|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-09 13:58:33
|
On 09/09/2003 09:39:27 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> You need to do a "make dist" and then will find the script >> "install-on-usb" in the dist folder. Just execute it and >> follow the instructions. > >The script asks if you want to partition the media. >What partitions are required? one "linux" partition doesn't the script tell you this? ;-) >What size USB memory stick is required? ISO size + few MB. So right now a 512 MB for a full install. >Big enough to hold the entire bootcd.iso? Yes. I did the following for the testing: mv .config .config.old make menuconfig (only select the stuff you really need) make clean install iso then you have to copy the file bootcd.iso over into the dist directory = and run the script. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-09 17:08:05
|
On 09/09/2003 10:50:31 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> You need to do a "make dist" and then will find the script >> "install-on-usb" in the dist folder. Just execute it and follow the >> instructions. > >OK, I ran it (after backing up my SCSI hard drive :) > >tune2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002) >Setting maximal mount count to -1 >copying files... >cp: cannot stat `/boot/boot.b': No such file or directory >syncing and unmounting (this could take a while) ># > >I suspose I need lilo installed too? (lilo sucks, I use grub! :) copy the file from the lilo directory in our build system (tmp/lilo*/ )= You need the files boot.b and mbr.b in /boot Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-09 19:28:03
|
> >cp: cannot stat `/boot/boot.b': No such file or directory > >syncing and unmounting (this could take a while) > ># > > > >I suspose I need lilo installed too? (lilo sucks, I use grub! :) > > copy the file from the lilo directory in our build system (tmp/lilo*/ ) > You need the files boot.b and mbr.b in /boot OK, I installed the Redhat 9 lilo RPM and copied it's boot.b. (because I couldn't find it in the tmp/lilo* directory) I copied mbr.b from the tmp/lilo* directory. (because it doesn't exist in Redhat 9) I ran the lilo command from the tmp/lilo* directory because the Redhat lilo binary doesn't support the "-M" option. (sounding pretty cobbled up by now :) And .... it booted!!! :-) I got a few misc. errors, but nothing that sounded too serious. It came up, I logged in, ran setup, ... everything seemed to work. (except my NIC module (3c2000) doesn't exist in DL - not surprised) Anything specific you want me to try? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-09 20:01:10
|
On 09/09/2003 03:28:01 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >cp: cannot stat `/boot/boot.b': No such file or directory >> >syncing and unmounting (this could take a while) >> ># >> > >> >I suspose I need lilo installed too? (lilo sucks, I use grub! :) >> >> copy the file from the lilo directory in our build system (tmp/lilo*= / >) >> You need the files boot.b and mbr.b in /boot > >OK, I installed the Redhat 9 lilo RPM and copied it's boot.b. >(because I couldn't find it in the tmp/lilo* directory) > >I copied mbr.b from the tmp/lilo* directory. >(because it doesn't exist in Redhat 9) hmmmm >I ran the lilo command from the tmp/lilo* directory because >the Redhat lilo binary doesn't support the "-M" option. crap, but we could remove it >(sounding pretty cobbled up by now :) > >And .... it booted!!! :-) COOOOL ! >I got a few misc. errors, but nothing that sounded too serious. >It came up, I logged in, ran setup, ... everything seemed to work. >(except my NIC module (3c2000) doesn't exist in DL - not surprised) > >Anything specific you want me to try? Do a save-config and reboot a few times. I had a corrupt file system, it couldn't load the modules.... cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-09 20:22:23
|
> >I ran the lilo command from the tmp/lilo* directory because > >the Redhat lilo binary doesn't support the "-M" option. > > crap, but we could remove it Just for laughs, I installed GRUB on the MBR of the USB media. Set it up with an nice boot menu for different frame buffer modes, gave it a graphical xpm wallpaper/background, and it boots great! :-) It was real easy, compared to LILO (and looks a lot nicer too). (did I mention LILO sucks? ;-) Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? > >I got a few misc. errors, but nothing that sounded too serious. > >It came up, I logged in, ran setup, ... everything seemed to work. > >(except my NIC module (3c2000) doesn't exist in DL - not surprised) > > > >Anything specific you want me to try? > > Do a save-config and reboot a few times. OK, I can try that tomorrow (LUG tonight, out of time now). > I had a corrupt file system, it couldn't load the modules.... I noticed you don't have the "ro" boot parameter in lilo.conf. Could that be the cause of your problem? (I put "ro" in my grub.conf and it didn't _cause_ any problems) Should the USB media be write protected during boot, or not? Is it OK to change the write protect switch while it's running (for save-config)? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-09 21:08:03
|
On 09/09/2003 04:22:18 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >I ran the lilo command from the tmp/lilo* directory because >> >the Redhat lilo binary doesn't support the "-M" option. >> >> crap, but we could remove it > >Just for laughs, I installed GRUB on the MBR of the USB media. >Set it up with an nice boot menu for different frame buffer modes, >gave it a graphical xpm wallpaper/background, and it boots great! :-)= > >It was real easy, compared to LILO (and looks a lot nicer too). >(did I mention LILO sucks? ;-) > >Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb >script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! >> >I got a few misc. errors, but nothing that sounded too serious. >> >It came up, I logged in, ran setup, ... everything seemed to work. >> >(except my NIC module (3c2000) doesn't exist in DL - not surprised)= >> > >> >Anything specific you want me to try? >> >> Do a save-config and reboot a few times. > >OK, I can try that tomorrow (LUG tonight, out of time now). Yeah I have SCUBA club meeting today. >> I had a corrupt file system, it couldn't load the modules.... > >I noticed you don't have the "ro" boot parameter in lilo.conf. >Could that be the cause of your problem? >(I put "ro" in my grub.conf and it didn't _cause_ any problems) Just try to do a save-config with the RO. ;-) >Should the USB media be write protected during boot, or not? I would say so, but for testing it doesn't make sense. >Is it OK to change the write protect switch while it's running >(for save-config)? I guess so. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-12 21:15:30
|
> >Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb > >script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? > > Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! OK, I modified the install-on-usb script to use grub. (your lilo code is still in there, and can be selected by changing one line in the script) Give grub a try and see how it looks and works for you! :-) I still want to rework some of the code so it detects the device file better (right now it's detecting my SCSI HDD as a USB stick). And there is one current limitation in my grub code. It will only work if DL is on the first partition of the USB device. I can change that if you want me to. Or we can make the first partition a requirement. Let me know which why you'd like it. > >> >I got a few misc. errors, but nothing that sounded too serious. > >> >It came up, I logged in, ran setup, ... everything seemed to work. > >> >(except my NIC module (3c2000) doesn't exist in DL - not surprised) > >> > > >> >Anything specific you want me to try? > >> > >> Do a save-config and reboot a few times. > > > >OK, I can try that tomorrow (LUG tonight, out of time now). > > Yeah I have SCUBA club meeting today. How many times do I need to reboot for it to happen? I did it a few times without a problem. One possible problem that people may run into is they do a save-config, and reboot with a power-cycle or RESET button. The buffer hasn't been written out to the USB stick when save-config completes. I recommend putting a "sync" at the end of the save-config script. > >> I had a corrupt file system, it couldn't load the modules.... > > > >I noticed you don't have the "ro" boot parameter in lilo.conf. > >Could that be the cause of your problem? > >(I put "ro" in my grub.conf and it didn't _cause_ any problems) > > Just try to do a save-config with the RO. ;-) It works fine. The "ro" _KERNEL_ option mounts it initially RO, but the startup script remounts it RW. > >Should the USB media be write protected during boot, or not? > > I would say so, but for testing it doesn't make sense. > > >Is it OK to change the write protect switch while it's running > >(for save-config)? I booted up with the USB stick write protected. I then switched the USB to RW and ran save-config. save-config failed because the filesystem was still mounted RO. Then I ran a "mount / -oremount,rw" and save-config worked. Maybe you should check for that in save-config. If the root partition is RO, do a -oremount,rw at the beginning and a -oremount,ro at the end? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-13 21:55:30
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb >>>script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? >>> >>> >>Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! >> >> > >OK, I modified the install-on-usb script to use grub. >(your lilo code is still in there, and can be selected by changing >one line in the script) > >Give grub a try and see how it looks and works for you! :-) > >I still want to rework some of the code so it detects the device file >better (right now it's detecting my SCSI HDD as a USB stick). > >And there is one current limitation in my grub code. It will only work >if DL is on the first partition of the USB device. I can change that if >you want me to. Or we can make the first partition a requirement. Let >me know which why you'd like it. > If it's easy to implement I would suggest it. This script will then work with all kinds of media, not only USB sticks. >>>>>I got a few misc. errors, but nothing that sounded too serious. >>>>>It came up, I logged in, ran setup, ... everything seemed to work. >>>>>(except my NIC module (3c2000) doesn't exist in DL - not surprised) >>>>> >>>>>Anything specific you want me to try? >>>>> >>>>> >>>>Do a save-config and reboot a few times. >>>> >>>> >>>OK, I can try that tomorrow (LUG tonight, out of time now). >>> >>> >>Yeah I have SCUBA club meeting today. >> >> > >How many times do I need to reboot for it to happen? >I did it a few times without a problem. > It happend to me imediately . So I guess it's a problem here on my system. I'll need to take another look at it. >One possible problem that people may run into is they do a save-config, >and reboot with a power-cycle or RESET button. The buffer hasn't been >written out to the USB stick when save-config completes. > >I recommend putting a "sync" at the end of the save-config script. > That's a good idea. >>>>I had a corrupt file system, it couldn't load the modules.... >>>> >>>> >>>I noticed you don't have the "ro" boot parameter in lilo.conf. >>>Could that be the cause of your problem? >>>(I put "ro" in my grub.conf and it didn't _cause_ any problems) >>> >>> >>Just try to do a save-config with the RO. ;-) >> >> > >It works fine. The "ro" _KERNEL_ option mounts it initially RO, but the >startup script remounts it RW. > > > >>>Should the USB media be write protected during boot, or not? >>> >>> >>I would say so, but for testing it doesn't make sense. >> >> >> >>>Is it OK to change the write protect switch while it's running >>>(for save-config)? >>> >>> > >I booted up with the USB stick write protected. I then switched the USB >to RW and ran save-config. save-config failed because the filesystem >was still mounted RO. Then I ran a "mount / -oremount,rw" and >save-config worked. > >Maybe you should check for that in save-config. If the root partition >is RO, do a -oremount,rw at the beginning and a -oremount,ro at the end? > > Yeah that's probably better. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-18 19:04:24
|
> >>>Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb > >>>script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? > >>> > >>> > >>Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! Have you tried it yet? How's it look? I want to make sure the script runs on a system without grub installed. (use the script I uploaded today) > >I still want to rework some of the code so it detects the device file > >better (right now it's detecting my SCSI HDD as a USB stick). I still need to do that. Luckily mke2fs won't format a mounted partition, otherwise my desktop would be trashed! :-) > >And there is one current limitation in my grub code. It will only work > >if DL is on the first partition of the USB device. I can change that if > >you want me to. Or we can make the first partition a requirement. Let > >me know which why you'd like it. > > If it's easy to implement I would suggest it. > This script will then work with all kinds of media, not only USB sticks. OK, it's done. > >One possible problem that people may run into is they do a save-config, > >and reboot with a power-cycle or RESET button. The buffer hasn't been > >written out to the USB stick when save-config completes. > > > >I recommend putting a "sync" at the end of the save-config script. > > > That's a good idea. I added it. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-19 20:06:26
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>>Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb >>>>>script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>>Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! > > > Have you tried it yet? How's it look? > > I want to make sure the script runs on a system without grub installed. > (use the script I uploaded today) Didn't have a chance yet, had to do too much other stuff and then I head this great idea today. ;-) >>>I still want to rework some of the code so it detects the device file >>>better (right now it's detecting my SCSI HDD as a USB stick). > > > I still need to do that. Luckily mke2fs won't format a mounted > partition, otherwise my desktop would be trashed! :-) Next time I need to make sure the format works. ;-) cya Heiko |
|
From: Simon S. <si...@si...> - 2003-09-19 20:26:19
|
>> >I still want to rework some of the code so it detects the device file >> >better (right now it's detecting my SCSI HDD as a USB stick). > > I still need to do that. Luckily mke2fs won't format a mounted > partition, otherwise my desktop would be trashed! :-) to check the disksize can be helpfull to prevent desktop cleaning ;-) mostly usb sticks and cf are smaller than 1GB, to re-ask if its bigger would be a solution (not a very nice solution but it can help you run in trouble) roland |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-30 20:02:24
|
> I still want to rework some of the code so it detects the device file > better (right now it's detecting my SCSI HDD as a USB stick). OK, I spent a lot of time looking into this. I've been comparing /proc files on a machine with a real SCSI hard drive, to /proc files on a machine with only IDE hard drives (both with a USB memory stick). Guess what - all the /proc files are IDENTICAL. :-( So, I started google'ing. I started reading this thread on the kernel mailing list talking about the same problem. It seems like there is no easy way to map SCSI storage devices to device files in the 2.4 kernel (USB or otherwise). It may be possible to do it in a C program (they were talking about a bunch of system calls, but that was over my head). The purpose of the thread was discussion of possible ways to improve this in the 2.6 kernel. So, I commented out the [broken] code to list USB-storage device files in the install-on-usb script. I figured no list of devices is better than an potentially incorrect list. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-21 17:01:19
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>>Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb >>>>>script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>>Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! > > > Have you tried it yet? How's it look? > > I want to make sure the script runs on a system without grub installed. > (use the script I uploaded today) It did not work, I had to execute it within the lfs system. You need to build grub as a static binary, otherwise you get problems with the different glibc versions. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-23 18:14:47
|
> >>>>>Do you want me to install grub on DL, and write a install-on-usb > >>>>>script using GRUB with a boot menu and a horned-Tux background? > >>>> > >>>>Sure! Go ahead, would look much better ! > > > > Have you tried it yet? How's it look? > > > > I want to make sure the script runs on a system without grub installed. > > (use the script I uploaded today) > > It did not work, I had to execute it within the lfs system. > You need to build grub as a static binary, otherwise you get problems > with the different glibc versions. Yeah, I was afraid of that. (especially since your LILO script didn't run on my system ;) Please try it again. I statically link the grub binary now (in CVS). - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-09 14:12:10
|
> >> You need to do a "make dist" and then will find the script
> >> "install-on-usb" in the dist folder. Just execute it and
> >> follow the instructions.
> >
> >The script asks if you want to partition the media.
> >What partitions are required?
>
> one "linux" partition
> doesn't the script tell you this? ;-)
I don't know, I haven't run it that far.
I ran it up to this point:
./install-on-usb
Available USB storage devices:
/dev/sda1
Enter device name (the partition) of USB device (i.e. /dev/sda1) ->
<CTRL-C>
It it detects /dev/sda1 that as my USB storage device, which
makes me REAL NERVOUS, since /dev/sda1 is my first SCSI HDD!!!
I really don't want it mkfs'ing my hard drive! :-)
My USB is /dev/sdb1 (stupid script ;)
# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 36.4 GB, 36401479680 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4425 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 512 4112608+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 513 1024 4112640 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 1025 1280 2056320 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 1281 4425 25262212+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1281 4340 24579418+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 4341 4425 682731 82 Linux swap
Disk /dev/sdb: 518 MB, 518656000 bytes
39 heads, 63 sectors/track, 412 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2457 * 512 = 1257984 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 413 506236+ 6 FAT16
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(247, 38, 63) logical=(412, 3, 63)
> >What size USB memory stick is required?
> ISO size + few MB.
> So right now a 512 MB for a full install.
Good thing I have a 512MB stick! :-)
(although I'm not sure I have anything that'll boot it :)
- BS
|
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-10-25 11:47:27
|
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:56:43AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >What size USB memory stick is required? > ISO size + few MB. > So right now a 512 MB for a full install. i'm trying to install on a 128mb usb stick an iso of about 44mb. it doesn't fit. :? is this possible? -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-10-25 13:15:13
|
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:44:20PM +0200, Diego Torres wrote: > > i'm trying to install on a 128mb usb stick an iso of about 44mb. it doesn't fit. :? of course, the iso image was 44mb compressed, 147mb uncompressed. thxs at all for your patience :) -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-25 13:42:20
|
Diego Torres wrote: >On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:44:20PM +0200, Diego Torres wrote: > > >>i'm trying to install on a 128mb usb stick an iso of about 44mb. it doesn't fit. :? >> >> > >of course, the iso image was 44mb compressed, 147mb uncompressed. thxs at all for your patience :) > > > Oops, didn't see that you already sent the answer. ;-) Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-25 13:41:39
|
Diego Torres wrote: >On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:56:43AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > >>>What size USB memory stick is required? >>> >>> >>ISO size + few MB. >>So right now a 512 MB for a full install. >> >> > > >i'm trying to install on a 128mb usb stick an iso of about 44mb. it doesn't fit. :? > >is this possible? > > You're sure it's 44 MB ? ;-) Did you create a partition on the stick ? (you need to) cya Heiko |