|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-11-02 17:15:26
|
Dear mailing list, I've been looking for something other than USB for a machine which won't boot from USB flash. So I started browsing around for ATA flash. I've never seen one before and don't really know anything about them. It appears from what I've seen on web sites that ATA flash has a PCMCIA interface??? I want to put this in a tower, not a laptop. What am I missing here? Do I need a PCMCIA PCI adapter in my tower or something? Are there other ATA flash cards that plug into a 40 pin IDE controller? signed - confused in Kalamazoo ... :-) |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-11-02 17:53:05
|
On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 12:14:22PM -0500, Bruce Smith wrote: > missing here? Do I need a PCMCIA PCI adapter in my tower or something? > Are there other ATA flash cards that plug into a 40 pin IDE controller? i've one of those things. a compactflash to pcmcia adapter and a pcmcia to pci interface. to the system is like another hard disk (even for linux). but if you're using compactflash cards as storage support, you should remember how delicate they're. -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-11-02 18:01:27
|
Bruce Smith wrote:
>Dear mailing list,
>
Dear confused in Kalamazoo,
>I've been looking for something other than USB for a machine which won't
>boot from USB flash. So I started browsing around for ATA flash. I've
>never seen one before and don't really know anything about them.
>
You can't know everything. ;-)
The problem is, I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you....
>It appears from what I've seen on web sites that ATA flash has a PCMCIA
>interface??? I want to put this in a tower, not a laptop. What am I
>missing here? Do I need a PCMCIA PCI adapter in my tower or something?
>Are there other ATA flash cards that plug into a 40 pin IDE controller?
>
>
So far I saw 3 types:
1) Card reader for the IDE bus, they seem to act as harddisks
2) Card reader for PCMCIA, I don't know how they behave, but I guess
it's the same.
3) Card reader for USB, ok everybody knows those. But there seem to be
differences, at least the one I have doesn't work well under Linux.
You need a special driver, which is always outdated. But I saw a
couple of 6in1 readers (and those types), which seem to work fine (at
least that's what they write).
I'm still hoping for a sponsor, who's paying the different readers and a
big enough CF card, so we can include this functionality.
cya
Heiko
|
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-11-02 20:04:16
|
> So far I saw 3 types: > 1) Card reader for the IDE bus, they seem to act as harddisks What driver under Linux? Do the drives show up as /dev/hdxx or /dev/sdxx ? > 2) Card reader for PCMCIA, I don't know how they behave, but I guess > it's the same. I don't like the thought of running the PCMCIA drivers on a server. > 3) Card reader for USB, ok everybody knows those. But there seem to be > differences, at least the one I have doesn't work well under Linux. Yes, I have one of those to read smartmedia card (digital camera). The one I has seems to work exactly like a USB flash drive. > You need a special driver, which is always outdated. But I saw a > couple of 6in1 readers (and those types), which seem to work fine (at > least that's what they write). The one I have uses the standard usb-storage driver, just like flash. > I'm still hoping for a sponsor, who's paying the different readers and a > big enough CF card, so we can include this functionality. If you can tell me what to buy, I can get my employer to spring for one for our proxy server. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-11-02 21:26:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>So far I saw 3 types: >>1) Card reader for the IDE bus, they seem to act as harddisks >> >> > >What driver under Linux? >Do the drives show up as /dev/hdxx or /dev/sdxx ? > I don't know, I would think they show up as /dev/hdxx . >>2) Card reader for PCMCIA, I don't know how they behave, but I guess >>it's the same. >> >> > >I don't like the thought of running the PCMCIA drivers on a server. > > I agree. >>3) Card reader for USB, ok everybody knows those. But there seem to be >>differences, at least the one I have doesn't work well under Linux. >> >> > >Yes, I have one of those to read smartmedia card (digital camera). >The one I has seems to work exactly like a USB flash drive. > > > >> You need a special driver, which is always outdated. But I saw a >>couple of 6in1 readers (and those types), which seem to work fine (at >>least that's what they write). >> >> > >The one I have uses the standard usb-storage driver, just like flash. > > That's the way it should be. >>I'm still hoping for a sponsor, who's paying the different readers and a >>big enough CF card, so we can include this functionality. >> >> > >If you can tell me what to buy, I can get my employer to spring for one >for our proxy server. > > I can't tell you, but what I had in my mind are 2 things: 1) improve the USB boot stuff by using a 6in1 USB card reader and CF or other cards 2) use an IDE CF card reader for the OS and the configuration cya Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-11-02 18:05:16
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >Dear mailing list, > >I've been looking for something other than USB for a machine which won't >boot from USB flash. So I started browsing around for ATA flash. I've >never seen one before and don't really know anything about them. > >It appears from what I've seen on web sites that ATA flash has a PCMCIA >interface??? I want to put this in a tower, not a laptop. What am I >missing here? Do I need a PCMCIA PCI adapter in my tower or something? >Are there other ATA flash cards that plug into a 40 pin IDE controller? > > Another thing: A major problem is using/finding cards which have a write protect switch. When I recall it correctly, the secure-something cards have one. Heiko |