|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-22 21:00:10
|
I just downloaded devil-linux-1.1.1-2003-12-21-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 (since I didn't have a recent compile of my own at work), and installed it on a new box. It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were there. After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on /dev/sda1. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-22 21:36:24
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >I just downloaded devil-linux-1.1.1-2003-12-21-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 (since I >didn't have a recent compile of my own at work), and installed it on a >new box. > >It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it >booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back >up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I >also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were there. >After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that >the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard >drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on >/dev/sda1. > > I would say this is not a bug. The script checks the root directories of all "harddisks" and cdroms for etc.tar.bz2. save-config is not yet modified to use the devfs, so the search doesn't include IDE "harddisks" yet. "harddisks" means any devices which are or emulate harddisks (usb sticks, cf cards) Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-22 21:41:14
|
> >It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it > >booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back > >up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I > >also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were there. > >After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that > >the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard > >drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on > >/dev/sda1. > > > > > I would say this is not a bug. > > The script checks the root directories of all "harddisks" and cdroms for > etc.tar.bz2. > save-config is not yet modified to use the devfs, so the search doesn't > include IDE "harddisks" yet. > > "harddisks" means any devices which are or emulate harddisks (usb > sticks, cf cards) Shouldn't it search USB (scsi) before IDE? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-22 22:01:16
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it >>>booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back >>>up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I >>>also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were there. >>>After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that >>>the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard >>>drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on >>>/dev/sda1. >>> >>> >>> >>> >>I would say this is not a bug. >> >>The script checks the root directories of all "harddisks" and cdroms for >>etc.tar.bz2. >>save-config is not yet modified to use the devfs, so the search doesn't >>include IDE "harddisks" yet. >> >>"harddisks" means any devices which are or emulate harddisks (usb >>sticks, cf cards) >> >> > >Shouldn't it search USB (scsi) before IDE? > > Yeah why not. You can change it if you want. Heiko |
|
From: Tim T. <t....@co...> - 2003-12-23 04:58:06
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >I just downloaded devil-linux-1.1.1-2003-12-21-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 (since I >didn't have a recent compile of my own at work), and installed it on a >new box. > >It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it >booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back >up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I >also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were there. >After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that >the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard >drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on >/dev/sda1. > > - BS > > I confused, why doesn't it write back to the same place it found it on boot? AIR, the location is saved into a environment variable. Can't that be preserved somehow and used in save-config? Tim |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-23 14:26:16
|
Tim Tait wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: > >> I just downloaded devil-linux-1.1.1-2003-12-21-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 (since I >> didn't have a recent compile of my own at work), and installed it on a >> new box. >> >> It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it >> booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back >> up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I >> also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were there. >> After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that >> the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard >> drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on >> /dev/sda1. >> >> - BS >> >> > I confused, why doesn't it write back to the same place it found it on > boot? AIR, the location is saved into a environment variable. Can't > that be preserved somehow and used in save-config? The reason is easy: initrd is already updated to use devfs and save-config is old (out-dated). I still have to copy the specific part over to the save-config script. We could store the config location somewhere in the system and re-use it for save-config, but we would loose the flexibility of switching config devices while the system is up. Any more thoughts/opinions about this ? Heiko |
|
From: Emmanuel E. <ee...@fr...> - 2003-12-23 14:54:37
|
hi, Heiko Zuerker a =E9crit: > Tim Tait wrote: >=20 >> Bruce Smith wrote: >> >>> I just downloaded devil-linux-1.1.1-2003-12-21-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 (sinc= e I >>> didn't have a recent compile of my own at work), and installed it on = a >>> new box. >>> >>> It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it >>> booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back >>> up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. = I >>> also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were the= re. >>> After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out tha= t >>> the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard >>> drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on >>> /dev/sda1. >>> >>> - BS >>> =20 >>> >> I confused, why doesn't it write back to the same place it found it on= =20 >> boot? AIR, the location is saved into a environment variable. Can't=20 >> that be preserved somehow and used in save-config? >=20 >=20 > The reason is easy: initrd is already updated to use devfs and=20 > save-config is old (out-dated). > I still have to copy the specific part over to the save-config script. >=20 > We could store the config location somewhere in the system and re-use i= t=20 > for save-config, but we would loose the flexibility of switching config= =20 > devices while the system is up. > Any more thoughts/opinions about this ? Yes, add a parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config for the save-config device=20 to use ... >=20 > Heiko >=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > ------------------------------------------------------- > This SF.net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials. > Become an expert in LINUX or just sharpen your skills. Sign up for IBM= 's > Free Linux Tutorials. Learn everything from the bash shell to sys admi= n. > Click now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=3D1278&alloc_id=3D3371&op=3Dclick > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop >=20 >=20 |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-23 15:56:16
|
Emmanuel ESCARABAJAL wrote: > hi, > > Heiko Zuerker a écrit: > >> Tim Tait wrote: >> >>> Bruce Smith wrote: >>> >>>> I just downloaded devil-linux-1.1.1-2003-12-21-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 >>>> (since I >>>> didn't have a recent compile of my own at work), and installed it on a >>>> new box. >>>> >>>> It booted up, ask me to copy a blank config to media (I said "y"), it >>>> booted, I setup the box, ran save-config, and rebooted. It came back >>>> up, and I noticed that I didn't have a root password, which was set. I >>>> also noticed my network wasn't setup, and NONE of my changes were >>>> there. >>>> After repeating the process a couple times, I finally figured out that >>>> the boot process was creating and reading my config on a local hard >>>> drive (ext3 /dev/hda2), and save-config was saving to my USB stick on >>>> /dev/sda1. >>>> >>>> - BS >>>> >>>> >>> I confused, why doesn't it write back to the same place it found it >>> on boot? AIR, the location is saved into a environment variable. >>> Can't that be preserved somehow and used in save-config? >> >> >> >> The reason is easy: initrd is already updated to use devfs and >> save-config is old (out-dated). >> I still have to copy the specific part over to the save-config script. >> >> We could store the config location somewhere in the system and re-use >> it for save-config, but we would loose the flexibility of switching >> config devices while the system is up. >> Any more thoughts/opinions about this ? > > > Yes, add a parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config for the save-config > device to use ... I was more thinking about saving which devices we found in the initrd and re-using this. But I like you idea almost better. We could make the parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config optional: not defined: our script searches for the device defined: our script uses this device and fails if not present Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-23 16:10:54
|
> >> We could store the config location somewhere in the system and re-use > >> it for save-config, but we would loose the flexibility of switching > >> config devices while the system is up. > >> Any more thoughts/opinions about this ? > > > > Yes, add a parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config for the save-config > > device to use ... > > I was more thinking about saving which devices we found in the initrd > and re-using this. > > But I like you idea almost better. > We could make the parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config optional: > not defined: our script searches for the device > defined: our script uses this device and fails if not present Is it possible for the bootup to use the same parameter? I'm thinking it's NOT possible, and if not, what's the point? The boot should use the same location that save-config uses. As long as they both have the same code, I'd think that would be the most consistent way to do things. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-23 16:21:23
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>We could store the config location somewhere in the system and re-use >>>>it for save-config, but we would loose the flexibility of switching >>>>config devices while the system is up. >>>>Any more thoughts/opinions about this ? >>>> >>>> >>>Yes, add a parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config for the save-config >>>device to use ... >>> >>> >>I was more thinking about saving which devices we found in the initrd >>and re-using this. >> >>But I like you idea almost better. >>We could make the parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config optional: >> not defined: our script searches for the device >> defined: our script uses this device and fails if not present >> >> > >Is it possible for the bootup to use the same parameter? >I'm thinking it's NOT possible, and if not, what's the point? > No it is not possible, because we need to load the config first, before we now the value of this parameter. >The boot should use the same location that save-config uses. >As long as they both have the same code, I'd think that would be >the most consistent way to do things. > > > Good point. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-23 16:30:53
|
> >>We could make the parameter in /etc/sysconfig/config optional: > >> not defined: our script searches for the device > >> defined: our script uses this device and fails if not present > > > >Is it possible for the bootup to use the same parameter? > >I'm thinking it's NOT possible, and if not, what's the point? > > > No it is not possible, because we need to load the config first, before > we now the value of this parameter. Yeah, that's what I thought. > >The boot should use the same location that save-config uses. > >As long as they both have the same code, I'd think that would be > >the most consistent way to do things. > > > Good point. Yeah, I think we should leave it so both use the same code. It starts getting really confusing when save-config goes to a different place than the boot process uses. (believe me, I know :) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-23 16:41:21
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>The boot should use the same location that save-config uses. >>>As long as they both have the same code, I'd think that would be >>>the most consistent way to do things. >>> >>> >>> >>Good point. >> >> > >Yeah, I think we should leave it so both use the same code. It starts >getting really confusing when save-config goes to a different place than >the boot process uses. (believe me, I know :) > > Yeah that one is fixed. ;-) But I agree, we leave it as it is. Heiko |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-23 17:28:12
|
On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:30:51AM -0500, Bruce Smith wrote: > Yeah, I think we should leave it so both use the same code. It starts > getting really confusing when save-config goes to a different place than > the boot process uses. (believe me, I know :) btw, where is the install-usb looking for the etc.tar.bz2 that will go on the usb stick? i want to change the default etc.tar.bz2 with one of my own (the one i'm always using) and don't like the idea of scp/ssh it once the system is booted. and also, if i ignore/timeout the script that asks to "update" the config stuff after a version change, and i issue a save-config... why the script asks me the next time i boot up if i want to update the config? it sounds better to me the idea of a save-config script that updates the version stored on the /etc file. -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-24 00:06:18
|
Diego Torres wrote: >On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:30:51AM -0500, Bruce Smith wrote: > > > >>Yeah, I think we should leave it so both use the same code. It starts >>getting really confusing when save-config goes to a different place than >>the boot process uses. (believe me, I know :) >> >> > >btw, where is the install-usb looking for the etc.tar.bz2 that will go on the usb stick? > It doesn't, it only copies the stuff from the CD in order to boot. >i want to change the default etc.tar.bz2 with one of my own (the one i'm always using) and don't like the idea of scp/ssh it once the system is booted. > Replace the file in the folder /config on the CD. >and also, if i ignore/timeout the script that asks to "update" the config stuff after a version change, and i issue a save-config... why the script asks me the next time i boot up if i want to update the config? > >it sounds better to me the idea of a save-config script that updates the version stored on the /etc file. > We do that on purpose, since you could cause to much problems ( and support for us ) by using out-dated scripts/configs. Heiko |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-24 01:31:27
|
On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:03:12PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >and also, if i ignore/timeout the script that asks to "update" the config > >stuff after a version change, and i issue a save-config... why the script > >asks me the next time i boot up if i want to update the config? > > > >it sounds better to me the idea of a save-config script that updates the > >version stored on the /etc file. > > > We do that on purpose, since you could cause to much problems ( and > support for us ) by using out-dated scripts/configs. time for a save-config --force-update-version switch ? :) -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-24 01:46:20
|
Diego Torres wrote: >On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:03:12PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > > >>>and also, if i ignore/timeout the script that asks to "update" the config >>>stuff after a version change, and i issue a save-config... why the script >>>asks me the next time i boot up if i want to update the config? >>> >>>it sounds better to me the idea of a save-config script that updates the >>>version stored on the /etc file. >>> >>> >>> >>We do that on purpose, since you could cause to much problems ( and >>support for us ) by using out-dated scripts/configs. >> >> > >time for a save-config --force-update-version switch ? :) > > > With a "on you on risk and don't even bother and try to get support for this" message ? Then yes, go ahead and do it. Heiko |