end
> > of /etc/init.d/boot or by inittab entry
> > "si::bootwait:/etc/init.d/boot.rc"? Roland
>
> I think the best approach would be correcting the scripts to use boot.d
> instead of rcS.d and then you can just "plug-in" your stuff.
Unless you want to support runlevel S the way Suse uses it, I don't see any
reason to 'correct' it (I'd go with 'Never change a running system').
The boot.d/ scripts can simply be enabled additionally...
Roland
--
ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774
GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...>
|