|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-30 21:14:24
|
The kernel module for CIPE is saying it has unresolved symbols when a "depmod" is run. I checked and we have the latest version of CIPE. Could this be because of one of the new security libs installed? I tried the "-fno-stack-protector" CFLAGS, which get rid of some of the unresolved symbols, but not all of them. Other ideas? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 01:16:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >The kernel module for CIPE is saying it has unresolved symbols when a >"depmod" is run. I checked and we have the latest version of CIPE. > >Could this be because of one of the new security libs installed? >I tried the "-fno-stack-protector" CFLAGS, which get rid of some >of the unresolved symbols, but not all of them. Other ideas? > > It should work, because the kernel has now all the required symbols. Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 01:26:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >The kernel module for CIPE is saying it has unresolved symbols when a >"depmod" is run. I checked and we have the latest version of CIPE. > >Could this be because of one of the new security libs installed? >I tried the "-fno-stack-protector" CFLAGS, which get rid of some >of the unresolved symbols, but not all of them. Other ideas? > > There are more problems with all the new security stuff, "sagator" doesn't work properly anymore. I'm investigating what's going on, it just takes forever to test..... Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 02:36:16
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: > >> The kernel module for CIPE is saying it has unresolved symbols when a >> "depmod" is run. I checked and we have the latest version of CIPE. >> >> Could this be because of one of the new security libs installed? >> I tried the "-fno-stack-protector" CFLAGS, which get rid of some of >> the unresolved symbols, but not all of them. Other ideas? >> >> > There are more problems with all the new security stuff, "sagator" > doesn't work properly anymore. > > I'm investigating what's going on, it just takes forever to test..... The sagator problem is solved. I start a new compile tonight, so we can see what's going on with cipe. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 14:20:19
|
> > There are more problems with all the new security stuff, "sagator" > > doesn't work properly anymore. > > > > I'm investigating what's going on, it just takes forever to test..... > > The sagator problem is solved. > I start a new compile tonight, so we can see what's going on with cipe. I ran my own compile last night. mrproper, new lfssystem. I turned OFF _all_ of the security options under: Build-Configuration -> Security Now to see if the cipe module (cipcb0.o) loads.... Well, I never got that far. Kernel crash upon boot! Starting up final system... /bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 15:50:32
|
> I ran my own compile last night. mrproper, new lfssystem. I turned OFF > _all_ of the security options under: Build-Configuration -> Security > > Starting up final system... > /bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! OK, I ran a build/install on libsafe manually and rebuilt the ISO. The system now boots. If libsafe isn't optional, we should remove it from menuconfig (or really make it optional). BTW, CIPE still has unresolved symbols in it's module. (all security stuff turned off, except libsafe) I'm also getting an error on hotplug (with or w/o the security stuff): Starting hotplug modules [ OK ] *** can't synthesize input events - /proc/bus/input/devices missing |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 16:06:15
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>I ran my own compile last night. mrproper, new lfssystem. I turned OFF >>_all_ of the security options under: Build-Configuration -> Security >> >>Starting up final system... >>/bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: >>cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory >>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! >> >> > >OK, I ran a build/install on libsafe manually and rebuilt the ISO. >The system now boots. If libsafe isn't optional, we should remove it >from menuconfig (or really make it optional). > It is optional. You probably just had the ld.so.preload on the migrated configuraiton. >BTW, CIPE still has unresolved symbols in it's module. (all security >stuff turned off, except libsafe) > Yes I just mentioned that. I think I found the problem, test compile is running. >I'm also getting an error on hotplug (with or w/o the security stuff): > >Starting hotplug modules [ OK ] >*** can't synthesize input events - /proc/bus/input/devices missing > > That is OK. I had to switch to the hotplug CVS version and need to add some more stuff to our patch for hotplug. Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 16:36:15
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: > >>> I ran my own compile last night. mrproper, new lfssystem. I turned >>> OFF >>> _all_ of the security options under: Build-Configuration -> Security >>> >>> Starting up final system... >>> /bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: >>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory >>> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! >>> >> >> >> OK, I ran a build/install on libsafe manually and rebuilt the ISO. >> The system now boots. If libsafe isn't optional, we should remove it >> from menuconfig (or really make it optional). >> > It is optional. > You probably just had the ld.so.preload on the migrated configuraiton. > >> BTW, CIPE still has unresolved symbols in it's module. (all security >> stuff turned off, except libsafe) >> > Yes I just mentioned that. > I think I found the problem, test compile is running. There seem to be 2 problems, the first one is solved: you (Bruce) defined CFLAGS in the build script, in order to turn SSP off. Messing around with CFLAGS, you have to be carefull. In the older version we modified KCC to "gcc -fno-stack-protector" Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 17:06:19
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Bruce Smith wrote: >> >>>> I ran my own compile last night. mrproper, new lfssystem. I >>>> turned OFF >>>> _all_ of the security options under: Build-Configuration -> Security >>>> >>>> Starting up final system... >>>> /bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: >>>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory >>>> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> OK, I ran a build/install on libsafe manually and rebuilt the ISO. >>> The system now boots. If libsafe isn't optional, we should remove it >>> from menuconfig (or really make it optional). >>> >> It is optional. >> You probably just had the ld.so.preload on the migrated configuraiton. >> >>> BTW, CIPE still has unresolved symbols in it's module. (all security >>> stuff turned off, except libsafe) >>> >> Yes I just mentioned that. >> I think I found the problem, test compile is running. > > > > There seem to be 2 problems, the first one is solved: > you (Bruce) defined CFLAGS in the build script, in order to turn SSP off. > Messing around with CFLAGS, you have to be carefull. In the older > version we modified KCC to "gcc -fno-stack-protector" It's OK in CVS now. I had to disable the compilation of ET_DYN for cipe. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 19:02:25
|
> I had to disable the compilation of ET_DYN for cipe. OK, I recompiled it on my system with all security turned off. Now when I modprobe cipcb0, I get: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000074 <followed by a big register dump> Segmentation fault At least there are no longer any undefined symbols! ;-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 19:36:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>I had to disable the compilation of ET_DYN for cipe. >> >> > >OK, I recompiled it on my system with all security turned off. >Now when I modprobe cipcb0, I get: > >Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000074 ><followed by a big register dump> >Segmentation fault > >At least there are no longer any undefined symbols! ;-) > > Did you update from CVS ? Are there any lines left, with CFLAGS ? If yes, remove 'em. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 19:39:44
|
> >OK, I recompiled it on my system with all security turned off. > >Now when I modprobe cipcb0, I get: > > > >Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000074 > ><followed by a big register dump> > >Segmentation fault > > > >At least there are no longer any undefined symbols! ;-) > > > Did you update from CVS ? Of course! :-) > Are there any lines left, with CFLAGS ? If yes, remove 'em. Nope. I simply removed the tmp/cipe* directory, untared it again, removed the tmp/.done*cipe* files, ran scripts/build.sh build opt=cipe and then ran: make clean install iso - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 19:51:25
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>OK, I recompiled it on my system with all security turned off. >>>Now when I modprobe cipcb0, I get: >>> >>>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000074 >>><followed by a big register dump> >>>Segmentation fault >>> >>>At least there are no longer any undefined symbols! ;-) >>> >>> >>> >>Did you update from CVS ? >> >> > >Of course! :-) > > > >>Are there any lines left, with CFLAGS ? If yes, remove 'em. >> >> > >Nope. I simply removed the tmp/cipe* directory, untared it again, >removed the tmp/.done*cipe* files, ran scripts/build.sh build opt=cipe >and then ran: make clean install iso > > I can't try it right now, but you can: add the line "disable_et_dyn" before any configure or make parts in the cipe script and let it recompile. Let's see what happens then. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 20:08:08
|
> >>>Now when I modprobe cipcb0, I get: > >>> > >>>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000074 > >>><followed by a big register dump> > >>>Segmentation fault > >>> > >>>At least there are no longer any undefined symbols! ;-) > >>> > >>Did you update from CVS ? > > > >Of course! :-) > > > >>Are there any lines left, with CFLAGS ? If yes, remove 'em. > > > >Nope. I simply removed the tmp/cipe* directory, untared it again, > >removed the tmp/.done*cipe* files, ran scripts/build.sh build opt=cipe > >and then ran: make clean install iso > > > I can't try it right now, but you can: > add the line "disable_et_dyn" before any configure or make parts in the > cipe script and let it recompile. > > Let's see what happens then. It already had the line before the ./configure, so I added another before the make, and another one in the install section. No difference. I'll try it with a clean lfssystem & mrproper later. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 20:26:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>>Now when I modprobe cipcb0, I get: >>>>> >>>>>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000074 >>>>><followed by a big register dump> >>>>>Segmentation fault >>>>> >>>>>At least there are no longer any undefined symbols! ;-) >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>Did you update from CVS ? >>>> >>>> >>>Of course! :-) >>> >>> >>> >>>>Are there any lines left, with CFLAGS ? If yes, remove 'em. >>>> >>>> >>>Nope. I simply removed the tmp/cipe* directory, untared it again, >>>removed the tmp/.done*cipe* files, ran scripts/build.sh build opt=cipe >>>and then ran: make clean install iso >>> >>> >>> >>I can't try it right now, but you can: >>add the line "disable_et_dyn" before any configure or make parts in the >>cipe script and let it recompile. >> >>Let's see what happens then. >> >> > >It already had the line before the ./configure, so I added another >before the make, and another one in the install section. No difference. > >I'll try it with a clean lfssystem & mrproper later. > > It is necessary only once per script. This command, you find it in build/scripts/functions, actually does nothing else then replacing the gcc specs file. Before each script execution, the file is replaced by the default one ( enable_et_dyn ). Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 17:11:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >Starting hotplug modules [ OK ] >*** can't synthesize input events - /proc/bus/input/devices missing > > Solved, too. The updated patch is on the FTP server. Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 15:46:23
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>There are more problems with all the new security stuff, "sagator" >>>doesn't work properly anymore. >>> >>>I'm investigating what's going on, it just takes forever to test..... >>> >>> >>The sagator problem is solved. >>I start a new compile tonight, so we can see what's going on with cipe. >> >> > >I ran my own compile last night. mrproper, new lfssystem. I turned OFF >_all_ of the security options under: Build-Configuration -> Security > >Now to see if the cipe module (cipcb0.o) loads.... >Well, I never got that far. Kernel crash upon boot! > >Starting up final system... >/bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: >cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory >Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! > > This is defined in the file /etc/ld.so.preload . Did you migrate this one from an old config? Delete the file and then it works. ;-) cu Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 15:56:15
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: > >>>> There are more problems with all the new security stuff, "sagator" >>>> doesn't work properly anymore. >>>> >>>> I'm investigating what's going on, it just takes forever to test..... >>>> >>> >>> The sagator problem is solved. >>> I start a new compile tonight, so we can see what's going on with cipe. >>> >> Cipe has unresolved symbols again... I'll go ahead an re-disable SSP for it, but strangely the missing symbols have nothing todo with __guard...... Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 15:56:20
|
> >Starting up final system... > >/bin/chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsafe.so.2: > >cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory > >Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! > > > > > This is defined in the file /etc/ld.so.preload . > Did you migrate this one from an old config? I didn't get to the migrate part. It does the chroot before upgrade-config. I guess I'll have to nuke the entire config. > Delete the file and then it works. ;-) I'll have to take your word for that, since I added libsafe. :-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-01-01 00:00:16
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >The kernel module for CIPE is saying it has unresolved symbols when a >"depmod" is run. I checked and we have the latest version of CIPE. > >Could this be because of one of the new security libs installed? >I tried the "-fno-stack-protector" CFLAGS, which get rid of some >of the unresolved symbols, but not all of them. Other ideas? > > I most likely just found the real problem with cipe. All additional modules need to be compiled *after* the kernel, this was not the case with cipe and the prism54 driver. Both showed the same missing symbols. I updated it in CVS and a new test compile is running right now. Tomorrow we'll see if it works (depending on my hangover) ;-) Heiko |